Disorderly Conduct

Nurses Criminal

Published

So recently I have taken over care of my mother who has early onset of dementia. She was having an episode and called the police she said I pushed her and hurt her, when I clearly didn't "I had witnesses" even though. The officer still took me to jail. I hired a great attorney who got the charges droped to disorderly conduct (will this charge affect my carrer?) By the way, I am still taking care of my mom.

Specializes in Emergency/Cath Lab.

I had a disorderly conduct charge as well. Completed probation and it has not affected me at all. Granted every one is a case by case scenario.

Specializes in MCH,NICU,NNsy,Educ,Village Nursing.

It would probably depend on the state in which you live. Read your state's Board of Nursing site and see what they say.

Specializes in Infusion Nursing, Home Health Infusion.

No the charges ere dropped but I sure would get

To whom it may concern letter or document from the provider stating she has erratic behavior and why and that it causes her to make claims that are not true and she can't be trusted. Do you have power of attorney. My mom had to get it for my dad because he kept calling 911 and requesting to be taken to the hospital and he really y was not ill but thought he was. He also had periods of paranoi and thought we were poisoning him.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Did you plead guilty to disorderly conduct? Why?

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho, ASC.

My advice would be to have your mom evaluated for more intensive care. The reality of your situation is that your mom has the ability to destroy your ability to support yourself. It's not her fault, but you must be realistic in this situation.

Can your career really afford multiple charges?

Specializes in Educator.

Having a mother with Lewy Body dementia I can wholeheartedly agree with roser13. Your mother's claims could render significant damage to your career. Particularly if she is like my mom, and can create a tale with such detail that no one would disbelieve her claims. I agree with getting her evaluated to determine her capacity to make decisions. This may not be enough though if her claim is egregious enough with just enough information to be plausible. At a certain point you have to protect yourself. Also, if you do not have a POA in place, get one ASAP.

+ Add a Comment