Nursing for Intimate care for men

Updated | Posted
by RNMikeMiller RNMikeMiller Member Educator Nurse

Specializes in PACU. Has 7 years experience.

You are reading page 6 of Nursing for Intimate care for men. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

RNMikeMiller

RNMikeMiller

Specializes in PACU. Has 7 years experience. 39 Posts

On 4/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, trytounderstand said:

Have witnessed this situation personally. Have seen supposed female healthcare professionals become very offended and sarcastic because a male patient requested his dignity be preserved. Also have witnessed female healthcare professionals saying and making suggestive comments to male patient that if it had been a male healthcare professional saying it to a female patient the females would have been up in arms.

Well said and it is because most female healthcare professionals are ran by feminism. Just once I wish they could change the genders with having 35 female nurses and 1 male nurse for a facility but have 100 patients with 60 of them being men.

I promise you if they had 35 male nurses and 1 female nurse; then several female patients asked for same gender care then changes would be made.

JadedCPN, BSN, RN

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU. Has 16 years experience. 1,476 Posts

2 hours ago, RNMikeMiller said:

Well said and it is because most female healthcare professionals are ran by feminism. Just once I wish they could change the genders with having 35 female nurses and 1 male nurse for a facility but have 100 patients with 60 of them being men.

I promise you if they had 35 male nurses and 1 female nurse; then several female patients asked for same gender care then changes would be made.

I just can’t.

For the second time today, I wish I could come up with a more intellectual response to this nonsense but I just truly can’t.

AnonymousSuper

AnonymousSuper

Specializes in Supervisor. Has 10 years experience. 1 Article; 40 Posts

I'm a dude. I don't care either way. I care about skills, knowledge, and approachability (all of which can happen whether a person has a penis or a vagina).

Edited by AnonymousSuper

RNMikeMiller

RNMikeMiller

Specializes in PACU. Has 7 years experience. 39 Posts

18 hours ago, JadedCPN said:

I just can’t.

For the second time today, I wish I could come up with a more intellectual response to this nonsense but I just truly can’t.

@JadedCPN You will never understand just like your name says because your JADED to the facts. Women get the most respect as a patient. You should go to a hospital that has 30 male nurses with zero males. Stay a week and see if your views change.

Many people wrongly assume that men don't care about their modesty. This is not true in many cases. Because of their limited numbers, male nurses and technicians are often simply not available to do intimate male procedures such as urinary catheterizations and scrotal ultrasound.

Here.I.Stand, BSN, RN

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro. Has 16 years experience. 5,047 Posts

On 4/3/2020 at 7:42 AM, SleykRN said:

I see your point, indeed I do. But try as we might, it IS true. It is certainly not being too dramatic. I have seen Directors of Nursing, male and female, look at male patients who complain, and brush them off. These people should know better, but alas, the stigma remains.

You're a guy? The double standard dictates that you "should" love any and all female touch. You just aren't being realistic to say that this stigma doesn't still pervade our society today.

I don't say you can't speak up, my point is that it is still VERY MUCH seen that you should somewhat like it, or deep down, "appreciate" the fact that some female is willing to coddle your junk. Lets be real here.

Most men will vary on this depending on their mood. Some will point out the old "where was she, when I was in high school", and some will be able to accurately point out the double standard.

Heck, I do both at times myself. I have seen men complain and I was like "look at that chick, what the hell are you complaining about sir"

And I have also felt that men should, and need and deserve more privacy, and that not enough care is taken to give it.

Most times we do both.

But the stigma and double standard still exists.

It is not at all being over-dramatic. What you do there is another male tactic that ultimately hurts us. We DOWNPLAY too much s***.

I’d be hugely creeped out if a male patient “liked” my touch... beyond being appreciative of my professional skills. Just saying.

guest966516

guest966516

26 Posts

27 minutes ago, Here.I.Stand said:

I’d be hugely creeped out if a male patient “liked” my touch... beyond being appreciative of my professional skills. Just saying.

Well, that's just it. You dont really get a say so, at least, not in regards to the double standard. I mean, there will always be women who will say "they" dont feel this way. For you, we arent talking about. However, there IS a majority of women and men, who do accept this double standard and live by it. No one exception doesnt mean the concept is disproven.

twinmommy+2, ADN, BSN, MSN

Specializes in ED. Has 17 years experience. 1 Article; 1,289 Posts

*wakes from months long coma...finds the following

-Trump is still president

-a pandemic has been released by China

-this topic thread is still going

guest966516

guest966516

26 Posts

7 hours ago, twinmommy+2 said:

*wakes from months long coma...finds the following

-Trump is still president

-a pandemic has been released by China

-this topic thread is still going

And?

