would you cross a picket line????

Nurses Activism

Published

Yesterday one of my nursing coworkers told me about some strike in OHIO and that she was going to take a travel assignment to that area..... I am totally happy where I am, but I was kinda wondering what that atmosphere would be like...I feel that everyone deserves healthcare and can understand her position that she goes where the money is but, crossing a picket line???? I just do not think I could do it. Obviously those nurses are in extreme duress to have to strike.....So, what do you all think could you cross a picket line????? I do not think I could.

Specializes in Critical Care.

Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!

If you really feel for the patients, you will help the nurses who are advocating for them by striking for better (read: SAFER) working conditions.

Sleepy....

Right on!!! I totally agree with you. I just could never do it.... and what is amazing to me is that she can and has no problems with it. This Coworker I speak of is an Agency-travel Nurse. I wanted to know if there were like minded people like me who feel that it is totally wrong to cross that line.....Like I said, if these nurses were compelled to strike, then obviously they had serious issues that need to be addressed. To undermine the last resort for them to bring the issues to the forefront is just totally wrong. As for patient's needing healthcare let the company have the suits get their groove on with direct patient care. that is just my opinion and it may not be a popular one but.......... oh well.........

No. I would not undermine another nurses' cause, especially when they are striking for better work conditions and have had the courage and determination to make a statement.

Linda

No, there is usually a very good reason why nurses are out on strike. Why would I want to work at a place that treats its staff so badly they feel a need to walk a picket line? You should also remember that a lot of strikebreaking nurses find themselves in very unsafe positions, like having too many patients and being forced to work in areas they aren't trained to work in.

Specializes in Trauma,ER,CCU/OHU/Nsg Ed/Nsg Research.
Originally posted by Sleepyeyes

NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!

If you really feel for the patients, you will help the nurses who are advocating for them by striking for better (read: SAFER) working conditions.

Hi! This is my first post! I have personally never crossed a picket line when I was a contract nurse, but I think that it doesn't necessarily harm the striking nurses' cause if the hospital has to fill their staffing quotas with nurses for whom they have to pay around $70/hr to be there. Hit 'em in their pocketbooks, and they'll be swifter in rethinking their policies and payscales in order to keep their staff nurses happy.

I will never cross a picket line, hitting the suits in the pocketbooks is not enough. Soladarity is the only way to change, we must support each other.

Originally posted by zudy

I will never cross a picket line, hitting the suits in the pocketbooks is not enough. Soladarity is the only way to change, we must support each other.

I agree with you- I wouldn't cross a picket line myself. And I wish we were unionized in my state. But, it has been shown that nurses advocate for patients- NOT the hospitals, that's for sure! In light of that, I think an overpaid nurse is better than no nurse at all. If the opportunity arose, I would probably be right on the picket line with everybody else, but I would also want to know that my patients were being taken care of while I was doing it. What a catch 22!

i would not cross a picket line, either. it amazes me how hospitals refuse reasonable requests from their staff nurses, but are willing to shell out exhorbitant fees for strike breakers.

nurses who cross the line usually give some lofty reason such as, "i can't bear to think of pts. going without care...they are the victims." but would these same nurses come work at these hospitals for the wages the hospital usually pays? probably not. and in the end, they are undermining what the nurses are fighting for, and putting $$ over improving working conditions for their fellow nurses, which ultimately improves pt. care.

The suits pay the extra for the strike breakers from their insurance, and the strike is prolonged, if not broken.

Wow, I didn't know that they had insurance for that. No wonder there's a shortage!

+ Add a Comment