** Any Class of '09ers out there?? Post here!!!

Nursing Students General Students

Published

i noticed the thread in the prenursing forum about class of '08 and i did post there but thought maybe i would start a thread specifically for '09 and see who is out there!! (plus it would suck when everyone graduated and left me alone in the post haha) i'm using the same format as that post because it was so good. post your info. here and introduce (or re-introduce) yourself!! it would be great to be able to support one another right to the end!!

name: karen

school: brandon university, canada

program: 4 yr. bachelor of nursing

what area of interest at this time: i am just really open to anything at this point .. so much to learn and i feel that this is just opening up to me and i will figure out where my interest lies.

biggest fear: not sure of that either. i am not sure if i will gag over anything or not. maybe my biggest fear would be looking stupid, but heaven knows i've done enough of that!

what you'd like us to know about you: i'm a mom of 4 (2 boys, 2 girls) and have worked (and still do) as a christian camp director for the past 5 years. i'm really enjoying university again. i graduated back in '85 with a b.ed. the next year i took a stats course and didn't go back until 2005 fall .. so on paper it took me 26 years to complete my pre-reqs haha .. in reality i (mostly) did them all since last fall!

my really neat thing this year is that my oldest daughter is going to be going to university at the same time as me but taking music! that is a very unique opportunity!!

i'm looking forward to talking with you all and helping to encourage you any way i can! :roll

Specializes in Home Health Care.

Name: tanzanite

School: Indian Hills Community College

Program: Associate Degree Nursing

What area of interest at this time: everything, but I'm leaning toward mental health especially dementia.

Biggest fear: Failing the NCLEX

What you'd like us to know about you: I'm a new graduate practical nurse, and a wife & mother of three kids . I plan to earn my bachelor's in nursing so I predict I'll be graduating in the class of 09 too :)

great idea. and we'll pick up people next year too.

name: malia

school: university of hawaii at manoa

program: bsn

what area of interest at this time: icu (but changes on a regular basis)

biggest fear: clinicals

what you'd like us to know about you: this is my 2nd degree. single so i have don't have much else to do but study. ;)

Yay, I'm glad we have a few already!! Just bumping this up!

name:butterfly

school: tidewater communith college

program: associate degree nursing

what area of interest at this time: everything, going more towards ob or foresenic

biggest fear: not getting accepted

what you'd like us to know about you: i am a newly wed just celebrated my first anniversay 5/14/06. no kids, full time student and full time employee

I am a class of '09 hopeful....I hope I don't jinx myself now. I'll be officially applying to the ADN program at my cc this November...just finished my prereqs (no more chem....woohoo!!!) :D

Welcome to 3rgenRN2B, butterfly82, maliat and Tanzanite!! Hope others can join us soon!!!!

My question of the day is: When and why did you decide to pursue the career of nursing?

mods: Can we make this a sticky?

I'm a new graduate practical nurse, and a wife & mother of three kids . I plan to earn my bachelor's in nursing so I predict I'll be graduating in the class of 09 too :)
Are you working as a practical nurse now? When will you go to school for your BN? How long does it take in your program?
My question of the day is: When and why did you decide to pursue the career of nursing?
Ok, time to RE-answer my own question! I was trying earlier and my dh was fiddling around with the breakers and I lost the post when the power flashed off!!

When: Anyhooooo, I decided back in March or April 2005 that I should return to university to pursue a BN ... well I didn't exactly know what programs were offered so I just went into my old alma mater and asked.

Why: It finally came to me what I could be when I grew up! I originally was going to go into Speech Pathology as a second degree .. somehow I wound up with a B.Ed., planning to go on and with no desire to teach .. I applied and was accepted to a college in the states (only gave myself one option) and then my dh couldn't get a work visa (we had just married the year before) so I returned here and took a stats course. I never dreamed it might come in handy toward a degree in 20 years. Anyway, I have always felt in my bones that I belonged in the health field somewhere so hopefully I have found my niche!!

Ok, that wasn't nearly as good as the first time I said it but oh well!

Welcome to 3rgenRN2B, butterfly82, maliat and Tanzanite!! Hope others can join us soon!!!!

mods: Can we make this a sticky?

I was working on my Masters in Library and Information Science. But I kept getting sick. I was diagnosed with asthma, and then mono AND then had gallstones and my gallbladder out. So I finally went on leave of absense (which I should have done, like 3 quarters earlier) and my Mom was helping me pack. She asked what else would I want to do if not librarianship and I said nursing??!!!

So here I am, almost two years later since I made that decision. I'm slightly impatient and wondering what I'm doing in a 3-year program. But oh well, I know it's a very good school. And I got in, on my first try.

Malia

Specializes in Home Health Care.
Are you working as a practical nurse now? When will you go to school for your BN? How long does it take in your program?

No, I'm not planning to work as a practical nurse, but I'm very proud to have accomplished it. (however if I fail out of my program, I'll certainly take the nclex-pn and go to work :) )

In my curriculum, all first year ADN's take the same courses as PN's and all graduate together, get pinned and recieve the same diploma's. I just started my 2nd year last week and will graduate with an ADN next May 07'. Then I plan to take the NCLEX-RN next summer, take a foreign language class, U.S History, statistics, and composition 2, then I will be eligible to transfer to the U of Iowa as a junior for my Bachelors Degree. They start in the summer and I could technically be finished in 08', but I want to take my time and graduate in 09' instead.

Specializes in Ante-Intra-Postpartum, Post Gyne.

Name: HeartsOpenWide

School: Humboldt State University

Program: 3 yr. Bachelor of Nursing (already did the pre-requs which are considered the first year of a fourth year)

What area of interest at this time: OB. I want to go on to become a midwife

Biggest fear: Failing

What you'd like us to know about you: I have wanted to be a "baby doctor" for as long as I can remember. When I got into high school I struggled with math and figured the medical stuff would never happen. After I got married I went through a medical assisting program and graduated with honors. I worked for two years in which I decided right away that medical assisting was not enough for me, I wanted to become a Nurse, and all of the doctors I worked with kept incouraging me to go back to school. I worked until I could afford to go back to school and then only worked in the summer time. I got accepted to a BSN program about two months ago. I was very excited because I had also applied to an ADN program and was 72 on a "throw every ones name is a hat even though some have better grades" list.

I am nervous because I do not know any one in my nursing program. All of my students in my pre-req classes applied to the ADN and are either getting in or on a waiting list (because they did not do the extra classes to apply to the BSN)

I love people and hate paperwork. A big factor when deciding whether to go into Law or Medicine.

I love animals. My husband and I have four snakes a turtle, two dogs, three cockatiels and two bearded dragons...and no kids!:lol2:

I am 5'2 and weigh about 105. My husband is 6'0" and weighs about 250. I am an only child and my husband is the second oldest of thirteen children. Going against what they teach you in Psych (that people are more likely to be attracted to those like them) in our case, opposites really do attract.

+ Add a Comment