Mandatory flu shots????

Nurses COVID

Published

It didn't dawn on me until just right now, don't ask me why, that my choice of NOT getting a flu shot will NOT get me into a nursing program. The director at my school of choice basically stated "it is a requirement that you receive one, however you can sign a declaration that you do not wish to receive one." Then I asked, "would that inhibit my chances of getting into the program?" She replied, "well, the facilities in which we work with it is required due to you working with elderly clients; If you do not wish to get the flu shot perhaps you should look into another career."

*****?? (excuse the language) I have worked in nursing homes, health centers, private duty, home health agencies, visiting nurses association, hospice AND THEY NEVER REQUIRED me to ever receive or even ASKED if I have obtained a flu shot!!! (mid 90's)

So, anyone please tell me my dream of becoming a nurse is already dead because I REFUSE to get a flu shot???!!! seriously??? I am so upset right now!!!

You have the right to refuse. Just as they have the right to refuse you entry into nursing school or a job.

Very true. I'm just curious as to the reason the OP flat out refuses to have a flu shot? Are there allergies in play?

I'm in Canada and its the same deal here. You had to show proof of being vaccinated prior to starting clinicals, otherwise run the risk of missing time if an outbreak was declared. Majority of people did not wish to be held back a semester for missing hours due to this so we just got it done. Think long term instead of short term.

Specializes in Hospice, Palliative Care.

Good day:

"Prevention is key" if that's the case, if your car worked 9% of the the time, would you keep it or get one that worked 100% of the time (or at least close enough)?

We have close family friends whose son has autism due to Thimerosal being in an immunization shot.

So just because current studies do not show direct ties to Thimerosal and autism, adhd, along with Alzheimer's doesn't mean it is not the case.

In terms of studies that show otherwise, how many years and how many deaths did Aprotinin cause because the FDA refused to pull it even after a professor hired by Bayer's proved Aprotinin was deadly... but Bayer did not submit the study to the FDA. Even when the professor himself went before the FDA telling them that Bayer did not report his findings, they ignored his statements that his own report was hidden.

From my research, Thimerosal is only used in the Flu vaccine and no other (since 2001).

From my research, the only reason Thimerosal is used is as a preservative; and whose main need is for 3rd world countries. Yet, the U.S., Canada, et all that are not 3rd world countries still contain this deadly preservative. Why? Two reasons... cost ($$$) and being politically correct. Why, we would not want to have 3rd world countries feeling they get the deadly preservative, and others don't.

Thank you.

Specializes in ER trauma, ICU - trauma, neuro surgical.

We have close family friends whose son has autism due to Thimerosal being in an immunization shot.

Then you found the missing link that proves all scientists and doctors are wrong worldwide. You should call CNN.

Then you found the missing link that proves all scientists and doctors are wrong worldwide. You should call CNN.

I could not agree more.

Good day:

How long was Aprotinin on the market approved by doctors and scientists before the death toll started both groups to question (i.e. change their mind) the FDA?

Thank you.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Emergency, Trauma.
First of all, it's not mercury so stop calling it mercury, and do your research. Secondly, I'm happy the flu vaccine is apparently a good filter although it wasn't meant to be. I'm very thankful that there are certain nurses who will never be by my bedside. Thanks flu shot. Influenza causes more than 200,000 people in the U.S. to be hospitalized every year. All of which encounter multiple nurses. Up to 49,000 people die each year from flu-related causes. Prevention is key.

Ideally, you should get the seasonal flu vaccine by Thanksgiving -- the holiday season means hugs and kisses, which help spread the flu virus. However, getting vaccinated with the flu shot makes sense any time during flu season, which may last from September to May.

Severe allergy to eggs? Then flu vaccines -- which are cultivated inside chicken eggs - may not be safe for you. Talk to your doctor to be sure. There are more options.

Concern that there's a link between autism and the vaccine preservative thimerosal (NOT MECURY) has prevented some parents from getting their kids vaccinated. Worry no more. Studies have found that there is no link between vaccines containing thimerosal and autism. And if you’re still worried, thimerosal-free flu vaccines are now the standard for children in the U.S. -- and available to adults for the asking.

