Have a question as to what to do...community college or university?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

hello everyone, i am 22 attending a community college have about 72 credits have all pre-req's for aas degree besides a&p 2 and med term and have most done for bsn degree besides both chemistry's. i am confused and don't know what to do. apply to community college and wait 3 years to get in, apply to a local university and never get accepted because i don't have a 4.0. any advice or prior experience in my situation? i am so frustrated and confused at this point.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatric, Behavioral Health.

thread moved to pre-nursing student forum from introductions & greetings forum. this will improve visibility of your post, placing this type of post in the forum which best matches. in future, try not to make all of your text in red...hurts the eyes. also, if you should have some disagreement with a member on an issue, it may appear flaming when your text is in red. hope you obtain the feedback you need here to help answer your question.

welcome4.gif to allnurses.com !!!

and thanks for registering as a new member!

in our forums, you will find all the nursing news, support and direction that you will need as a new or seasoned nurse in the field. we have about 150 forums in total.

our list of different forums is located here: https://allnurses.com/forums/

have a topic to discuss or question to ask? go the the list of forums, pick the forum that best matches, and post in there (pg 13 language always). you will get feedback. so, check back often.

just a few bulletin board reminders for new members:

gs_3a2396d35f5f50580b9857766f6ee1c3.png

gs_301a447781d72e503eefc5df60e6a572.png

gs_de7ce6b354e4cf05c34a865f2c530f3b.png

gs_fbc1d029847852809343e78846d8968e.png

gs_7d05fdce68e576e1a7213b0ec73cc3f5.png

and, lastly

gs_16ed8558aa8b34ed8071ac2ac7b8c2ee.png

well, that should get you started. and, we hope you enjoy allnurses.com and participate often. we are a community of nurses (and future nurses) who enjoy being at the service of each other!

writingwelcome.gif

your supermoderators of the introductions & greetings forum,

smilingblueyes & thunderwolf

thhello8fb.gif ....pp0321_b.jpg....

please note: if your username/board name (mine is thunderwolf) is the same as your real full name, please contact admin for a new username. no full names are to be used as usernames, unless cleared by staff. protect your personal identity. to change your username, submit 3 new usernames to administrator -->brian. he will pick one, then contact you via private message (pm)...see top right of every page to access it.

the link to submit your 3 new username choices to brian is:

https://allnurses.com/forums/newthrea...ewthread&f=128

we not only value our members...we also value their anonymity as well.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

You don't know that you won't get accepted into a BSN program because of your GPA unless you try. Try despite any restrictions they have set for a minimum GPA. The reason is because (and they don't publish this in their catalogs) some schools will sometimes disregard their own rules and take on a student who is motivated and has shown progression in becoming a better student and better at studying while racking up all their pre-reqs. Also, you don't know that people are beating down their doors to get into their BSN program. They're not going to tell you that either. So, if they have a certain number of spots to fill, you may be able to get a place. You'll never know if you don't try. The worse that could happen is that they will turn you down. At least you knew that might happen. The best is that you get accepted and you're on your way to being an RN a lot sooner.

Specializes in LTC.

Apply for both and see what happens. If you get stuck on a waiting list for 3 years, it's a perfect time to take the BSN pre-reqs and see if they'll let ya in.

Specializes in PeriOp, ICU, PICU, NICU.

Welcome aboard! Let me tell you what is worst............never trying!

You need to apply to as many schools as you can and be confident in yourself.

Think about it. Good luck :)

Specializes in Operating Room.

Hi and welcome to AllNurses.com! :)

We can't limit you by trying to tell you one is better than the other. Apply for both.

As you work toward the BSN requirements, you can keep applying to the community college until it's time to apply to the university.

Good luck.

Specializes in Medical-Surgical-Ortho-Neuro-Agency.
hello everyone, i am 22 attending a community college have about 72 credits have all pre-req's for aas degree besides a&p 2 and med term and have most done for bsn degree besides both chemistry's. i am confused and don't know what to do. apply to community college and wait 3 years to get in, apply to a local university and never get accepted because i don't have a 4.0. any advice or prior experience in my situation? i am so frustrated and confused at this point.

wow you have a lot of credits!!! if i were you i'd have to both cc and private school, in the hopes that you'll gt accepted. if i were you i would apply to more than 1 private school, just to increase your chance of getting into a program. then you will have the chance of looking at the whole package for example, financial aid, scholarships, tuition, traveling, student activities, or whatever else that you believe you should receive from a school.

here in ny, i know many non-straight a students who were accepted and graduated from several private universities. at times i feel that they probably received a way better nursing education, than i currently get at my school, whose nursing program is ok.

just shop around, but whatever you do, don't give up on your dreams!!!

+ Add a Comment