Is it even possible to NOT work during nursing school?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

While I fully respect it is possible TO work, is there anyone here who chose not to work during their program? How did you make it work?

There are loads of students who chose not to work. I imagine for many, they are able to do so because they have few expenses and have financial aid, loans, financial help from family, or any combo of the three. It can be tight though from what I've seen from friends.

Specializes in ED.

I have a supportive family that is allowing me to live at home while in school. I am supported financially through financial aid and by applying for scholarships. While this may be cheating a bit, I do seasonal work in the summer and use the saved money throughout the school year.

Specializes in psych.

I did not work when I was in school. I had saved up for classes ahead of time and I had a very supportive husband who was ok with me not working while in school. Financially we were in a position that I was able to do this. I also won scholarships to help off set school costs while I was out of work.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Back in the old days, no one worked during the school year -- just in the summer when we were not taking classes. In grad school, I worked part time. Currently, my niece is in college (pre-med major, not nursing) -- and she only works during the summer and over XMAS vacation.

It's a matter of saving up money by living cheaply ahead of time, getting scholarships, and taking out loans as needed. .... And then living cheaply after graduation to pay back the loans.

Specializes in SRNA.

I don't work and my ABSN is pretty expensive. I just don't see when I'd be able to study AND work.

My schedule is class Monday & Tuesday 9am-4pm then clinical Wednes, Thurs, Fri 6:45a-3p. Saturday and Sundays are used for studying and hanging with friends. I just don't see doing well and working with this schedule.

Specializes in Oncology, OCN.

With my savings from working for 13 years I had enough to cover my ABSN program and my living expenses for my 12 month program. It would leave me with very little savings left, though not touch my retirement funds. I planned to take out a low interest loan from my bank (have very good credit) so I wouldn't take such a big hit to my savings account but my parents decided to help me pay for some of my tuition. They are very comfortablely retired and constantly joke about spending our inheritance on their frequent vacations. It's their money and I'm glad they are enjoying it, they worked hard for it. But yeah, they also like to throw me some money for school and I'm very grateful for it.

There are people in my ABSN program who work some but I don't see how they manage it and not go crazy. I need that down time to relax outside of school work and they have little to none of that with school and work.

Specializes in Neuro.

I quit my job shortly after starting nursing school. My spouse is able to make ends meet, he also has access to regular OT opportunities with his employer. We are barely scrapping by, but we are making it. It's a means to an end.

Specializes in Pedi.

I only worked during the summers in college.

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

I did not work while attending my ABSN program. There just would not have been time. Fortunately with generous scholarship I ended up taking loans for partial-tuition only, everything else was covered via savings or out-of-pocket. My spouse and I lived frugally before, during, and after schooling so that we could survive on one income and minimize our debt. My starting RN salary is high enough that I can easily pay off my loan with in a year.

Specializes in Cardiac Telemetry, ICU.

I worked 50 hours a week for years to save up then took out loans, got approved for the Pell grant, and had/have a supportive boyfriend. Most people in my ADN program have worked at least part time because they didn't save up beforehand, already had kids on top of that, and had car payments. Plan ahead and you should at least be able to cut down to part time.

Specializes in Emergency Room.

I didn't work while I was working on my ADN. Fortunately I had my LPN and had been working for a few years. I was able to live off the money I had saved up, plus I lived with my parents rent free, no wife/kids, etc.

+ Add a Comment