Is there a "nursing for dummies" type book?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Sometimes I find myself going blank as what I should do for care. Obviously chocking, and unresponsive comes easy. But I wish there was a quick reference book of what I should do if someone is more lethargic than normal. Stuff like that..

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Google would fit that category

We're not allowed to have phones

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
We're not allowed to have phones

Oh well, you're out of luck!! If it makes you feel any better, all of us have wished for a nursing for dummies "save me now" quick reference guide.:woot:

If there is, I wouldn't recommend using it.

Please speak to your manager/supervisor about resources approved for your area and other educational opportunities of which you may be able to avail yourself.

Where are you working? What type of work do you do? What are some examples of times when your mind went blank?

I do feel like I "go blank" when confronted with a potentially serious situation. I finally picked the top three situations where I think I blank out, (hopefully my perception is not a reality?), and made small laminated cheat cards I carry with me at work.

If you could give some specific examples we may be able to help you more.

Practice, practice, practice.

I work in LTC. Sometimes when a resident is acting lethargic, I forget what should I do. I mean I realize that maybe I should see if they're on a narc, if they've eaten, maybe blood work, but I wish I had a lay out, like a check list of things to do

I work in LTC. Sometimes when a resident is acting lethargic, I forget what should I do. I mean I realize that maybe I should see if they're on a narc, if they've eaten, maybe blood work, but I wish I had a lay out, like a check list of things to do

Are you a nurse? A recent grad?

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

Have you done BLS? What was the first thing they taught you? ABCs! Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

Are they breathing on their own? No --> Start CPR

Are they breathing but their BP is low? Yes --> Put on 02 and start IV fluids (with an order), call a Rapid Response and/or a physician

If they are breathing and their vitals are ok, do a neuro exam. Establish their GCS. Take a blood sugar. Look at what meds they've been given in the last hour. Call the physician.

+ Add a Comment