Is 54 too old to get a doctorate degree?

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

I am 54 years old and wondering if I'm too old to get either a DNP orPhD in nursing. I graduated with my ADN at the age of 40, my BSN at age 50 and my MSN in Nursing Education at 53. I'm currently a lecturer at a university, but I still feel like I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Dear Am I Too Old,

If your question is "Am I too old to have the intellectual capacity to complete my doctorate?", then no, You are definitely (repeat, definitely) not too old to do this.

If your question is " Am I too old to have it make a difference in my career?" the answer depends on how many more years you plan to work.

While you are not too old, part of the question is, what is your motivation? A burning desire? An item on your bucket list? Are you wanting to qualify for a higher position?

I would first figure what you want to do, and then decide if pursuing a doctorate aligns with your goals. A doctorate comes with high costs of time and money.

There was a time when I also struggled with deciding if I should go on to get my doctorate, but doing so would have meant giving up my writing career or at least putting it on hold.

It's always about choices.

I just had to choose from two paths that were both appealing to me. Would you regret not getting your doctorate, or be able to make peace with it? Good luck with your decision.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

nurse-beth-purple-logo.jpg

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

I agree with Beth. Very little of whether or not you can/should get a doctorate has to do with your age.

Specializes in Emergency.

Why would you think that you are too old? Go for it.

No - 54 is not too old - what is "too old" anyway? I know people in their 90's who are "young" and have enthusiasm for life and learning and I know people in their 20's who are "old" and have little to no interest or excitement in anything. Age is just a number and one that does not ever have to be a road block - especially in ones own mind. Now go get that doctorate!

At your age, or really any age, I would question the job market, and the financing of the education.

Otherwise, no, you are not too old, but consider the ROI.

I'm 56 I get my DNP in July. Age is just a number. You are gonna be whatever age you are gonna be. The only question is whether you will have a DNP when you get there

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Thank you NurseBeth for a thoughtful and practical approach to a question that seems to get weighed down in rose colored glasses and or countertransference. Of course age should be a consideration, not the only one, but a consideration. I'm not sure if it is our current politically correct culture that espouses everyone can be a super model or flat out delusions when people disregard the fact that age is more than a number. There are quantitative studies indicating the effects on brain mass, processing abilities, strength etc. so to cheer people on to make emotional not practical decisions, especially later in life, doesn't make sense to me. I have to wonder if decisions based on flawed logic such as age being of no concern isn't a contributor to so many Americans being unable to retire due to financial reasons?

I'm 56 I get my DNP in July. Age is just a number. You are gonna be whatever age you are gonna be. The only question is whether you will have a DNP when you get there

But your degree was paid for!

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I started my doctorate at 60.

Lord willing, it extends my career another decade or more.

Specializes in Nephrology Home Therapies, Wound Care, Foot Care..

You know when you're too old? When you're dead! That's it! Went back to get my RN at 57, ADN at 59, BSN at 60 (accelerated program). Starting FNP this fall, I work 32 hours a week, and I'm hoping to be done with school by the time I die, but I won't be done learning until at least that time. You are never ever EVER too old, and shame on anyone too stupid to think you might be.

But your degree was paid for!

True!!!! Like I said in other posts I never would have done it otherwise. I simply answered the question if age was a barrier to getting a DNP in this post. It is not. Recouping your investment is another question. People make dumb financial decisions all the time. Its their right and since I don't pretend to know a person's finances or motivations via the internet I'll stick with my statement. Age is just a number. So is a balance sheet but they are different numbers

Go for it. You will be doing that or not doing it..time passes either way.

+ Add a Comment