One of our students lost everything in a fire

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in Pediatrics, Community Health, School Health.

I am in Coastal MA and as you know we had that huge Nor'easter on Friday. We had school that day, and while our students were here at school, one of our second graders' house caught fire and burned to the ground. At dismissal we were told there were road closures due to flooding, as well as a house fire. We had no idea it was the house of one of our own

:( Thankfully no one was hurt, and I know it is just "stuff", but many of our families are already needing so much and now they really have nothing. Just a difficult time for this little guy.

Specializes in kids.

Ugh...Im so sorry. What a crazy storm that was!

Specializes in School nursing.
I am in Coastal MA and as you know we had that huge Nor'easter on Friday. We had school that day, and while our students were here at school, one of our second graders' house caught fire and burned to the ground. At dismissal we were told there were road closures due to flooding, as well as a house fire. We had no idea it was the house of one of our own

:( Thankfully no one was hurt, and I know it is just "stuff", but many of our families are already needing so much and now they really have nothing. Just a difficult time for this little guy.

::hugs:: for the that family. We had a student loss everything to a fire a year or so ago. It was terrible. No one was physically hurt, but the family was displaced and separated as it was hard for any of their other family to house them all at same time.

My school put together some resources and thanks to some other generous parents got the family gift cards for groceries and to places like Target to help replace items, including clothes. We also got the student new school clothes as soon as we could.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
::hugs:: for the that family. We had a student loss everything to a fire a year or so ago. It was terrible. No one was physically hurt, but the family was displaced and separated as it was hard for any of their other family to house them all at same time.

My school put together some resources and thanks to some other generous parents got the family gift cards for groceries and to places like Target to help replace items, including clothes. We also got the student new school clothes as soon as we could.

Oh my heart. Here in the NTX we had a major tornado about seven years ago that flattened a lot of houses. PTAs from the other unaffected schools pulled together and provided some resources.

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..

Ugh, so heartbreaking. We've had two kiddos in two years who've lost everything in a house fire. Wood stoves are big in these parts...

I had a wood stove at my house growing up. I lived with my grandparents, my choice r/t school districting. We didn't have ANY smoke detectors, as sometimes on really windy days the smoke would blow back in the house. Drove my Daddy crazy. He went out and bought 10 smoke detectors, but Papaw never would put them up. Looking back I see how scary that was.

Specializes in school nursing, ortho, trauma.

i've been a firefighter for 18 years and it's always tough for me to see a family lose everything. Hope this family can find peace during this stressful time.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Thank God no one was hurt. It is just stuff but it's their stuff and I'm sure they are feeling scared and hopeless. I'm sure He is hearing the pleas for help.

Specializes in Psych, Peds, Education, Infection Control.

Agreed with OldDude - "it's just stuff" is something they'll hear and tell themselves a lot in the coming days, but it was THEIR stuff and they've still lost everything. Thank God everyone's physically okay. Love to you and your student/their family. If you're looking for ways to reach out, maybe see if staff wants to take up a collection for a gift card some place? It might just be a drop in the bucket, but I'm sure the gesture would be appreciated. Even if it isn't financial, your support is something I'm sure they'll remember.

Specializes in ED, School Nurse.

Thank goodness no one was hurt. We've had a few students/staff lose houses to fire. Like other have said, it's heartbreaking even though it's just stuff.

Yes, we have a collection started for gift cards, our school is supplying all new uniforms for him and he gets free meals and snacks here at school. It will be a long road and thankfully they are all staying with family nearby and can stay together.

Specializes in Med-surg, school nursing..
Yes, we have a collection started for gift cards, our school is supplying all new uniforms for him and he gets free meals and snacks here at school. It will be a long road and thankfully they are all staying with family nearby and can stay together.

Maybe check with the parents, and if it's okay with them, send out an email to parents requesting clothing for the kiddo and siblings if they have any, without giving the child's name of course. Communities are typically pretty good about pulling together in times like these.

+ Add a Comment