Where do I get LVN malpractice insurance?

Nurses LPN/LVN

Updated:   Published

Specializes in med surg, telemetry, stroke.

Hey guys, I am a new LVN Grad starting my first job in med/surg at my local hospital this week. I need information on . I live in California. I thought information would come with my license but it did not. Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks and God Bless you all. wave.gif.f76ccbc7287c56e63c3d7e6d800ab6c

i've had the same company since i was an lvn:

http://www.nso.com/

1-800-247-1500

congratulations!

:yelclap:

:yeah: :yelclap: :yeah: :yelclap: :yeah: :yelclap:

I know this is a question that's about a year old, but your insurance might be coming due again soon so I thought I'd throw this out there:

NSO quoted me $300 a year for full-time LPN/LVN.

HPSO quoted me $98 for the same coverage!

I live in Colorado, so your mileage may vary depending on your location.

Derek

This might be a dumb question, but I'm a newby.

I'm 2 wks out from taking the NCLEX. From what I heard from some of the instructors, we don't need additional because you get it at your place of employment (hospital)? Do we need additional or do not all hospitals offer this?

Thanks for hopefully clearing up this question. :D

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Thank you Siri so much! That was very helpful.

And to hear other viewpoints to it.

Thanks again!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

You are quite welcome, baylay. It is always good to read other viewpoints - make an informed decision!!;)

For Baylay: In my opinion, your instructor is putting out "bad" information when she/he states that you can rely on your employer providing you with coverage that is sufficient in case of a claim. From personal experience, my employer "covered" me in a case and provided legal representation, however, during the initial meeting that we had with the attorneys we were asked if we had our own insurance, instructed that between the employer and our insurance we should be sufficiently covered, and also told that there was a possibility that the legal representation would be withdrawn by the employer if circumstances warranted. Now where would I and the other nurses involved have been if we got dropped in the middle of the lawsuit? If you do any research at all on the subject of medical lawsuits and the need for insurance you will find that it is recommended that each individual carry their own insurance. I have been covered by NSO since nrsg school. I don't sell insurance but I can tell you from experience that you need your own insurance. It is your license, your livelihood, your assets (if you ever get any), that you are protecting. Well worth $98/yr.

Specializes in Geriatrics & Pediatrics.

I have NSO and they charge only 85 a year i believe. well for me they did.

Hey, thanks for this thread! I just linked to NSO.COM (and they had "link from allnurses.com in the drop-down box!) and paid $45 a year for the maximum coverage - $1mm - 6mm.

apparently it pays to explore all the options. Next year, I'll look for the option you mentioned!

Specializes in ICU, PICC Nurse, Nursing Supervisor.

has anyone looked into napnes. this is a lvn organization but i think they have (low cost) for it's members .

+ Add a Comment