Colleges drop RN_BSN programs

U.S.A. Michigan

Published

Is it true that University of Michigan and Wayne State University have both dropped the RN-BSN programs? I just read about it in my college's newspaper. How could this happen?

Specializes in Med-Surg/Trauma.

I'm sad to hear that. I'm not sure if they are canceled for good, or if it is just temporary and will return once the economy improves and schools are not facing the terrible budget cuts to their programs? All I saw on the website was that they are no longer accepting applications which seems vague. Wayne seems to no longer have the RN to masters option as well-- if you wanted your masters it looks like you'd have to get your BSN somewhere else since they don't have that option available currently and then come back for the masters.

A definite blow to those wishing to further their education.:crying2: I can't wait for things to turn around and for schools to receive better funding

I believe Oakland, UM Flint, and UD Mercy still have their programs for the what it's worth department...

Specializes in LTC, M/S, CCU, ER.

I heard the same thing, and the reason cited (by someone in administration at another college) was budget.

Specializes in AGNP.

Many schools are putting their RN-MSN programs on hold because they are transitioning from the MSN to the DNP.

Specializes in ICU/Critical Care.

I do not believe that it is true. The last time I checked WSU, they weren't accepting applicants to the RN/BSN program, to me that means that they are full. UM's program is not accepting applicants right now because they are making changes. They didn't drop the program.

UM's program is changing, they are no longer having a program that "ends" at MSN...it would be a BSN-DNP program.

I believe that Wayne still has their program, they are just not accepting applications at this time (for this cohort).

Specializes in LTC, Med Acute, Management, QA.

I believe budgets are hitting all over, I attended OU info session and for the BSN traditional, It was most likely that I wouldn't get in until 2015-16

That is crazy who can wait that long.

I believe budgets are hitting all over, I attended OU info session and for the BSN traditional, It was most likely that I wouldn't get in until 2015-16

That is crazy who can wait that long.

Wow! That is quite a while away. I'll be going to OU once I receive my ADN but I'm going to do the RN-MSN so I won't have to worry about the waitlist.

Specializes in LTC, Med Acute, Management, QA.
Wow! That is quite a while away. I'll be going to OU once I receive my ADN but I'm going to do the RN-MSN so I won't have to worry about the waitlist.

That sounds like a good idea, it appears much easier to get in a program once you have your RN. I really want my BSN and I love OU, the orientation was so organized, and the advisor were so helpful. I am going to attempt OU again when my prereqs are done; you never now. If that doesn't workout. I will consider LPN to RN at the community college level, there aren't many LPN to BSN, I only know of one and it is too expensive. I have quite a load to go, A&P, Micro and chem. What ADN program are you in? Is it going ok?

I'm at Schoolcraft College, not in the ADN program yet, but I will be applying at the end of winter semester.

+ Add a Comment