I am making a career change and scared to death of making the leap. I have been talking to the recruiter at my local community college since January, finally confessed to DH that I want to change careers, seem like I'm getting all my ducks in order and today WHAM! I realized that things don't seem to be going smoothly financially so now I'm back to second guessing my whole stinking decision on changing careers. As I write this, I'm stuck waiting until Nov 19th to find out if I can register for the class that I need before I can be accepted into the nursing program at my local community college. I was hoping to begin the program Fall 08 w/my girlfriend and started saving my last pay raise just to put a little away knowing that I would have to take a bio before I could get into the program itself, well this morning I realized that my saving strategy hasn't gone as well as I was hoping and though I will have enough to pay for my course in the spring, there won't be that "extra" that I was hoping for. It is just tough financially being married w/2 kids in daycare (thankfully 1 will be in school next year) with all the normal grown-up expenses, house, utilities, daycare, and etc. that I'm starting to wonder if DH and I can afford for me to go back to school full-time even if it is for just 2 years. I know that I can take out loans to pay for school and intend to apply for scholarships
to help but I am just feeling a pinch financially right now and don't know if we will be able to afford the program. I was thinking that if I couldn't get into the program for fall 08 I would just take night classes that would work for the program until Fall 09 which would give me another year to save but I spoke to my girlfriend today. We began to plan on attending together and use the buddy system to get us through. I have been under the impression that she is the one dragging her feet (she is planning on just taking out loans to pay for school and since she isn't really working much now, their household really doesn't need her income to function) and made a comment that if I didn't get accepted for fall then I would just wait another year and she said "you're not backing out on me are you?". Then it hit home, I realized that the reality is, she (at least from what it sounds like to me) doesn't need to take any courses to get accepted, it sounds to me like she has all the requirements for acceptance and it is me holding her back!! Now I'm just concerned that DH and I won't be able to afford this and that when I did the math to make sure we would have enough in the bank to help us get by, that I screwed up the math and am starting to wonder if we really can afford it. I'm also losing my confidence that I"m doing the right thing right now by changing careers. I would like to think it is just nerves again since the biggest hurtle I have right now is getting this last class in before I can start the program but I just can't be sure. I know that we will have to tighten up our speding while I"m in school (although I don't think DH truly understands that nursing classes have to be taken during the day even though I have informed him that at some point I will have to go to school during the day and will not be able to work full-time) and I'm o.k. with that, I'm o.k. with taking out loans and doing whatever is possible to save the money but it just seems like the money I have been stashing we have been needing lately (I have an extra stash account besides the money I"m saving to help pay for school) and I think that is what is so frustrating to me. My stash is supposed to be money that we didn't expect to have so it should have been easy to continue to save it but I have had to dip into it a couple of times now and that is hurting financially. I have been hoping to stash enough over the course of this year to pay for most of my younger sons daycare the first year I am in school and now it doesn't look like I will have enough. I'm just so frustrated right now that part of me wants to say forget it I won't bother changing careers I just stay in my comfort zone job but the other part of me says to re-figure the budget and see if I can cut expenses any more but I know that I am already working on bare bones to pay down debt so that we are in a better financial state once I have to quit working. And to top it all off, I didn't sleep last night so I'm at work just wanting to go home and go to bed. Thanks for listening to my vent, I feel somewhat better and after lunch I'll most likely sit at my desk and try to find "extra" money somewhere in the budget to stash or maybe look online for things that I know I want to get the boys for Christmas in hopes of finding that awesome deal right now (I save all year for Christmas so I have the money to get stuff now if I want to). Who am I kidding? I'll be looking for a way to redo the budget in hopes of finding extra money in there somewhere.