New Nurses

Nurses General Nursing

Published

If you learn one thing in nursing, before you call a doctor or an NP or PA.....TAKE A SET OF VITAL SIGNS!

It is so basic and I have been an NP for 2 years and still come across this...it is so frustrating!

This sounds like something you should be communicating to the people you're actually working with. I find it so obvious that it's a little insulting.

Specializes in ED, psych.

Feel better?

I think you'd get more out of actually communicating to said staff, rather than a public service announcement.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
If you learn one thing in nursing, before you call a doctor or an NP or PA.....TAKE A SET OF VITAL SIGNS!

It is so basic and I have been an NP for 2 years and still come across this...it is so frustrating!

Yeah... it's a knee jerk reflex thing: "Problem? Call someone who can guide me!"

Being a psych nurse, I have to go over a checklist in my head of probable expectations before contacting the NP: "Lessee: VS? Labs? Other info?" Whereas my wonderful medical wife, Belinda, when we talk shop at home, just charges into situations without forethought and is quick and concise.

I find with a lot of nurses, especially psych nurses doing medical stuff, need a little reminding. For example:

One time when I was dealing with another patient, an RN from another psych unit said "Dave! The patient says he's short of breath!"

I responded with "You're a nurse and you can get his O2sats and give him his prn inhaler!"

Yeah. Sometimes even we old nurses just need to be reminded of stuff.

Yeah our Docs, NPs or PAs wouldn't have that poop in our ER. Don't put up with stupidity and it shall cease. Make your expectations clear and don't settle for less even (especially) if it angers people. Being mad is a great way to remember to stop being dumb.

Darn you, Spanked, for bumping this.

It's so difficult to look at, and I need to keep my ranting in check. :barf02:

And- you may as well go ahead and do a manual blood pressure- especially if the BP is really high and/or you're going to call a cardiologist.

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Yes this is an opportunity for OP, to inservice, her clinical sites......

I don't know in the 45 yrs. I've been a nurse, I've never failed to have current vital signs, when calling providers...

Specializes in Case manager, float pool, and more.

Yeah, I have heard nurses who've called the MD and sounded on the phone like they had no idea how to call the doctor to get orders or report a change. I want so bad to walk up behind the nurse and whisper "SBAR".

To the OP, I imagine that must be frustrating. As mentioned, perhaps an inservice might be beneficial for the staff.

+ Add a Comment