VA Hospitals?

Specialties Emergency

Published

I recently got a job in the ER at a VA hospital. I was wondering if any of you work at a VA hospital and if so has it been a good experience? I am really enjoying it so far but am wondering if there are any long term issues that may come up. I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this correctly. I would appreciate any input. Thank You!

Kelly

Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.

talk about being amidst a sea of beaurocracy

I hated the VA hosps

and Im a Viet nam Vet

they might be better now

cant be any worse than they were

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I'm a Navy vet - and have worked in the MICU/CCU of the VA in Indianapolis. Absolutely loved it. No issues.

never worked in one. I heard the pay is excellent in my area, but the staffing sucks.

Specializes in Nursing Education.
I recently got a job in the ER at a VA hospital. I was wondering if any of you work at a VA hospital and if so has it been a good experience? I am really enjoying it so far but am wondering if there are any long term issues that may come up. I am new to this site so I hope I am doing this correctly. I would appreciate any input. Thank You!

Kelly

I work at the VA in my area and love it. There are issues, but not anything different from civilian hospitals ... Pay is generally competitive, but the benefits are really the best. Wish I had done this years ago when I was younger. Good luck.

Kelly

Congratulations on your job, I really have no knowledge as to whther is a good experience or not, just wondered if you could give me pointers in how to get a job with the VA. Are you a government employee or did you go through an agency? I am hoping to finish school this summer and was looking for ideas.

:balloons: Marylin

Specializes in Nursing Education.

Congratulations on your job, I really have no knowledge as to whther is a good experience or not, just wondered if you could give me pointers in how to get a job with the VA. Are you a government employee or did you go through an agency? I am hoping to finish school this summer and was looking for ideas.

:balloons: Marylin

Marylin - you can go on this site and see if the VA in your area has any open positions. http://www.vacareers.com

Generally speaking, Registered Nurses are excepted positions, which means that they are not required to take the civil service exam. In many cases, VA hospitals are hiring RN's. In my area, they were holding on any new hires until the Federal Budget was approved. Apparently this is something that goes on each year. Anyway, complete your application and speak with the nurse recruiter. It took a couple of months for me to get into the VA system, but I am glad I did it. The experience has been great so far and as far as I am concerned, the VA is not very different from civilian hospitals, except for the fact that you get to care for some pretty important people, namely, the vets!

Good luck.

Specializes in Corrections, Psych, Med-Surg.

It was the most helpful, supportive, best equipped, and best organized of the dozen or so healthcare facilities where I have worked. They offer a LOT of educational support for those who want to increase their certifications and upgrade their licenses.

I always use the VA for my own healthcare.

AND on the two isolated occasions (at different VAs) where I felt my care was not adequate, I simply wrote to the medical director, who each time had the matter thoroughly investigated and wrote me a long letter of apology and explanation.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will start looking now, I am hoping to get into an ER since that is where my heart lies at this moment.

Again, thanks for the info.

Marylin

Specializes in RETIRED Cath Lab/Cardiology/Radiology.

RNPATL, my experience has been the same. I wasn't hired right away (they chose another "outsider," who left after a few weeks, and then they called me back), but it did take only two months or so, applying and all. I've now been at the VA almost a year and it's been a good one. I do agree, we care for some VERY special people, the vets. I'm proud of our particular facility, we have some good people working here. Check it out. Benes are good, and I want to check out the educational help, soon; don't know if I've been here long enuf yet. :)

RNPATL, my experience has been the same. I wasn't hired right away (they chose another "outsider," who left after a few weeks, and then they called me back), but it did take only two months or so, applying and all. I've now been at the VA almost a year and it's been a good one. I do agree, we care for some VERY special people, the vets. I'm proud of our particular facility, we have some good people working here. Check it out. Benes are good, and I want to check out the educational help, soon; don't know if I've been here long enuf yet. :)

I live in VA right now but was raised in CA, anyone know about the facilities there?

Thanks for the input Dianah

Marylin :coollook:

Hey all of you thinking of going to the VA or PHS or IHS, don't forget to look at the opportunities for loan repayment/forgiveness by the gov't. :)

Just a reminder.

hitechlvn

+ Add a Comment