NP with prior discipline

Published

Hello everyone, 

I have been accepted into NP school as a nurse with prior discipline history on my RN license. I have no restrictions but do have a black mark on my license. I have always dreamed of a higher education but am very concerned about finding preceptors, licensing, and finding a job. 

My acceptance letter states that due to my history finding preceptorship is not guaranteed. Understandable of course. No one can give me any guidance or advice really.. 

I suppose I am looking for advice. Would you take someone like me on to precept? Would your office allow it? 

After years of discipline I am jaded and used to having doors shut to me. Hearing yes is foreign and quite frankly uncomfortable. 

What is a black Mark on an RN license? I had to locate my own preceptor for NP, most students have to as far as I know. One can check with the BON prior to going to school and applying for licensure to see if this would hold you back from obtaining licensure. 
Just check with the BON in your state. I look forward to hearing what the black Mark is. 

OhioRN1234

201 Posts

Just now, RN/WI said:

What is a black Mark on an RN license? I had to locate my own preceptor for NP, most students have to as far as I know. One can check with the BON prior to going to school and applying for licensure to see if this would hold you back from obtaining licensure. 
Just check with the BON in your state. I look forward to hearing what the black Mark is. 

Just that I have a history of discipline. Which is viewable to everyone and will never go away. All my documents about what I did, when, my punishment, my release, etc. I admitted to using THC, no evidence of diversion. 

I did email the BON and was basically told "We don't know, apply for you APRN license when able" They will never give clear answers to someone like me unfortunately. When I view the licensure application I am able to fill it out without any hiccups as far as I can tell. It has language like "Other than this board of Nursing have you ever..." obviously they will know of the history. My advisor has never had someone with discipline attempt to further their degree.

This is what I found in the state of Wisconsin. One can apply for a predetermination from the board of nursing prior to investing in education costs and licensing costs: when actually looking at the site , one can complete the form and the board will tell you if you would be disqualified.  Worth checking out ,Good luck!

Predetermination

Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out Form 3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.

OhioRN1234

201 Posts

I have no convictions or felonies thankfully. I think licensing would be OK honestly, maybe they will put me back into some monitoring hell but I imagine I could be licensed. 

Someone taking a chance on me for preceptorships.. jobs.. those are my first hurdles. 

FullGlass, BSN, MSN, NP

2 Articles; 1,403 Posts

Specializes in Adult and Geriatric Primary Care. Has 5 years experience.

Personally, I don't think cannabis use is a big deal, and most MDs don't think so, either.  Is cannabis legal in your state now?

I'm in California, and for healthcare, cannabis use is not a "black mark" here since it is legal.

This is doable but not going to be easy. 

For finding preceptors - I would imagine that it is going to very practice driven.. I wouldn't expect you to find many objections at all at small private practices... at clinics that are owned and run by larger facilities - such as the one I'm employed - they often require to see a full background check prior to allowing students and if they wouldn't pass a pre hire background screen then we are not allowed to precept them in the clinic. Gotta love corporate uh?

Also when applying for your state license - if you were in my state - you would have to personally appear before the board but don't think you would have too much trouble getting your license for a probationary period... and I have no doubt they would tack on several years worth of stipulations because of the old charge that would include drug monitoring as well as denying the ability to write any controlled substances. 

Personally I feel this is unfair as you are being punished twice for the same crime - but they don't ask my opinion. :)

 

OhioRN1234

201 Posts

10 minutes ago, 203bravo said:

This is doable but not going to be easy. 

For finding preceptors - I would imagine that it is going to very practice driven.. I wouldn't expect you to find many objections at all at small private practices... at clinics that are owned and run by larger facilities - such as the one I'm employed - they often require to see a full background check prior to allowing students and if they wouldn't pass a pre hire background screen then we are not allowed to precept them in the clinic. Gotta love corporate uh?

Also when applying for your state license - if you were in my state - you would have to personally appear before the board but don't think you would have too much trouble getting your license for a probationary period... and I have no doubt they would tack on several years worth of stipulations because of the old charge that would include drug monitoring as well as denying the ability to write any controlled substances. 

