Should I Be a Nurse?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I'm an LPN and lately I've been wondering if I should be a nurse. Actually, I've wondered that since I began nursing school. I loved studying the human body and learning new things, but I feel like I'm not a good nurse when it comes to applying my knowledge.

I recently started working at a nursing home and I'm struggling. There's so much that I don't know how to do. I feel stupid and like I went to school for nothing. I'm hoping I can get the hang of it, but I'm not so sure I will. I honestly don't enjoy it. I love the elderly and listening to their stories, etc. But I hate the rest. I'm currently taking prerequisites for the LPN-RN bridge program and I feel like maybe I don't want to be an RN. Maybe I just want that accomplishment and the title.

I honestly could use some words of wisdom at this moment. I'm lost.

Thank you!

Specializes in Gerontology.

If you are an LPN then you are a nurse.

Should you go for your RN is the question.

Hard to say. If you don't not enjoy your role presently, then you may not like the RN role either.

You say you like interacting with the residents. Maybe look into Rec Theraoy or Social Work.

I'm an LPN and lately I've been wondering if I should be a nurse. Actually, I've wondered that since I began nursing school. I loved studying the human body and learning new things, but I feel like I'm not a good nurse when it comes to applying my knowledge.

I recently started working at a nursing home and I'm struggling. There's so much that I don't know how to do. I feel stupid and like I went to school for nothing. I'm hoping I can get the hang of it, but I'm not so sure I will. I honestly don't enjoy it. I love the elderly and listening to their stories, etc. But I hate the rest. I'm currently taking prerequisites for the LPN-RN bridge program and I feel like maybe I don't want to be an RN. Maybe I just want that accomplishment and the title.

Thank you!

If you're going to talk about how you don't like your job and how you're struggling with applying your nursing knowledge, you might not want to use your picture as an avatar. Actually, you might want to use a picture of a lemon tree ...even f you're just talking about the weather.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

In all sincerity, bless your heart, BabyTurtle!

Hear this : LTC is difficult, fast paced nursing. I did it and I know some great LPNs who did it and some became great RNs. DO NOT beat yourself up over this! If you love what you're doing, keep doing it.

"Everything is difficult before it becomes easy."

- A Mechanic Friend of Mine

Something else: You'll never completely stop feeling stupid. I felt stupid for the way I handled a medical situation on the geriatric psych unit this past morning. I did nothing wrong, the patient received the care they needed, but because I didn't know EVERYTHING about the cause and treatment, I felt stupid.

Belinda, my lovely medical nurse wife set me straight: "You don't do this (medical stuff) all the time so you're not going to remember everything!" She gave me a corresponding story of something she did and I immediately felt better.

I, as I believe you are, BabyTurtles, am a good nurse because I care. But I can not know everything.

My advice: Go for your RN. Enough said.

Except...

Actually, you might want to use a picture of a lemon tree ...even f you're just talking about the weather.

But you are not "Lemon Tree". You are Sour Lemon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26156[/ATTACH]

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
In all sincerity, bless your heart, BabyTurtle!

Hear this : LTC is difficult, fast paced nursing. I did it and I know some great LPNs who did it and some became great RNs. DO NOT beat yourself up over this! If you love what you're doing, keep doing it.

"Everything is difficult before it becomes easy."

- A Mechanic Friend of Mine

Something else: You'll never completely stop feeling stupid. I felt stupid for the way I handled a medical situation on the geriatric psych unit this past morning. I did nothing wrong, the patient received the care they needed, but because I didn't know EVERYTHING about the cause and treatment, I felt stupid.

Belinda, my lovely medical nurse wife set me straight: "You don't do this (medical stuff) all the time so you're not going to remember everything!" She gave me a corresponding story of something she did and I immediately felt better.

I, as I believe you are, BabyTurtles, am a good nurse because I care. But I can not know everything.

My advice: Go for your RN. Enough said.

Except...

But you are not "Lemon Tree". You are Sour Lemon!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26156[/ATTACH]

So there...words of wisdom no one can disagree with!

Of course you are struggling in LTC. It's a tough gig . Corporate is working you like a mule.. to make money for the masters.

You can use your current skills elsewhere, or get your RN degree. Either way, you are golden. Just learn how to market yourself. Search the job boards.

Best wishes.

Thank you!

Is there an area of nursing that you like. I have found that I don't like LTC. I love the residents but I don't like the workload.

Can you share what you don't know how to do?

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

You did not mention how long you've been a LPN. I started as a CNA, got my LPN, went back for my RN and still in college for my MSN. I still find things I don't know or may have forgotten. I am a float nurse currently. What I do when I find something I don't know or recall is YouTube it, ask co-workers, get out my patho textbook or my med-surg book. I have subscriptions to two nursing magazines to keep up on current trends. And yet there are still times I feel stupid as well. Be gentle with yourself regardless of how long you have been a nurse.

LTC is super stressful and busy and oh gosh, don't get me started on those long med passes. But I loved the residents and the relationships formed while working there. You mention you recently started the LTC job. It took me a good year to get more comfortable with my LTC job. It takes time, even if you are a experienced nurse. It gets better.

Thank you to everyone who has replied! I've been a nurse since September. My first job was at an ALF, only passing meds. I didn't feel like I was a real nurse working there and was not utilizing the knowledge and skills from nursing school, so I left to go to a LTC facility. I've been a CNA before in a LTC facility, so everything isn't brand new thankfully. I don't know how to do most of the paperwork, orders, etc. And the med pass takes me forever! I know that with time, I'll get faster, but I just hate the looks I get from CNAs because they look to me to know what to do and I don't! I've been watching YouTube videos and researching what I don't know.

I just don't know if my heart is in nursing. I love the elderly, but I hate the workload. I understand that every job has the good and the bad. I'm just hoping it gets better! I see these other nurses who are so experienced and know exactly what they're doing and I just wish I was like that.

I've only been an LPN since September. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

What magazines are you subscribed to?

+ Add a Comment