Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

Hey guys!

i am new to the thread and i wish i wasnt! asking you guys questions throughout this process really would have helped. I have a friend who applied to the program with me and was rejected but, i still have not heard.....and like much of you im freaking out! I really hope that we hear soon. Congrats to all that were accepted! :)

I would share it with you but I cannot find my final draft. It may be in my old computer which gave me a blue screen of death a couple of months back. Sorry

Thanks, Emer....Anyone else feeling generous? lol

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.
thanks paco:) your comments have been so helpful! i'm sure at some point in the forum you mentioned this, but i wanted to know if you could describe what your days are like (times, classes) in the summer and up until now? just to get a feel for the schedule! how soon after accepting did you have to make payments, order books, make schedule, and all of that? also i am someone looking into housing! i am not sure if you are living on campus/off campus, do you happen to know of the options available for 1 year students?

thank you! here is what i got:

(1) ... if you could describe what your days are like (times, classes) in the summer and up until now?

here is a post from last year's thread, it roughly outlines what you should expect in terms of the schedule for the absn.

https://allnurses.com/ny-nursing-programs/stony-brook-bsn-478605-page58.html#post4789177

note that there are a couple of changes to this though since the time this was posted:

(a) summer semester: around 7-8 weeks long. nutrition is 2 credits, perspectives is 2 credits, med math is 1 credit. total credits is 19 for the summer. nutrition and perspectives were online courses, fundamentals, health assessment, and med math are live lectures. fundamentals has live labs as well. everything else is the same, including the schedule. expect to be at school most days of the week, all day as stated. your fundamentals clinical is once a week, could be fri, sat, or sun. everyone does clincial at stony brook univ med center (sbumc) during the summer.

about 10 days break between summer and fall semesters. rest up!!! :D i am serious!

(b) fall semester: the class "ecological frameworks" is no longer part of the curriculum apparently, i never took it. instead, i took introduction to health care policy, which is 1 credit. starts in oct and meets a couple of times with some online assignments, ends in jan. psych is not split like ob/peds, it runs the entire semester, it is 6 credits. everything else is the same. lectures are mon/wed 9am to @ 4pm or 6pm depending on day (until path and pharm commence in nov, then you will add fri lectures 10-12 and 1-3 respectively). psych clinicals will be once weekly on tues or thurs. ob/peds clinicals are also once weekly on tues/thurs/sat/sun, depending what clinical site you go to (all in suffolk county, may include sbumc).

about 2 weeks break between fall and spring semester. be warned: you may have your first pharm exam the first day back early january! yes, that means you will spend your holidays studying for this nightmare of a class. don't plan on going away or doing anything that will keep you from studying. again be warned! :nono:

© spring semester: legal/ethical is 3 credits. community health nursing is 6 credits, not 3. clinicals for this course are completed after graduation in may/june, a 10 day commitment (2-years will have completed this course a year prior, so graduation for them is graduation). all lecture courses are officially over around april 20. as of april 21 through graduation a month later, that's capstone (your internship with a preceptor). med-surg is formally called adult health nursing. lectures are mon 9am-7pm, wed 9am-5pm, fri 10am-3pm ... with one hour lunch incorporated on each day at noon). med-surg clinical is either tues or thurs. most people won't have clinicals on weekend, but will depend on your instructor. clinical sites for med-surg will be sbumc, north shore or lij. your capstone will depend on what option you select. your bsn is conferred on paper on june 30, which is @ 12 months from the date you started. at which time the process begins to certify you eligible to take nclex later that summer.

note: uniforms have changed since this post. they are now red scrub top (with our logo on chest, you have to buy these at bookstore), white pants, white nursing shoes (these two you can buy online or elsewhere).

(2) how soon after accepting did you have to make payments, order books, make schedule, and all of that?

you don't make a schedule, the schedule is already made for you. you are sent registration instructions and that's it. you don't get a choice in classes. once you accept the offer of admission, you won't really have to make a deposit until april 1 (at least this is how it worked for me, not sure if that is changing). you can wait until orientation to buy books at the bookstore, but i suggest you look elsewhere for your books if you want to save money. the professors will email you way before june to let you know schedules, syllabi and books you will need (as well as uniform requirements, stethescope, etc.). i forgot when tuition was due, but solar will let you know about that.

(3) i am not sure if you are living on campus/off campus, do you happen to know of the options available for 1 year students?

you can live on or off campus. some 1-years live on campus, but they pay a lot to live in there, and the only option is the west apartments, clear on the other side of campus from the health science center (hsc) where the nursing school is. most that live there take a campus bus to the hsc, or walking it would be about 20 minutes i estimate. if you have a car, i personally recommend you find a room or apt off-campus. it will be a lot cheaper. you can find lots of room listings in may/june on craigslist or stony brook's off campus housing website (google it). i found a room in early june @ 10 minutes' drive from campus, on my 2nd day of searching and after looking at 5 places. it won't be that hard if you are not too picky.

ok, enough procrastination on my part .. lol! :D ... keep in mind i am still in the program and have to study, so if your questions are not answered right away, hope you understand! :)

Paco, Would you mind sharing what the average rent is out there? I'm going to be on a tight budget and will be moving out there from the city and I'm trying to get an idea of how much I'll need. I would prefer a studio if I could afford it but would be open to finding a share with one or two other roommates.

Sbu apartment is about 1300/ month and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything decent for that much less unless you do find a roommate or a basement or something. We looked for apartments so I have first hand knowledge to how much they go for.

Paco thank you SO much for taking time to answer my questions, I appreciate it and take your time! I totally understand!

What date did you officially start the program? How has the program been for you so far?

Sbu apartment is about 1300/ month and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything decent for that much less unless you do find a roommate or a basement or something. We looked for apartments so I have first hand knowledge to how much they go for.

It's not possible to find a studio (if they even have those on Long Island) for less than $1300? I lived in Manhattan in a one bedroom for $1250. It wasn't huge, but Manhattan has to be significantly more expensive than that far out on Long Island. My rent in Brooklyn now is about half that (I have roommates). Is anyone interested in living with a roommate from the program? I'm thinking that's the route I'll end up going.

I'd say a studio would go for around $950-$1050, but I think the problem is finding a studio... that's legal, that is.

Are studios mainly basements in a house around there?

If anyone who will be in the program next year is interested, I made a facebook page (I'm a high school teacher and it's Regents week, so I have a lot of extra time this week). The name of the group is Stony Brook Accelerated Nursing Class of 2013. I thought it'd be nice to meet future classmates :-)

Wow...pretty cold in here! Moving on....

Hello! Although I didn't get into the program, I can chime in as to how much rent is at/around Stonybrook (within 10-15 minutes) as I AM a renter on long island, and have MANY friends who also rent :) My boyfriend and I rent a one bedroom apartment, a basement (but HUGE) for $1200. Now our apartment is much bigger than we would really need if we were on a strict budget. One of my girlfriends just started renting with her boyfriend (a two bedroom apartment, aka 1/4 of a house in Ronkonkoma which is about 10 minutes from SBU) for 1500. Now if two people split that, we're talking 750 a month. It's definintley possible to find a nice place to live, considering the friend I was just talking about has a taste for the finer things in life and wasn't on a budget either. Good luck for anyone looking for a place to live! May the gods of real estate be on your sides!

+ Add a Comment