early morning stomach ache

Specialties School

Published

I try to explain this to the kids all the time! I want to print this out and give it to each kid that tells me they had a doughnut and chocolate milk for breakfast!

Stomach Cramps After Eating Sugar | LIVESTRONG.COM

Or even better, "Did you eat breakfast this morning?" "No I wasn't hungry."

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Thanks kidzcare, dealing with a student out 25 days so far that is coming in with

Thanks kidzcare, dealing with a student out 25 days so far that is coming in with

Is that like... 1 Froot Loop?

Is that like... 1 Froot Loop?

Precisely, one rainbow loop at a time. Lots of workup with no answers. Mom made the mistake of telling him to let her know if he threw up and he can come home.:banghead: Trying to explain emesis to a determined 12 year old is wonderful.

Or even better, "Did you eat breakfast this morning?" "No I wasn't hungry."

Yep! When they say this, I always exclaim "A clue!!!" and ask how they expected their body to get through the day with no fuel. They generally roll their eyes and inform me that they are superhuman and never eat breakfast.

I tell them "pain is your body's way of saying 'something has gone wrong" and right now your body is complaining that it has no food to digest. Here's some crackers"

Here's some crackers"

Do they get the therapeutically stale stash or the fresh?

Do they get the therapeutically stale stash or the fresh?

I go through them too quickly to allow them to become stale. They also get a dose of "therapeutic boredom" before I kick them out.

Does the frustration get better? In addition to the stomach aches, I get the nausea too, and dear lord that's the possibility of vomit! That must mean they're really sick. Or, no, they didn't eat breakfast. Hunger can mimic nausea, but apparently I'm the only one who knows that. Even after the 7th time I've told the same kid.

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..
I go through them too quickly to allow them to become stale. They also get a dose of "therapeutic boredom" before I kick them out.

kidz- the staleness is what cures them. Did you learn that in your intro to School Nursing 101? You must have been taking a nap.

kidz- the staleness is what cures them. Did you learn that in your intro to School Nursing 101? You must have been taking a nap.

Oh, I want to nap. Is it nap time now?

Specializes in School Nurse. Having conversations with littles..

Sure. I will write you a note. You want me to fax it?

+ Add a Comment