I've got trouble!!!

  1. I am a LPN. I work in a nursing home. I just recently got into some legal trouble. I was out drinking with my drunk boyfriend. We were both drunk and started to fight. He started to punch me in the head and face. He also choked me with his arm, against my car seat. He was very abusive, verbally and physically. He finally got out of my car. I then ran over his leg with my car. I spent the night in jail and got out on a $10,000 bond. I was charged with aggravated battery. I have to go back to court on Jan.14. I am afraid I'll lose my nursing license. I've never been in trouble before. Do you think I could get a diversion ?
  2. Visit GERINRS profile page

    About GERINRS

    Joined: Jul '01; Posts: 24; Likes: 2


  3. by   fab4fan
    There are so many factors that will weigh into this; you really need to get a good lawyer ASAP. It may be expensive, but if it ultimately helps you save your licensce, it will be worth it.

    It might not hurt to start going to AA now; it will show that you are serious about getting your act together, and it will be a support system for you.
  4. by   Uptoherern
    what sucks (to put it bluntly) about being a nurse, is that your antics get published in the quarterly state board of nursing newsletter, with your name, for everyone to see. Then your license gets scrutinized for something that happened totally outside of your work environment. This is ridiculous.... (did I spell that right?) Doctors are not subject to the same.
  5. by   SmilingBluEyes
    I would get a lawyer FAST. Good luck to you; sometimes GOOD people find themselves in horrid situations. Hope you both learned from this. I agree w/erdiane, nurses are subject to scrutiny few others as a profession are. It is unfair, isn't it? Best of luck to you!
  6. by   Gromit
    I would ALSO get rid of your drunk boyfriend.
  7. by   kids
    I umm...aahh...well shyt. I had something rather similar happen a few years ago...except I was out tying on a good misery drunk with my then best girl friend...misery drunk because I just *knew* my live-in boy friend was running around on me and the stupid B***H confessed she was the one he was boffing... and since she *loves* him I should just bow out gracefully.
    I announced that I was going to go home to wreck some serious havoic on his cheating a$$ and she got all pizzed off about it. And so a fist fight ensued...started in the bar...we both got physically ejected...fist fight continued in the parking lot until it was broken up by our mutual friends. I got in my car and started it to go home (4 blocks away) and throw him out...I had just put the car in reverse when she grabbed my hair thru the open window. I punched her in the face and (I thought) knocked her out of the way, backed out and drove away, not realizing I had ran over her foot.

    The police arrested me at home the next day-in front of my kids (oldest was 16) and neighbors. I spent 2 days in jail before going in front of a judge. I was released without bail due to my long term ties to the community. I was charged with felony hit & run and felony vehicular assault.

    A public defender was able to negotiate a deal to plead guilty to the reduced charge of reckless driving because (1)I was trying to leave the fight (2)there was no intent and (3) she was drunk and stupid also. The penalty was 52 days on electronic home confinement (so I was able to continue to go to work and as a single parent with no other adults in the home I allowed to take a sick kid to the doctor and was given 1 hour, 1 time per week to grocery shop), anger management classes, alchohol awareness class, $2500 fine, drivers license suspended 90 days and I had to file an SR22 ($50K bond) to get my license back and had to carry it for 3 years to keep keep it AND my employer NEVER knew a thing. If it sounds harsh keep in mind the potential penalties on the reckless was 6 months in jail, $5000 fine and no licence for 3 years...the hit & run and vehic. assault were up to 5 years in prison, $20,000 fine and no drivers license-ever.

    To improve your chances for a favorable outcome I would suggest that you (a) talk to an attorney-a public defender even (b) get a domestic violence restraining order against the boy friend (c) get an alchohol evaluation and (d) get an anger evaluation.
    Last edit by kids on Dec 28, '02
  8. by   RNforLongTime
    Ouch! I agree with the above posters who said get a lawyer ASAP! Good luck!
  9. by   Tweety
    Good luck. Get rid of the boyfriend, stop drinking, and press charges against the boyfriend. If he was being abusive that will hopefully help your outcome.

    Good luck.
    Get a Lawyer and a good one.
    Post a restraining order against the boyfriend, and get him out of your house if he is there.
    If you have anything documented on past abuse get it together and bring it to your lawyer.
    Get an evaluation of your mental status , because it will be brought up in court.
    ASAP go to AA and get into the program, and if you can an anger management evaluation if you can get one.
    Get your act together and pray that your butt isnt fried with the Board in the state that you live in. It will depend if its a closed case or not. Anyone can report what happened to the Board and they will investigate. So try to get a closed session with the courts.
    Good luck to you
  11. by   renerian
    Wow how horrible.

  12. by   nurseleigh
    Let me start off by saying that All ideas expressed in this post are strictly the opinions of said poster. Follow any suggestions at your own risk.

    Now that I have covered my butt here is my thoughts.

    If what I have been told is correct, your license would only be in jeopardy if you are CONVICTED of the battery charge.

    If you do not have an attorney yet, and cannot afford one, start calling every one of them listed in the yellow pages and ask for a free legal consultation. Most lawyers will grant a free first visit and it will give you a chance to see what they can do for you before you have to start paying them. Or just call the courthouse and ask to speak to the public defender.

    I would definitely be talking to a lawyer about what kind of options you have at this point and how to best save your license.

    Also, I disagree with the above comments that you should quit drinking. Just start drinking responsibly. Hell, just because I get into a car accident doesn't mean I am going to quit driving!!! but that is just me

    best of luck to you.

  13. by   emily_mom
    Get a good lawyer. I don't know if I would go with a public defender...they are so overworked and may not be able to give your case the attention it deserves.

    I would also file for a restraining order. It's worth the money and will show the courts that he is abusive.

    You were drinking and driving...that's going to negatively affect you. I think you should quit (at least for the time being) and talk to a counselor about it.

    Check your options. If you agree to plead guilty to a lesser charge maybe they will expunge the charge from your record when your conditions are met. If you've never been in trouble before, this is possible.

    Say, was anyone witness to this? Do you have any pictures of what your face looked like?

    Please keep us posted.

  14. by   BellaTerra2002
    Can't just call the courthouse and speak to a PD. A PD is appointed at the first hearing IF (1) she doesn't want to plead guilty at that time; and (2) it is determined by the Court that her financial situation is such that she could not afford a private atty. It used to be that you could just say that you couldn't afford an attorney. Now you're made to fill out a financial questionnaire and it is evaluated (at least it is here in the state of CA). Over the past month, for the first time, I've been seeing a lot of Prelim's with a lot of PD's. And my suggestion is, although there are some (not many) good PDs: Get a private atty that specializes in what you are going through. Look in the Yellow Pages under Attorneys (or lawyers), or get a referral through a friend.