Orientation Today

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in Trauma ICU, MICU/SICU.

I'm so excited I couldn't sleep last night! :D

I never felt this way when pursuing my Biology degree. I've had this nursing bug my whole life and it feels so good to finally get going.

It feels like Christmas around here. If this is how excited I am about orientation, what's it going to be like when I actually start my first nursing class? Or my first clinical?? :eek:

Thanks for letting me share! :chuckle

How coooooooooool !! You made it! :balloons: It is so nice to hear from those who have made it through the grind of pre-req's. I can't wait to be in your shoes. Congrats, and I hope your hubby or SO takes you out for a big 'ol fat steak dinner with a hot fudge sundae! I will be in your shoes come next fall. So then you can toot a horn for me, k? :roll Keep us updated on how it's going! Heather

Specializes in PCU, Critical Care, Observation.

Always remember the excitement you have right now--because there will be times while in the nursing program where you wonder if you made the right decision in pursuing this degree. It's hard for me to believe it's been nearly a year since I was excited about orientation. I remember it clearly & it helps get me through those tough times.

How did orientation go?

Specializes in Emergency & Trauma/Adult ICU.

I know the feeling you're talking about, Sue ... so I got a rush just reading your post!

Hang on to that feeling - there will be days when you need it!

Best of luck,

~Leigh

Thanks for your replies!

Orientation was a lot of fun. We met the director and one of the professors (mine). Everyone seemed very nice along with being brutally honest regarding the difficulty of the curriculum.

Our uniforms are white pants and blue tops. The downside is the tops are snap front (really easy to un-snap, snap fronts :eek: ) I think I'll be wearing a tank top. I could just see my clutsy(sp?) self getting caught on an IV pole and ripping my shirt wide open for the world to see on lacy bra day! :chuckle

We'll start clinicals around week three. We will do "marathon skills" learning in lab during clinical times during the first 2 weeks. Our books should be available by the 5th of January and it was recommended that we read the first 14 chapters. That will probably be our average per week.:uhoh3: Hey, if y'all can do it, so can I!

Well, I really need to go to bed now. Been pumped all day.

Thanks for the advice to remember this feeling when things get overwhelming. I'll try, I'll really try!

That's so exciting, Sue!

(Still waiting for my letter.):o

Specializes in critical care; community health; psych.

Hey Sue! So glad you shared about your experience. Our orientation isn't until the first day of class but I did purchase the 3" thick syllabus that gives me at least some idea of what we'll be doing. I'm going to start popping into the skills lab this week to watch videos which is what was suggested in our package. We registered for our Nuring I classes yesterday. Uniforms are bought and in the closet; stethescope and shoes are ready to go. I feel just like you do. Excited and can't wait to get through the remainder of this term.

I have mine next week. I cant wait!!!!! I know exactly how you feel.

I hope our uniforms are similar (without snaps), I dont want to wear ALL white. I need some color in my life.

~Glad to hear things are going so well right now~

:D

Specializes in Adult Med-Surg, Rehab, and Ambulatory Care.

That's awesome, Sue! :) Where are you going to school, if you don't mind my asking?

That is so exciting!!! Best of luck to you in school!!

Sue

That's so exciting, Sue!

(Still waiting for my letter.) :o

Hopin' and prayin' you get a YES very soon!!!

RNKitty

I did purchase the 3" thick syllabus

Our "clusters" (a syllabi that are too big, I guess to be called syllabi) won't be available until after the 1st of January. I can't wait to get them.

I got my uniform tops yesterday and a pair of see-through :eek: white pants. I ordered some "no see through" pants at http://allheart.com so if they fit well I'll take the others back. I also ordered a Littman SE II (in purple!). I've read so many posts about buying a cheap steth. I decided why pay $20 for a cheap steth and then another $60 for a good one. So a good steth. it is. Got my name engraved on it ($15 vs. $5 steth tag) so if someone does steal it, they won't be able to use it around me.

I'll sew my patches on sometime this week and am mailing my deposit today. Whew, I'm blabbering on and on and on...

Lindsey, hopin' you don't get snaps :D

Maire

That's awesome, Sue! Where are you going to school, if you don't mind my asking?

Northampton Community College in Bethlehem PA.

Thanks again everyone for your replies. Its so nice to have other nutty people who get just as excited about orientation! :roll

Specializes in critical care; community health; psych.

Oh yeah, the all white from head to toe look a/k/a abominal snow creature. Very bright. My uniform is all white with a logo. My hair was very pale light blond. I was so washed out looking between the stark white and blonde hair, I went and dyed my hair back to its natural medium brown. Looks like that's the only color I'll be getting.

+ Add a Comment