California BRN Disciplinary Citation

Nurses Criminal

Published

Does anyone have any experience with the CA BRN in regards to disciplinary citations? I received a legal citation order in the mail from the CA BRN by certified mail. I am being fined for $750 for failure to initially disclose a misdemeanor on my initial RN license application I filed for in September 2016. When I initially applied I honestly forgot to disclose a petty theft misdemeanor charge that I received over 10+ years ago when I was 18 y/o & charge was expunged from my record. After my initial application the BRN contacted me that there was an issue w/my background asked me to provide a letter of explanation, court documents, police report, job evaluation, letters of character & recommendation, & proof of community service. I sent all the requested paperwork in & was issued my RN license in December 2016 after passing nclex. Then on March 15, 2017 I reviewed certified mail from the BRN for citation in violation of giving false information for license application. I want to appeal the citation, but would like some advice or anyone that has experience with this or a similar issue. I feel that the fine is a little steep for this & it was an honest mistake.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

You're on the hook for that $750. Own the error. Pay the fine. Move ahead and be VERY glad it wasn't much. much worse in terms of disciplinary action.

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
You're on the hook for that $750. Own the error. Pay the fine. Move ahead and be VERY glad it wasn't much. much worse in terms of disciplinary action.

Once again I have to concur with mean Mary Jean!

Hppy

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to more appropriate forum.

Specializes in Educator.

What they said...

You have no way to prove it was an honest mistake and the workers at the Board don't care. You are lucky they did not make it worse for you.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

The fact is that you didn't disclose the conviction...and the CA BRN makes it very clear that they want to know about all convictions, EVEN expunged ones (reference: License Discipline and Convictions). It may have been an honest mistake, but you're still responsible for having reported that information.

They could have made it far worse than just a fine. IMO, I'd quit while you're ahead, accept responsibility for your error, pay the fine and remember the lesson should you decide to endorse into other states.

But if you really want to fight it, then I would recommend engaging the services of an attorney versed in dealing with BONs (obligatory TAANA link here: TAANA Executive Office - Home ).

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that if you could just explain things to the BRN that they will see reason and drop the fine. Unfortunately for you and those for who such things were indeed honest mistakes, the BRN has heard the "honest mistake" excuse way too often...instead, all they see is someone who, in the BRN's opinion, falsified information on their application. The BRN cares about protecting the public first and foremost. They care about the nurse second...if at all. Keep that in mind.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Specializes in ER.

How do you forget a conviction for theft?

+ Add a Comment