Stuck on the fact that you need to get vaccinated every year? There's a good reason. Flu viruses change, so flu vaccines must change, too. Each year's vaccine is unique, cultivated from the flu strains health officials believe will be most menacing that year.

And in the end find another career if you don't like the standards. You are fighting a machine that has more options and makes more sense than the average 1st grader. How does one cure the sick when they are more than likely making the sick sicker?

Well said!!!

So just because current studies do not show direct ties to Thimerosal and autism, adhd, along with Alzheimer's doesn't mean it is not the case.

Thimerosal in an immunization is not the reason your friend's child is autistic. The only reason anyone ever questioned a possible connection between vaccinations/Thimerosal and autism in the first place is because of one badly constructed study done many years ago by a British physician with a significant conflict of interest and a very small group of subjects, which has since been entirely discredited, and multiple studies done since then have failed to find any connection.

However, if you wish to continue being paranoid about Thimerosal, which you are certainly free to do, you can easily get a flu shot without Thimerosal -- only the large, multi-dose vials contain it. The individual-dose vials are Thimerosal-free.

As for your concerns about "political correctness," the only reason Thimerosal was removed from all the childhood vaccines was to placate the loopy parents who were not going to get their kids vaccinated because they were so scared of this crazy theory about Thimerosal and autism. It ended up being much easier to just take it out of the vaccinations than to counter the flood of paranoia and misinformation (from self-appointed, uninformed "experts") in the media.

no, the CDC is not unbiased, they have been pushing the flu vaccine so long, they can not be seen to back off now. OSHA says there is insufficient EVIDENCE, nice word, that. That flu vac. for HCW provides any benefit for the patient. Bottom line, it doesn't work. So, you want me to inject I know not what. Just because.....not good enough.

I know. It's the CDC, a far more reliable source for actual research-based information. OSHA works with the legal implications of mandatory industry standards; if you want information on the research behind the reason for getting vaccines for health care workers, refer to the CDC. And refer your patients to the CDC for any kind of epidemiological data.

Love this thread. I'm fully AGAINST the flu shot but I love nursing school so it's a no brainer. In my limited clinical experience I've had patients on dozens of meds and a medical Hx that was as long as a novella, and they were still jamming around. I think I'll be ok with a bit of eggy inactivated poison.

The real problem to all of this is capitalism. The three dirtiest, filthiest words ever -- for profit healthcare. Corporations and lobbyists run this country.

Good day:

"Our bodies naturally contain mercury, fish contain mercury, amalgam contains mercury. It's everywhere even in the air we breath, find something else to go on. 9% is better than 0%"

What % of mercury compared to what's in the flu shot?

Is mercury a poison or not a poison?

Is http://ecochildsplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/400061_482559518463336_774322065_n.png troubling in terms of how much mercury is in the flu shot?

Considering 9%... there's an old saying... if something does not work consistently, then it is broken. If your car only worked 9% of the time, would you replace it with something that works 100% of the time or keep insisting it is a valid vehicle that you will use every day to get to work?

Thank you.

How do you define "poison"? We are surrounded all day, every day by substances that are safe and even therapeutic when used correctly, and "poisonous," toxic, and even deadly if used excessively. One can suffer serious ill effects, and even death, from an overdose on most medications -- does that mean those medications should all be outlawed and removed from the market? Your website compares the PPB of mercury in the flu shot with PPB of mercury in drinking water. How much drinking water do you consume in a year, how many gallons? How does that compare to the tiny quantity of flu vaccine individuals receive once a year at most? What is the overal quantity of mercury people ingest via drinking water per year, and what is the quantity of mercury people ingest via the flu vaccine? Are you also on a crusade about mercury in drinking water?

Good day:

My wife and I use RO water; and do our best to eat organic food for which we do our homework as to its source, good and bad points, etc.

It is interesting I see zero answers on Aprotinin as well as would you consider buying or using (as your only means of travel) a vehicle that only worked 9% of the time.

Thank you.

When you have a vehicle that works 9% of the time you upgrade just as they do with the annual flu vaccine.

+ Add a Comment