How to NOT impress the DON!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Five ways not to make a good impression on the Director of Nursing where you want to do your clinical hours to reactivate your RN license (and possibly get a job):

1. Answer the phone just as you are getting out of the shower (yes, literally!).

2. Go to find a pen in just a towel (thinking you're home alone) to discover your husband AND youngest son (27) have come home (over) for lunch. It will illicit loud cat calls from one and "Aww Mom, gross!!! Put on some clothes!!!" from the other both of which can be heard over the phone! For the record-they had no idea I was on the phone, let alone on a business call.

3. Forget that when you leave the bathroom to go get said pen you really should have closed the bathroom door because our house has this really unique alarm system. The fire alarm is right outside my bathroom (my bathroom also has no vent...it's an old house, remodeled but not with a vent!....you can see where this is going)...so it's takes a minute or so but the steam and heat from the shower hits the smoke detector and causes it to go off.

4. Have an obnoxious chihuahua that thinks it's his duty to tell you by barking incessantly that said smoke detector is going off and finds it necessary to follow you throughout the house even as you're trying to get away from all the commotion and insanity.

5. Get tickled at the absurdity of it all and laugh because honestly, stuff like this only happens to me!!!

Sure hope she has a sense of humor!!!

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
Anyone with a sense of humor would hire you immediately!

And if she doesn't, then you don't want to work for her anyway.

haha! I think you've topped it for comedy relief! That's hilarious!

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Did you stay calm? Probably the one she wants to hire as she's heard you persist through chaos! Could have been worse. Good luck

Specializes in Oncology (OCN).
Did you stay calm? Probably the one she wants to hire as she's heard you persist through chaos! Could have been worse. Good luck

I'll admit, it did rattle me a little bit at first but at some point you really just have to laugh and go with it. She did ask me to email her the necessary forms so there is that, but I have not heard back from her yet. I plan on making a follow up call tomorrow-far, far away from my house!

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.
I'll admit, it did rattle me a little bit at first but at some point you really just have to laugh and go with it. She did ask me to email her the necessary forms so there is that, but I have not heard back from her yet. I plan on making a follow up call tomorrow-far, far away from my house!

Good plan

Specializes in LTC, Hospice, Case Management.

I'm a DON & I would have been laughing right along with you. Was interviewing a nurse years ago - when the nurse stood up, her slip under her dress quickly fell down right around her ankles. Without missing a beat, she laughed and mumbled "Well that diet is going better than I thought". Picked up her slip, put it in her purse and went right on with the interview. Impressed me more than anything she said about her qualifications. Proved she was tough and humorous under pressure.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

I can't stop laughing!!! Poor kid!

Brings to mind a time several years ago when I had an impromptu phone interview for a telephonic case management job. I had been cleaning out my car in the driveway when she called, so I was a little hot and bothered already. On top of that, my cell phone connection was horrid (this was before wifi calling was commonplace) so I did the interview while pacing in my driveway and in front of my house trying to find a "sweet spot." I apologized profusely and tried to present myself well, but I think it was a lost cause at that point :lol2: It worked out for the best anyhow, as I ended up on a completely different career path.

You sound like someone who can roll with whatever gets thrown at you! I was cracking up at the mental image of you coming out in a towel to a surprise greeting by your son and husband :roflmao:

This post made me laugh...Humor is good for the Soul...

+ Add a Comment