should mushroom nursing schools be abolished or not?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi! We have a debate in our school which is entitled "should mushroom nursing schools be abolished or not?"

A mushroom Nursing school is a low-standard nursing schools that produces low-quality or not-really-that-trained nurses.

Please reply with your comments.

I really want to hear them.

*I'm for ANTI-abolishment

Specializes in ER, Teaching, HH, CM, QC, OB, LTC.

I do not know about abolishing these programs base on critria "low-quality or not-really-that-trained nurses" who established the scale of comparison? What is reveiwed. Nclex pass rate, employment rates, continued nursing education of graduates. Surveys of current & pass empler of graduates.......

I also wonder how thses programs stay open. If a school can not train its students to meet the minium requirment of passing the board, the BON would step in. At least in Va & NC where I have taught they do.

Also, why would students continue to apply to a program that could not show success with high Nclex pass rates??

Sorry! I guess I miss the intent of the question.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

Why ever would you NOT want to close schools that turn out poorly prepared nurses???:(

You may have those types of schools in the Philippines, we don't have them here in the United States.

Why would you be ANTI-abolishment? Are you attending or planning to attend one of those schools? Maybe it's the only type of school some people can get into.

Im for the abolishment of nursing schools that are below standards.

* patient's safety

* maintain quality care

* maintain nursing professional standards

:wink2:

Specializes in Ante-Intra-Postpartum, Post Gyne.
Im for the abolishment of nursing schools that are below standards.

* patient's safety

* maintain quality care

* maintain nursing professional standards

:wink2:

:yeahthat:

I am also thinking what it would be like to have to WORK WITH these kind of people. I have worked with poorly trained people in the past and I ended up picking up the slack...

Nursing has not become the most trusted profession buy turning out low standards...we have worked a long hard time (and still are) to be considered professionals. These schools would only set us back wards. IMO

Why would you be ANTI-abolishment? Are you attending or planning to attend one of those schools? Maybe it's the only type of school some people can get into.

We were assigned to do a debate regarding its pro's and con's and I was chosen to be a part of the ANTI- group. :)

Specializes in ORTHOPAEDICS-CERTIFIED SINCE 89.

No offense but I hope you lose the debate. There's no excuse to maintain substandard ANYTHING. I'd be in favor of promoting a betterment of the nursing schools before abolishment. But... they all should be required to meet the highest standards or they shouldn't be in business in the first place.

i heard a pre-med student say that if she couldn't get accepted into a medical program here is usa she could always get in a program in caribbean

i don't know if these are dipolma mills or not kinda scary

Specializes in Critical Care.

Your argument should be that initial and wider access is made up by both experence and the greater supply of nurses.

I'm not arguing THAT point, but if I had to ARGUE this as a counterpoint, I wouldn't focus on quality, because you'll lose.

Instead, focus on quantity.

That is the essence of the debate: quality vs. quantity. Your position is quantity. Don't focus on quality as that is the OPPOSITE position in the debate.

Focus on the benefits of quantity and use 'experience' as the focus that detracts from the quality argument.

Now, NOBODY flame me. I'm not making any arguments here, just pointing out how to frame the need to take the counter argument to the discussion.

~faith,

Timothy.

Specializes in Critical Care.
i heard a pre-med student say that if she couldn't get accepted into a medical program here is usa she could always get in a program in caribbean

i don't know if these are dipolma mills or not kinda scary

Do you know what you call the student that graduates last in their class from the American University of the Caribbean? Doctor.

Or, did you know, and statistics bear this out, that 50% of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class?

~faith,

Timothy.

+ Add a Comment