Resume - Applying out of state but not relocating??

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Progressive Care, Sub-Acute, Hospice, Geriatrics.

I graduated in May 2017 but didn't get my PA license until Nov of last year. I didn't apply for jobs right away as I got married and moved to a neighboring border state, MD, because my husband lives there.

My license is in PA and I am originally from PA. I often visit PA as most of my family members lives there. My questions is in my resume would it be wise if I put my MD address?? Or should I use my parents?? I dont want to be disqualified due to me being out of state. Thanks for future replies!

Specializes in Oncology, OCN.

If you live within reasonable commuting distance I don't think it matters. I lived out of state for my previous job (non-nursing) for 13 years, never an issue. Of course living in the DC Metro area lots of people cross state lines going to work.

It's about an hour away. I live at the border which is almost in Deleware area.

Specializes in Oncology, OCN.

If you're willing to do the commute it should be fine.

Specializes in NICU.

If you plan on working in MD, then get your MD license. If you intend to work in PA, then don't worry about it. I live in Indiana and work in KY. Unless I decide to get a nursing job in Indiana, there is point in getting my IN license.

thanks for the replies guys!

Specializes in Pedi.

Eh, I've worked with many a nurse in MA over the years who live in RI or NH. It's understood that people regularly commute to Boston from NH and RI so it's not something that would cause one's resume to be overlooked. I've actually even worked with people who lived in Maine. People commute to NYC from CT and NJ and people in South Jersey and some parts of Delaware commute to Philly. You go where the jobs are.

When applying for jobs, using an address from a different state is a non-issue; people apply to jobs from out-of-state all of the time, sometimes from thousands of miles and several states away. However, I believe you'll need a license from the state within which you intend to practice, regardless of your permanent address; if you're planning to work in MD, you'll need an MD license. It's kind of unclear from your post whether or not that's your question.

Specializes in Pedi.
When applying for jobs, using an address from a different state is a non-issue; people apply to jobs from out-of-state all of the time, sometimes from thousands of miles and several states away. However, I believe you'll need a license from the state within which you intend to practice, regardless of your permanent address; if you're planning to work in MD, you'll need an MD license. It's kind of unclear from your post whether or not that's your question.

The OP is licensed in PA and desires to work there. She is asking if she should use her MD address on her resume for PA jobs or use her parents' address in PA because she is concerned about being overlooked if her resume lists an MD address.

Specializes in LTC and Pediatrics.

I think places that are near state borders recognize that people are going to cross state lines for work. Where I lived before, nurses were living in one state and working in the next state.

Thanks for the reply guys!! You've been very helpful. I did new tone nurse who worked in a Philly hospital but lives in Cape May, NJ. That's about a 2 hours drive (-___-) Too far but I guess you go where the job is

+ Add a Comment