Jump to content

Dismissal from Nursing program; options?

Students   (3,119 Views 26 Comments)
by Vlp0609 Vlp0609 (New) New Student

208 Profile Views; 12 Posts

Hello my fellow peers, 

I apolgize in advance for this is a lengthy post. 

So I have been a nursing student now since 2016 and currently in my last year. I attend a private institution. 

[A little disclosure: I would of graduated May 2018 but I had a setback. I was going through some outside stressors which was beginning to interfere with my education. I wasn’t managing my time effectively, therefore causing me to miss not one but two clinical days. From that, I received (2) academic warnings and had to then sit in front of the dean of the school to prove why I want to be in the program. The meeting resulted in me withdrawing to “find myself.” I was granted an oppurtunity to come back in the fall (August 2018) on the condition that I do not receive any further academic warnings this time around or else it would mean grounds for dismissal]

So this brings me here: A week ago, I was under investigation due to an incident that occurred in my clinical rotation. A complaint arose that three individuals had witnessed me vaping around the premises of the hospital where I was having one of my rotations at. The fact of the matter is I wasn’t vaping, nor do I have ownership of one. The school that I attend investigated the complaint further by reviewing camera footage but the footage did not find proof of that occurring. But because they had three eyewitnesses, they have decided to dismiss me from the program. I’ve very passionate about Nursing. I’ve been doing very well academically/clinically up until this moment. I’m devastated. 

My questions:

1) Would I be able to appeal this and win? 

2) Would another Nursing program even accept me after this? 

3) Is it advisable to make this a court case? 

 

Appreciate any/all advice and/or feedback. Thank you all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

415 Posts; 2,005 Profile Views

2.  Yes.  Every program is run independently.  And they're all going to make their own choices of who can and can't get in.

1 and 3.  Failing out of nursing school can potentially end your chance at a nursing career.  You also paid money to go to school.  That doesn't go away.  If you used loans, you're still responsible for paying them back.  If your story is true, I'd reach out to a lawyer ASAP (meaning tomorrow), and act quick.  Let one advise you on where to go from here and who to talk to and what to say.  There's a potential that you can have some court cases, but it's going to depend on a lot more detail than what you gave us.  Appealing it isn't a bad idea, but I'd get a consultation with a lawyer first, because if you say the wrong thing in your appeal, you can accidentally ruin your chance at using court as an option if it doesn't get resolved.

Edited by tonyl1234

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 Posts; 208 Profile Views

Appreciate the feedback! Thank you so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sour Lemon has 9 years experience.

3 Followers; 4,237 Posts; 30,598 Profile Views

5 hours ago, Vlp0609 said:

Hello my fellow peers, 

I apolgize in advance for this is a lengthy post. 

So I have been a nursing student now since 2016 and currently in my last year. I attend a private institution. 

[A little disclosure: I would of graduated May 2018 but I had a setback. I was going through some outside stressors which was beginning to interfere with my education. I wasn’t managing my time effectively, therefore causing me to miss not one but two clinical days. From that, I received (2) academic warnings and had to then sit in front of the dean of the school to prove why I want to be in the program. The meeting resulted in me withdrawing to “find myself.” I was granted an oppurtunity to come back in the fall (August 2018) on the condition that I do not receive any further academic warnings this time around or else it would mean grounds for dismissal]

So this brings me here: A week ago, I was under investigation due to an incident that occurred in my clinical rotation. A complaint arose that three individuals had witnessed me vaping around the premises of the hospital where I was having one of my rotations at. The fact of the matter is I wasn’t vaping, nor do I have ownership of one. The school that I attend investigated the complaint further by reviewing camera footage but the footage did not find proof of that occurring. But because they had three eyewitnesses, they have decided to dismiss me from the program. I’ve very passionate about Nursing. I’ve been doing very well academically/clinically up until this moment. I’m devastated. 

My questions: 

1) Would I be able to appeal this and win? 

2) Would another Nursing program even accept me after this? 

3) Is it advisable to make this a court case? 

 

Appreciate any/all advice and/or feedback. Thank you all. 

I'd be shocked if this went in your favor. You've already had issues and warnings and actually withdrawn ...but were allowed to come back. It makes no sense that they'd create some imaginary vaping story to push you out.
Who were the "three individuals" who witnessed you? Are they credible people? If so, I don't think it matters much that they couldn't find you on camera. If they're three felons who were arrested for breaking into your house last summer, then you may have something.
I guess you don't have anything to lose by trying, but I'd keep my hopes realistic if I were in this position.
Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Followers; 5,550 Posts; 27,138 Profile Views

Wow, what did you do to piss off three separate people that would inspire them to risk their own standing in the program in order to lie about you and get you kicked out of school????

