PRN work?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Geriatrics.

I love my current position I have. I'm considered full time and get full benefits and I make enough money to live comfortably, but I only get 56 hours every 2 weeks. I'd like to do some PRN work that won't burn me out. Definitely do not want to go back into PDN as most entry positions have you working graveyard. Any suggestions?

Look for prn positions that have minimal requirements, if they exist. Mine requires me to be available for a major holiday, two minor holidays, and some weekends. Paired with the requirements of a full time job, I think I'd burn out pretty quickly. Plenty of people manage more than one job, though.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Any suggestions?

25 years ago, when I first worked 12 hour shifts and had boundless energy, on my days off I did shifts and visits for a home health agency.

I worked pretty much what and when I wanted.

Good luck to you, QIAW!

Specializes in Geriatrics.

I had actually talked to a manager of a home health agency because I had co-workers (who were LPNs) saying they were working both jobs and was super easy, that they got paid for each visit and could document on their own time, however the manager told me that RN's have way more to document and she couldn't see me as being able to do the full time and part time position, so I didn't take that any further.

Maybe I could get a non-nursing position, however I might get salty over the pay lol

Thank you for the comments so far!

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
the manager told me that RN's have way more to document and she couldn't see me as being able to do the full time and part time position, so I didn't take that any further.

I'm sure things have changed since I did home health, back in the days when cell phones were the size of lunchboxes!

attachment.php?attachmentid=26270&stc=1

Specializes in Home health, Addictions, Detox, Psych and clinics..

That just means that company prefers to use LPNs for the routine re-visits to save money. An RN doing a routine re-visit does the exact same "note" format as LPN doing the routine visit. It is true that an RN is able to do other types of visits which do require much more extensive documentation like starts of cares (SOC), Recerts and resumption's most of which require OASIS documentation. Maybe there's another agency around who will use RNs for routine visits :) it's worth looking into.

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.
I'm sure things have changed since I did home health, back in the days when cell phones were the size of lunchboxes!

attachment.php?attachmentid=26270&stc=1

My first "transportable phone" was almost that big. The base had a rotary dial and the handset was attached by coiled wire, just like a landline. I carried it in a sturdy cloth bag. It was quite heavy.

With it, I felt much safer driving the boondocks at night on the way to work!

I will echo what a previous poster and tell you to look for a per diem job with minimal requirements. Where I work, all they require is one shift in a two week pay period. If you pick a place with good weekend and night differentials, you can get good money for the work you do. I prefer days, and have had no trouble working when I want.

For my full-time coworkers who really want some extra money they work overtime, especially on a unit that is paying critical staffing bonuses.

+ Add a Comment