If your license is disciplined

Nurses General Nursing

Published

and you did not know about it and you ask the BON what address the charges against you were sent and they provide an unofficial document that has your signature on it, probably copied, and you were on the other side of the country and ask for proof that you received notification, do they have to provide this proof? I have been asking for proof for months and all they say is "you signed it.

I have been searching on the Freedom of Information Act but could not understand much about it. It seems that they also have something about being able to disclose or not allow certain information to be disclosed.

I have had several consults from lawyers and in different states and always get a different answer.

Probably few of you have been faced with discipline by the board, with the exception of impaired nurses, but I thought I would through it out there anyway.

Thanks for any possible information.

Specializes in pediatrics.
and you did not know about it and you ask the BON what address the charges against you were sent and they provide an unofficial document that has your signature on it, probably copied, and you were on the other side of the country and ask for proof that you received notification, do they have to provide this proof? I have been asking for proof for months and all they say is "you signed it.

I have been searching on the Freedom of Information Act but could not understand much about it. It seems that they also have something about being able to disclose or not allow certain information to be disclosed.

I have had several consults from lawyers and in different states and always get a different answer.

Probably few of you have been faced with discipline by the board, with the exception of impaired nurses, but I thought I would through it out there anyway.

I'm not sure about what happened to get you in this situation, but I want you to know you are not alone. I am facing this situation and I thought I never would. I have discovered thru searching the internet that you are far more likely to face than BON than a malpractice suit. I have learned a lot of lessons regarding choice of employers, poor, inexperienced managers and miserable nursing staff can all contribute to board complaints. Most boards receive a myriad of complaints, many minor. Do not make the mistake of thinking only impaired nurses or dangerous nurse receive board complaints. There is a lot of vindictiveness. My best sugesstion is to visit the web site for the BON of the state in which their complaint was lodged and review their statements regarding disciplinary proceedings to determine your rights regarding a hearing of the charges.

If they state you signed a document that you did not, I would think your lawyer would start by validating your signature. Also, Does the BON typically send statements via certified mail. Review when and where it was sent and obtain proof you were not a resident.

What are the answers you are getting from the lawyers you have consulted? Are you consulting lawyers who have experience appearing before a BON. You should specfically consult with that type of lawyer. They are however hard to find. I would try the referral line for the Bar Association in your area. If no luck, try locating lawyers who have experience with employee law (i.e. wrongful termination type cases), they may have lawyers in their firm who have reviewed cases before the pharmacy board or other licensing boards and may be able to stir you in the right direction.

Sending you a pm.

Specializes in pediatrics.
Sending you a pm.

I'll try to send you a pm back

What do I do if I think I could be suspected of obtaining narcotics in the hospital but don't know for sure?

So the BON had a complaint from someone about you, they acted on that complaint and they didn't notify you? They just signed your name to those forms? Do you know what the complaint was about?

It should be quite easy to obtain any documents they have that you signed. Nothing private about that. There should also be an attorney's signature on there if you had one. Work through that attorney.

Are you licensed in your current state?

What do I do if I think I could be suspected of obtaining narcotics in the hospital but don't know for sure?

What makes you feel this way?

Do you guys work w/Pyxis?

Specializes in if its out there, ive done it.

I would just like any information from anyone whos ever had to face the BON. General info, I dont want your particulars, I just need to know what Im up against, thats all. To those who've been there and done that, I hope things are going well. For those, like me, who havent but will,,,,,YOU ARE STILL GOOD NURSES AND NEVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT.Thanks.

fighting the board is a scary thing....they suspended my husbands nursing license with an anon call about how he handled a confused and combative patient during restraint placement... the board of nursing never even spoke with him...they just suspended his license until we can prove him innocent in dec....our lives are turned upside down....and we have no recourse until then..... we hired an attorney....450.00 an hour to defend him ..... lost his income ....we are lost and afraid..... if anyone had advise or words of wisdom....please send a private message......laura...

Specializes in Emergency Room.
fighting the board is a scary thing....they suspended my husbands nursing license with an anon call about how he handled a confused and combative patient during restraint placement... the board of nursing never even spoke with him...they just suspended his license until we can prove him innocent in dec....our lives are turned upside down....and we have no recourse until then..... we hired an attorney....450.00 an hour to defend him ..... lost his income ....we are lost and afraid..... if anyone had advise or words of wisdom....please send a private message......laura...

my heart goes out to you and your family. i don't think most nurses believe this can happen to them, but it can. just like someone else mentioned, it so important that nurses choose the right employer and the best environment to work in. when i think about the working conditions and high patient acuity we are forced to work under it really makes me want to get away from bedside nursing. i worked hard for my license and my income and situations like these just make me more motivated to do what i can to secure my future.

can someone you work with really just call the BON and say something about you and your license is suspended without investigation?

I found this under COMPLAINTS from the NCSBN website

The majority of nurses are competent and caring individuals who provide a

atisfactory level of care. However, when a problem is experienced with a nurse and you believe that the nurse's performance is not acceptable, you may file a complaint through the state licensing authority (typically, the state board of nursing). You should consider filing a report with the state licensing authority when you believe what a nurse is doing or not doing might cause harm to you or another person. Complaints should not be sent to NCSBN, as we have no authority over individual nurses.

Boards of nursing take complaints seriously and each board has a process for intervening in situations where a nurse fails to practice appropriately. Boards have statutory authority, specified in each state's Nurse Practice Act, to take various types of action for violations. Boards can only take formal action if it finds sufficient basis that the nurse violated state laws or regulations. Each case will vary and needs to be considered on its own merits. The final decision that is reached by the board is based on the findings of an investigation and the results of the complaint process. Many complaints are resolved through informal processes (e.g., negotiated agreements sometimes called Consent Orders). In other instances, a formal administrative hearing is held. Throughout the complaint review process, the nurse's due process rights are assured. That means that the nurse is informed of any allegations regarding the nurse's practice, that the nurse has an opportunity to respond and defend against the allegations and that the matter is heard by a fair and impartial decision-maker.

+ Add a Comment