Are they that vindictive or do you think this is a case of genuine mistaken identity? Do you have that every man/woman look about you?

Good luck, hope it works out.

 

ETA:  I just realized you said "three individuals," not three students. In any case, that's a bizarre accusation. Hope you can succeed in your appeal.

 

Edited by Horseshoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 Posts; 208 Profile Views

Quote
10 hours ago, Sour Lemon said:

I'd be shocked if this went in your favor. You've already had issues and warnings and actually withdrawn ...but were allowed to come back. It makes no sense that they'd create some imaginary vaping story to push you out.
Who were the "three individuals" who witnessed you? Are they credible people? If so, I don't think it matters much that they couldn't find you on camera. If they're three felons who were arrested for breaking into your house last summer, then you may have something.
I guess you don't have anything to lose by trying, but I'd keep my hopes realistic if I were in this position.
Good luck.

Yeah it sounds bizarre. But there’s more to the story ofcourse. During clinical i had left the unit to grab a snack at the hospitals cafeteria. Thereafter i as i was walking down the hall, by the cafe, that’s when i noticed a gentleman who i assumed worked there, looking at me. He was standing there with two other guys who happened to be conversing with one another at the time. They must of worked at the hospital too. Now as i got closer to him, is when he had questioned me if i had vaped. i had given him a look of confusion, but replied no. He then replied saying he thought he saw something as i was walking up down the hallway and shook his head. I didn’t think anything of it just replied once again with oh well no sorry. I didn’t vape. And kept it moving. It was then at the end of my clinical, my professor brought me to the side and explained to me that 3 security guards had made a complaint of me vaping. So as you guys can see this is where I’m assuming that it was these very guys who made that complaint. It wasn’t three separate individuals on three separate locations. And most importantly it couldn’t have been because i wasn’t vaping. It’s so frustrating :( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 932 Posts; 6,534 Profile Views

Who has a problem with you?, not saying it is your fault. Do you smell like you vape? Do you vape?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 Posts; 150 Profile Views

So, only because I worked with substance abuse consumers for a while - I am seeing signs (WHICH MAY BE WRONG AND MAKE ME VERY HAPPY) that there may be substance abuse issues. 

Quote

he school that I attend investigated the complaint further by reviewing camera footage but the footage did not find proof of that occurring. 

You sound shocked that the footage did not prove anything. 

Anyway - fight until you can't fight anymore. You and you alone have invested financially, emotionally, physically and mentally in yourself - don't let anyone take that away from you just because they are doing their job. 

1) Would I be able to appeal this and win? Follow the appeal procedure. A win depends on your defense and evidence so prepare properly.

2) Would another Nursing program even accept me after this? Not without a thorough investigation

3) Is it advisable to make this a court case? Costly but wouldn't be necessary if you win an appeal. 

 

All the best 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 Posts; 208 Profile Views

20 hours ago, Workitinurfava said:

Who has a problem with you?, not saying it is your fault. Do you smell like you vape? Do you vape?

It was a crowded hallway. Idk what the man may have thought he saw but whatever it was it led him to question me when i passed him in the hallway. I don’t vape which is what’s bringing me to try and investigate ways to see what i can do to prove just that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 Posts; 208 Profile Views

3 hours ago, TxRn408 said:

So, only because I worked with substance abuse consumers for a while - I am seeing signs (WHICH MAY BE WRONG AND MAKE ME VERY HAPPY) that there may be substance abuse issues. 

You sound shocked that the footage did not prove anything. 

Anyway - fight until you can't fight anymore. You and you alone have invested financially, emotionally, physically and mentally in yourself - don't let anyone take that away from you just because they are doing their job. 

1) Would I be able to appeal this and win? Follow the appeal procedure. A win depends on your defense and evidence so prepare properly.

2) Would another Nursing program even accept me after this? Not without a thorough investigation

3) Is it advisable to make this a court case? Costly but wouldn't be necessary if you win an appeal. 

 

All the best 

No i don’t have substance abuse issues. If that was the case i wouldn’t even bother to try and find ways to fight this. I mentioned the fact that nothing was found on cameras to give details on my situation. Ofcourse nothing would of been found on cameras because vaping did not occur. But thank you for your feedback. I am still trying to find a way. I’m still awaiting on the dismissal letter from my school to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 Posts; 150 Profile Views

Okay, good to know. I know this is difficult for you. Don't face it alone if you don't have to. Use all supports possible. Do appeal once you receive the letter. All the best. 

And if you take legal routes make sure those people who "saw you" are questioned further. 

Edited by TxRn408

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Posts; 570 Profile Views

So I know that they can test to see if people smoke.  A lot of the hospitals here won't hire smokers.  Could you request the school conduct a urine test for nicotine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×