BON Reprimand For Being Late To Work 3x

Published

  • Columnist
    Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development, Freelance Writer. Has 30 years experience.

Hello there Nurse Beth,

I just received a letter from BON saying that I have been issued a reprimand. I made a terrible mistake of arriving late 3 days in a row but started documentation on my scheduled arrival time, I deeply regretted this. My question is: is this going to be a private reprimand or a public reprimand?(or is it the same thing) The letter states, "Licensee shall be issued a Reprimand) Please help, thank you.

Dear Regret,

Reprimands are typically in the public record, but they are the lowest form of discipline.

  • If asked about BON discipline on future job applications, you have to disclose it.
  • You must disclose if you apply for licensure in another state.

A BON-issued reprimand for being late to work is quite odd. Discipline is usually reserved for violating the Nurse Practice Act.

Tip: Whenever you receive discipline from the BON, it's to your benefit to show remorse. Being deeply regretful is good, but saying you "started documentation on my scheduled arrival time" will not help your cause. Also...that's confusing.

Being late to work 3 days in a row is not a mistake, it's a pattern, and it's not respectful to your colleagues waiting to give handoff and go home.

I am sorry you are in trouble, it's no fun-but thankfully, its minor. 

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

 

JKL33

6,472 Posts

Nurse Beth said:

A BON-issued reprimand for being late to work is quite odd. Discipline is usually reserved for violating the Nurse Practice Act.

The way I read it is that it's possible the reprimand is not primarily (or maybe at all) about being late but about

Nurse Beth said:

but started documentation on my scheduled arrival time

false documentation.

Nurse Beth, MSN

157 Articles; 2,858 Posts

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development, Freelance Writer. Has 30 years experience.
JKL33 said:

The way I read it is that it's possible the reprimand is not primarily (or maybe at all) about being late but about

false documentation.

Interesting @JKL33. That makes sense.

Sam121

43 Posts

Isn't this more of a job specific intervention and maybe a reprimand from the employer at the most, and not a BON jurisdiction thing Nurse Beth?

Nurse Beth, MSN

157 Articles; 2,858 Posts

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development, Freelance Writer. Has 30 years experience.
Sam Mathews said:

Isn't this more of a job specific intervention and maybe a reprimand from the employer at the most, and not a BON jurisdiction thing Nurse Beth?

Yes, it is, and that's why it's puzzling. There is more than meets the eye here.

Wuzzie

4,896 Posts

Nurse Beth said:

Yes, it is, and that's why it's puzzling. There is more than meets the eye here.

I wonder if the employer reported them for "patient abandonment". If that's the case it's fraudulent. I just can't believe any board would get involved in tardiness issues. 

CrunchRN, ADN, RN

4,460 Posts

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health. Has 25 years experience.

Tardiness is an employer issue and not a BON issue. Must be more going on here.

delrionurse

81 Posts

Nurse Beth said:

but started documentation on my scheduled arrival time, I deeply regretted this.

I also interpreted this as the reason she/he was reported. Documentation was started when the nurse was not present. 

Wuzzie

4,896 Posts

delrionurse said:

I also interpreted this as the reason she/he was reported. Documentation was started when the nurse was not present. 

Oooo. I missed that detail. They got her on fraudulent documentation then. Oof dah. That's going to have some hang time. Unecessarily vindictive on the part of her employer in my opinion.

Specializes in Occupational Health. Has 19 years experience.
JKL33 said:

The way I read it is that it's possible the reprimand is not primarily (or maybe at all) about being late but about

false documentation.

Yep...that was my read as well

JKL33

6,472 Posts

sleepwalker said:

Yep...that was my read as well

Yes, and just to clarify my first comment I didn't mean that the things documented were necessarily false but that it was made to look as if they were done by the OP at a time that they couldn't have been because s/he wasn't there.

CrunchRN, ADN, RN

4,460 Posts

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health. Has 25 years experience.

Yikes. That is a big issue.