Can nurses live comfortably?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I asked this question previously but in the wrong context. I just want to know can nurses, specifically in NY, afford nice things and live comfortably and not paycheck to paycheck?

Thanks.

Specializes in CMSRN, hospice.

Look up salaries in your area for the kind of position you're aiming for. Make a budget, including cost of living, emergency fund, savings, irregular expenses, hobbies, etc. Compare the two.

We can (and have) explained how we live, which overall sounds pretty comfortable, but you are literally the only person who can answer this for yourself. Budgeting and financial planning are skills you will use for the rest of your life, so start practicing now.

Stop asking random internet questions that they cannot possibly answer for your circumstances..

Warn us when you get ready to ask, "What is the meaning of life?" :p

How about you write up a budget, and research starting pay? And by research, I just mean Google it.

We can help you troubleshoot your budget.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I asked this question previously but in the wrong context. I just want to know can nurses, specifically in NY, afford nice things and live comfortably and not paycheck to paycheck?

Thanks.

I don't know specifically about New York. It will depend upon the ratio between salary and cost of living. I have lived comfortably in Boston, Baltimore, Madison WI, Spokane and Seattle. San Fransisco was a real stretch . . . fun place, but expensive and the commutes are hellacious. Comfortable to me means safe housing, a reliable car, and the ability to put food on the table and pay the bills without scrambling. I'm not sure if you're looking at New York City or Rochester, New York . . . your cost of living will definitely vary.

I think so,but some of us nurses are living paycheck to paycheck because of cost of living and the specialty we chose.

Many other lifestyle factors also come into play.

Single mom with children?

Married with children?

Single with no kids but love shopping?

Me personally,I am living paycheck to paycheck,but that is because I have to pay medical bills. My nursing job does not provide medical benefits.

That is my fault. I should have chose a different specialty and went for the Bsn right after graduating with the Adn.

Yes they can live comfortably...

Specializes in NICU.

your question should be can nurses retire and still afford healthcare and bread?

Specializes in Ambulatory Care-Family Medicine.

I lived comfortably on my LVN pay and now that I am a RN the increase in pay will pay off all of mine and my husbands student loans by the end of next year. I make enough to pay bills, put food in the fridge, put away for retirement, and go shopping every now and then.

Comfortably is subjective and will vary for each individual and each person's circumstances.

+ Add a Comment