Things I have apologized for lately

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Things patients and family members have blamed me for lately:

When they Google "CPK" they get California Pizza Kitchen not the lab value. (I assure you, the patient's barbecued chicken pizza levels are fine, though now I think I could use some supplementation myself.)

Patient hates the taste of coffee without Jack Daniels in it. Also, really hates being in the hospital for his cirrhosis and ascites. These are my fault, too.

Patient has been drinking a bottle of hard liquor every day for at least 12 years and the family wants me to fix this during my 12 hour shift.

IV opioid abusing patient blames me for their multi-year addiction because I won't give them "extra" Dilaudid.

College-aged patient non-compliant with seizure medication and drivers license is now in jeopardy because "you f****** put it in the computers and now the DMV knows." (Actually, this was literally the same day so I assume his PCP or maybe student health had reported it, probably weeks before.)

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Things patients and family members have blamed me for lately...

Daniel Gilbert, in his book Stumbling on Happiness says that we feel better when we have someone to blame for our pitfalls and lots in life.

If we apologize and say we'll do the best we can for them, then that's all we can do.

We really don't have to own responsibility, but we can give them the illusion that it is we, and not them, who have control over their lot in life.

Higher consciousness individuals soul search. Those without a higher conscious will go on their merry way believing others are responsible for their lot in life and will never be inspired to do anything for their own growth and development.

I'd be impressed with a system that interfaces with the DMV....I feel like it's a miracle if a hospitals ED interfaces with the inpatient side :) hehehe

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.
I'd be impressed with a system that interfaces with the DMV....I feel like it's a miracle if a hospitals ED interfaces with the inpatient side :) hehehe

It does, although not directly. Not all providers have access to these systems. But, yeah, it is possible and it gets done.

It never stops to amuse me when after all those stories about missing scripts because "I do not in fact need them" and etc. I pull out copy of state, interstate and international (where I live, some people used to go across the bridge to Canada to get their scripts filled to save $$$) monitoring system, with all those little sins of picking 10 to 20 pills here and there dutifully recorded. And also those reports from Florida and other sunny places about driver's license being withdrawn months ago.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Daniel Gilbert, in his book Stumbling on Happiness says that we feel better when we have someone to blame for our pitfalls and lots in life.

If we apologize and say we'll do the best we can for them, then that's all we can do.

We really don't have to own responsibility, but we can give them the illusion that it is we, and not them, who have control over their lot in life.

Higher consciousness individuals soul search. Those without a higher conscious will go on their merry way believing others are responsible for their lot in life and will never be inspired to do anything for their own growth and development.

Beautiful!

When they Google "CPK" they get California Pizza Kitchen not the lab value.

Wasn't sure what CPK was, so I googled it. They're right! It does stand for California Pizza Kitchen. Now I feel sooo edgamicated and ready for the NCLEX! :)

JK. Found out Creatine Phosphokinase (CPK) was another name for Creatine Kinase. Thanks for teaching me something! :snurse:

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Wasn't sure what CPK was, so I googled it. They're right! It does stand for California Pizza Kitchen. Now I feel sooo edgamicated and ready for the NCLEX!

You go girl.

Wasn't sure what CPK was, so I googled it. They're right! It does stand for California Pizza Kitchen.

Rewards yourself with a thin crust barbecue chicken pizza!

Specializes in Palliative, Onc, Med-Surg, Home Hospice.
Wasn't sure what CPK was, so I googled it. They're right! It does stand for California Pizza Kitchen. Now I feel sooo edgamicated and ready for the NCLEX! :)

JK. Found out Creatine Phosphokinase (CPK) was another name for Creatine Kinase. Thanks for teaching me something! :snurse:

If you haven't had a CPK Barbecue chicken pizza, you need to find one post haste! Won't do a thing about creatinine kinase levels but you'll be happy eating it!

I'd be impressed with a system that interfaces with the DMV....

I am positive our system does not communicate with the DMV. It must have been his PCP, or maybe the patient's Mom.

Thank you for this. I honestly thought everyone had the same world view but have finally learned that plenty of people do not actually have what I think of as an interior life.

+ Add a Comment