NAI descent: Roll Call

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatric, Behavioral Health.

I'll start off:

1/4 mix Blackfoot and Cherokee (maternal)

Update as of 8/13/2007:

In my heart over the years, I have grown more to accept the wisdom that it does seem foolish to say I am part this and part that. It is a mindset that we have become accustomed to though....to compartmentalize all our pieces and parts....ignoring the whole of who we are. In my previous way of thinking, I would have most likely introduced myself as that 1/4 Indian and 3/4 Caucasion man. Nowadays, I see myself as a man with Indian and Caucasion heritage OR simply a Caucasian and Indian man...a whole person....who in his heart and mind, tends to walk in both worlds.

zw4.gif

So, in saying this, the roll call here acknowledges anyone with American Indian descent.

Mitakuye Oyasin

(We are all related)

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

1/32 Cherokee........does that count?:uhoh21:

My hubby is half Apache though.;)

Seneca ancenstry (paternal) and adopted Brother Of Cherokee.

Specializes in ER, NICU, NSY and some other stuff.

carded 1/8 Choctaw. Actually am 1/4 Osage and some Cherokee (not sure actually how much)

Specializes in Surgical/Telemetry.

1/8 Algonquin, First Nations.

Specializes in ICU/CCU/MICU/SICU/CTICU.

My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother were both 100% Cherokee. So 1/4 from both sides.

Im so glad to see this forum!

I think I am 1/8 Cherokee.

Family legend has it that my maternal great grandmother was Cherokee. That would make her heading west about the time of the removals to Oklahoma, with a permanent stop off to Illinois. I tried to find her on the Rolls, but in all likelihood, she declined to join as she was already assimilating into white culture. I have her photograph, and if not Cherokee, she was descended from one of the Eastern peoples. I have cousins who were able to document Lumbee in their line (the side I am not kin to), but as far as I know they couldn't get any paper on the Cherokee lineage. It is possible we are Lumbee -- easier to say you are Cherokee than to explain the precarious political and historical lineage of the Lumbee. Interestingly enough, one of my dentists was into the anthropology of dental features. He looked at my teeth and declared I was descended from either Native Americans or Asians. How's that for answering the roll call?

I'll start off:

1/4 mix Blackfeet and Cherokee (maternal)

Specializes in Community Health Nurse.

1/4 paternal Cherokee, 1/4 paternal Blackfeet, 1/4 maternal Cherokee, 1/4 maternal Mohawk. Add those all together and they equal "one whole"........so does that make me a "whole" NAI? :lol2:

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

On my father's side my great-grandmother was Cherokee.

Specializes in Transgender Medicine.

Carded 1/16 Choctaw. Name: Laughing Fox. :lol2: Hey, at least Laughing Fox is better than Farting Hare, at least that's what mom always told me.

I am 1/4 Blood Blackfoot(my paternal grandmother was born on the rez in the early 1900's) and 1/16 Cherokee on mothers side.

I think I am 1/8 Cherokee.

Family legend has it that my maternal great grandmother was Cherokee. That would make her heading west about the time of the removals to Oklahoma, with a permanent stop off to Illinois. I tried to find her on the Rolls, but in all likelihood, she declined to join as she was already assimilating into white culture. I have her photograph, and if not Cherokee, she was descended from one of the Eastern peoples. I have cousins who were able to document Lumbee in their line (the side I am not kin to), but as far as I know they couldn't get any paper on the Cherokee lineage. It is possible we are Lumbee -- easier to say you are Cherokee than to explain the precarious political and historical lineage of the Lumbee. Interestingly enough, one of my dentists was into the anthropology of dental features. He looked at my teeth and declared I was descended from either Native Americans or Asians. How's that for answering the roll call?

That's fascinating that your dentist could make such a determination based off your teeth!

+ Add a Comment