Texas nurses

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

Are you supposed/required to send vaccine records if a student transfers out of state? I'm having a heck of a time with a parent & thinking of just calling the school myself. We got records, but not vaccine records.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

If a student is leaving us to go out of state? I will offer if I know they're leaving; parents also have access on Skyward (our EHR).

If a student is coming from another state the parent has to have a vaccine record upon enrollment (unless they qualify for McKinney Vento). Yes, I'd just call. Other states have Immtrac-like products (Georgia's is called GRITS). I've had luck there.

Specializes in CPN.

What ruby_jane said. In Texas, students coming from out of state are not allowed to enroll/attend school until records are provided. You can try to obtain them, but ultimately it's a parent's responsibility to keep track of immunization records.

Specializes in School.

Usually, I don't. They will usually be sent when the school requests transcripts via the registrar. Most of the time I don't even know they are leaving.

If they are enrolling onto our campus, we have to have the records before they can enroll. I've only had to call a couple of times due to a split family and one parent not want to help the other.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Yes we have to call and get them from the last school. I had a hell of a time with a student, who came from California and his record had only 2 HEP B, not three and I tried to get it from his last school, no help there and called his old doctor, but she was retired and chewed me off for calling her. So the poor student had to get them again.

I would always send vaccination with students withdrawing.

Specializes in School Nursing.
What ruby_jane said. In Texas, students coming from out of state are not allowed to enroll/attend school until records are provided. You can try to obtain them, but ultimately it's a parent's responsibility to keep track of immunization records.

^^^ This. If they are transferring from out of state, the parent must produce the shot record prior to enrolling. The withdraw paperwork in our district includes vaccines. I WILL accept records if they are printed from the prior school.

I am not from Texas but here is Mississippi the previous school might send their copy of shot records but they are not allowed in school until we a signed 121 form from Mississippi. So they have to bring in whatever state shot record they have and they have to be put into our system and a nurse/Dr has to sign off on it. Crazy to think Mississippi is one of the strictest states when it comes to vaccines but we are. I just had a shot record from Texas sent to our school for a student and they will have to have several more vaccines and a nurse to sign off on it. Technically I can sign a 121 form but the student is non compliant by MS law, so they will have to get up to date before they enter school. It is up to the parent to get the previous records and do whatever is necessary in your state for compliance. All you can do is keep student out of school until compliant or whatever your state law is.

+ Add a Comment