Intro and Question about BSN vs ADN

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Hi all - I've just discovered this site but I've wanted to be a nurse for the last 6 or so years. I'm a 30 yo SAHM to three and it seems like I've spent the last five years having babies and taking care of them while putting nursing school on hold. I've been waiting for the youngest to get old enough that I feel comfortable going back to school (he's just turning one) and I've registered for a prereq class this spring. I'm thinking it will be another year before I start nursing school and I'm debating b/w ADN and BSN. I have a bachelor's in a completely unrelated field (electrical engineering) and I have or can take most of the prereq's for BSN this coming year so either one will take me two years. I would prefer to go to cc because of the cost but I've read on here that there's often a waiting list for cc programs which scares me. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to! Also, will I find any bias against ADN nurses? Will I not "qualify" for certain jobs with an ADN? Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any replies.

I too have another degree. I chose an ADN due to the cost (and for me it was shorter in terms of time frame). I've seen no bias (ADN vs BSN) in the jobs I am offered or what I am paid. :)

I am probably going to work towards an online BSN degree, mostly because I've taken so much school it seems a little weird not to be working towards SOMETHING.

I'm so glad you asked these questions! I was wondering myself...

If I am not accepted for Fall 2005...I've decided that I will take some classes that apply to the BSN program. I am currently seeking the ADN at a CC. I'm 36 - ain't gettin' any younger...and the cost was reasonable.

Specializes in Operating Room.

There are many threads on this topic, and even some "debates" lol. I have read that there isn't any difference, except with a ADN, you can't do certain things like management.

As far as bed side care, there isn't any difference, and pay isn't hardly different, if any difference at all. I have a scholarship for my ADN, but I know I will do the RN-BSN route later.

If you have a degree already, see if there is a program where you just take the nursing classes. I'm not sure how that is handled. Also, check to see if you can qualify for any scholarships b/c you are switching careers. I know you will not qualify for federal grants with a degree already, but there may be some private scholarships available to you. Check with different college's financial aid departments.

As for my cc, we don't get put on a waiting list as some other cc's do. It goes by GPA of the prereqs...now at a minimum of a 3.77 to get in. If there is a tie, it goes by the amount and GPA of the other required non-nursing courses already taken before application time.

Good luck!

DePaul has a program that if you already have a degree and have an ADN you can go right to an advanced degree, MSN.. i believe

only direct program like that in the state of IL.

There are lots of online options too.

I have a bachelor's degree in teaching. I spoke to an advisor on the phone yesterday and said I would have to take the A&P and Microbiology classes and then I could start the two years left for BSN. She hasn't seen my transcripts yet so I am thinking I also may need to take Probability and Statistics.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

There are pros and cons to doing either/or. I choose the ADN because it was cheap and the only program in the town I lived. The nearest BSN program was 2 hours away.

Both degrees get you started out at the bedside with a license as a Regestered Nurse. You can make good money and get good positions with the ADN. My positions are based on your experience, your attitude and your profressionalism. I was offered an administrative position, that requires a BSN/Master's preferred. I'm sure it was understood that I would go back and get my BSN, but they wanted me then while I had an ADN. But they wouldn't have taken someone off the street without a BSN. So there are options with an ADN.

There are certain jobs in education, public health, administration that are shut out to ADNs, just depends on what your interested in doing and what in the future you might think you'd be interested in.

I'm in a RN to BSN program now, because in 20 years I'm not sure I want to be running up and down these halls pulling and tugging on patients at the bedside, although I'm perfectly content with it right now. I might want to teach, or who knows. If I get the BSN now, I may not use it, but it will be there if/when I choose to do something else.

I see much value in the BSN and advise if you are able to go ahead and get it now. Even if you go the ADN now, take some prereqs for the BSN while if you have to wait. Who knows there may come a time when the BSN will be the entry level for all RNs but that's another heated debate. LOL

It's nice to know though there are options.

Good luck.

Hi all - I've just discovered this site but I've wanted to be a nurse for the last 6 or so years. I'm a 30 yo SAHM to three and it seems like I've spent the last five years having babies and taking care of them while putting nursing school on hold. I've been waiting for the youngest to get old enough that I feel comfortable going back to school (he's just turning one) and I've registered for a prereq class this spring. I'm thinking it will be another year before I start nursing school and I'm debating b/w ADN and BSN. I have a bachelor's in a completely unrelated field (electrical engineering) and I have or can take most of the prereq's for BSN this coming year so either one will take me two years. I would prefer to go to cc because of the cost but I've read on here that there's often a waiting list for cc programs which scares me. I don't want to wait any longer than I have to! Also, will I find any bias against ADN nurses? Will I not "qualify" for certain jobs with an ADN? Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any replies.

I am an ADN with a non-nursing Bachelor's. I also was a late in life nurse and began in nursing at age 35. I have had NO trouble with jobs at all. The only problem I have encountered is the bridge courses for an MSN with a non-nursing Bachelor's. They are totally useless. Because of that, I chose NOT to go on with my MSN (and don't need it anyway). I did my RNC in my field and went on to get other certifications which I needed and wanted as well. As far as bias, never. Going through an ADN program, you will come out with far BETTER clinical skills (not to mention critical thinking) than those from BSN programs. While I would encourage a high school student to go for a BSN, I would not for someone older like you and me You can always do that later if you wish or bridge right into a MSN program. Good luck. Going into nursing is the BEST thing I ever did! I would do it all over again :rotfl: ,too.

Thanks for all the replies. It reassures me that so many people have followed/are following a similar path to becoming nurses. It's also reassuring to know that there is no bias against ADN nurses. I will look into scholarships, but I have a feeling it will still probably be less expensive to go to cc and that is probably what I'll do. I would love to get my BSN - we'll have to see what happens. In the meantime I'm counting the months (hopefully not years :) ) till I start nursing school.

Gina

I have applied to the diploma RN program and an accelerated BSN program. Both will take the same amount of time to finish about 16 months. The only difference is that the BSN program doesn't have a limitation on science courses. My mircro is 10 years old and so is my chemistry. I don't have to repeat them. I am hoping to get into the BSN so I can get it out the way. I know that I would want to get it later, so I figure I should get it out of the way now. I will probably go to whichever one I get accepted into first.

If I was you I would go ahead and get my BSN. Sure at first coming out into nursing you may not want to go directly into management or some other area that requires higher education, but what about when your 40 or 50 not just 30 years old? Do you want to have to go back to school at that age? Or do you want to be doing the more physical labor of nursing at 40 or 50 years old. (I am not trying to be disrespectful to any older nurses. :) )

Get it out of the way now instead of later. If you wait to long you may have to repeat additional courses because they are to old. But in the end you have to do what's right for you. If it will take about the same time why not go for a degree with better long term options?

+ Add a Comment