You bet its still going. That's typical of women like you. You want to brush under the rug someone else's legit complaint. Until #MeToo happens to you, then the world should stop right?

Give me a break. Just go back to sleep. You are certainly free to not come back here and respond.

guest966516

guest966516

26 Posts

17 hours ago, RNMikeMiller said:

@JadedCPN You will never understand just like your name says because your JADED to the facts. Women get the most respect as a patient. You should go to a hospital that has 30 male nurses with zero males. Stay a week and see if your views change.

Many people wrongly assume that men don't care about their modesty. This is not true in many cases. Because of their limited numbers, male nurses and technicians are often simply not available to do intimate male procedures such as urinary catheterizations and scrotal ultrasound.

I COMPLETELY agree with this post. Any female nurses who come here and deny this are just disingenuous and a bad faith actor in the game.

23 hours ago, AnonymousSuper said:

I'm a dude. I don't care either way. I care about skills, knowledge, and approachability (all of which can happen whether a person has a penis or a vagina).

Then you are simply putting blinders over your eyes. Which is fine. You have your right. But maybe open your understanding to the fact that this is certainly real and still happens and exists abundantly today.

skihan

skihan

25 Posts

I haven't read the entire thread but I do see a double standard for male and female care providers as a guy who worked in special education then switched to nursing.

When I was working in childcare for children with special needs, only the male care providers were asked to have another staff for toileting; and only allowed to work with male children for toileting, while female staff can work with both genders. So it is a double standard regardless of how minor it may be.

As for nursing, in my area of Canada, male nurses are not allowed to work in female correctional facilities while female nurses are allowed to work in both female and male correctional facilities.

Satori77

Satori77, ADN

Specializes in Med Surg/Ortho. Has 4 years experience. 516 Posts

I find this thread interesting to say the least. Do I believe male patients deserve modesty? Of course I do. I've had many male patients who seemed embarrassed when I had to perform an intimate task, but most won't say anything. I've only had one male patient tell me I could not see him naked or touch him, that he required a male nurse. And I wasn't offended. I work on a unit in a hospital where there are quite a few male nurses. However, I have had many more male patients request a female nurse for those intimate procedures. That have "fired" one of our wonderful male nurses because they don't want a man to touch their genitals. I had to take over a patient once that was yelling at a male nurse claiming he "is not gay, don't touch me". I have also been asked by numerous male patients to wash them or touch them in a way that was inappropriate because they thought it was funny to sexually harass a female staff member. And I know many of my coworkers have been in similar situations, but when asking my male nurse colleagues, they have not had sexual comments made to them by female patients. So claim all you want that female patients and staff members get preferential treatment because of some feminist plot, but we have our own issues to deal with. And its not always easy.

Dany102

Dany102

142 Posts

4 hours ago, Satori77 said:

I find this thread interesting to say the least. Do I believe male patients deserve modesty? Of course I do. I've had many male patients who seemed embarrassed when I had to perform an intimate task, but most won't say anything. I've only had one male patient tell me I could not see him naked or touch him, that he required a male nurse. And I wasn't offended. I work on a unit in a hospital where there are quite a few male nurses. However, I have had many more male patients request a female nurse for those intimate procedures. That have "fired" one of our wonderful male nurses because they don't want a man to touch their genitals. I had to take over a patient once that was yelling at a male nurse claiming he "is not gay, don't touch me". I have also been asked by numerous male patients to wash them or touch them in a way that was inappropriate because they thought it was funny to sexually harass a female staff member. And I know many of my coworkers have been in similar situations, but when asking my male nurse colleagues, they have not had sexual comments made to them by female patients. So claim all you want that female patients and staff members get preferential treatment because of some feminist plot, but we have our own issues to deal with. And its not always easy.

Hello Satori77,

I don't think the issue is whether men deserve modesty or not. Many men are modest, despite what you or anyone else may have observed (and those who say they aren't are likely lying). But, social conditioning makes them believe that this is a weakness. Being embarrassed is a perceived weakness and that is not "manly".

A more "manly" response is to pretend it doesn't bother you. Better yet, just to make sure people know you aren't bothered, turn it into some sexual innuendo. Better this than to admit you're scared, ashamed or embarrassed. What you have is false bravado. An poor attempt at appearing to be "in control."

(That being said, I'm not ruling out plain jerks and idiots. I just don't believe it's the root cause. Or that it is that prevalent.)

Then you have homophobia which, sadly, seems to be rampant still. Again, this is a poor attempt at trying to convey "manliness."

I don't think it is helpful to draw comparisons. One doesn't explain the other. Nor does it justifies it.

Man are modest and deserve to have their modesty respected when they ask for it. Just like women. Thing is though... We don't get it as often as you do.

That, I believe, is the real issue.

Dany