Personally I feel this is unfair as you are being punished twice for the same crime - but they don't ask my opinion. ?

 

I have a clean background thankfully. I would have no issues with a background check. Never had a positive test. I was too honest and did I ever pay for it.. The only mark or evidence of my issue is attached to my nursing license. 

As a RN I am allowed to administer narcotics and have no restrictions. Of course the board won't tell me if this would affect an APRN license, dea, or ability to test upon finishing. I could go through all of this schooling to get nailed with another monitoring program. I can NOT go through the humiliation of that ever again. It was the worst experience of my life. I deserved what I got but I will never allow myself to sink to that level of self depreciation ever again. 

I am so torn right now.. 

5 minutes ago, OhioRN1234 said:

I have a clean background thankfully. I would have no issues with a background check. Never had a positive test. I was too honest and did I ever pay for it.. The only mark or evidence of my issue is attached to my nursing license. 

As a RN I am allowed to administer narcotics and have no restrictions. Of course the board won't tell me if this would affect an APRN license, dea, or ability to test upon finishing. I could go through all of this schooling to get nailed with another monitoring program. I can NOT go through the humiliation of that ever again. It was the worst experience of my life. I deserved what I got but I will never allow myself to sink to that level of self depreciation ever again. 

I am so torn right now.. 

For your NP exam you will not need BON approval.. it is not like the NCLEX :) so as soon as you finish your program and the school will sign off on you you can sit your exam... then you must face the BON judgment in order to obtain you APRN license. 

And as mentioned - there are a very few select states that will offer to do a predetermination before completing any education to let you know if you would be barred from a license but most (including yours as already discovered) will only say we will determine once a completed application and non refundable fee has been submitted.  

Specializes in Occupational Health. Has 19 years experience.

not going to be what you want to hear but...we had a student with a similar background issue in my program and they had completed all their disciplinary tasks, monitoring, reporting, etc. prior to entry into the program but when the time came for clinicals they could not find a preceptor willing to take them due to their hx. There is already an overwhelming amount of people seeking preceptors with very few openings and, unfortunately, this person's history put them to the bottom of the applicant pile. They ended up dropping out of the program due to being unable to complete clinicals. 

OhioRN1234

201 Posts

Just now, sleepwalker said:

not going to be what you want to hear but...we had a student with a similar background issue in my program and they had completed all their disciplinary tasks, monitoring, reporting, etc. prior to entry into the program but when the time came for clinicals they could not find a preceptor willing to take them due to their hx. There is already an overwhelming amount of people seeking preceptors with very few openings and, unfortunately, this person's history put them to the bottom of the applicant pile. They ended up dropping out of the program due to being unable to complete clinicals. 

This is exactly what I am afraid of. The school is not known for helping find preceptors and I will always be the leper. 

I was in NP school when this started. Two classes left with clinicals with a 3.9 GPA. I am just so tired of the hurdles and feeling like a loser who doesn't deserve to be where I am. 

I appreciate you sharing your story. 

Specializes in Surgery.
On 5/4/2021 at 7:06 PM, OhioRN1234 said:

Hello everyone, 

I have been accepted into NP school as a nurse with prior discipline history on my RN license. I have no restrictions but do have a black mark on my license. I have always dreamed of a higher education but am very concerned about finding preceptors, licensing, and finding a job. 

My acceptance letter states that due to my history finding preceptorship is not guaranteed. Understandable of course. No one can give me any guidance or advice really.. 

I suppose I am looking for advice. Would you take someone like me on to precept? Would your office allow it? 

After years of discipline I am jaded and used to having doors shut to me. Hearing yes is foreign and quite frankly uncomfortable. 

I would probably look into asking your own PCP, NP/PA or anyone that you've come in contact with at you own health appointments. At least someone who 'knows you' might take pity LOL and give you a chance. I actually got my WMNP this was because I was pregnant and I just asked while she was right in front of me.

Good luck