GRADUATED!!! Do I call myself RN yet? - page 2
by Nurse-84 7,332 Views | 34 Comments
I just graduated as a Registered Nurse!! ADN... I worked my butt off working and going to school! God is good..my question is can I call myself a Registered nurse yet? I'm not scheduled to take my boards yet, school has to send... Read More
- 1May 21, '13 by ScottE,RNDepending on your state you aren't a nurse of any kind until you take and pass either the NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN. You might be a "Graduate Nurse" depending on your state. Ohio is not a state that recognizes graduates of a nursing program as "Graduate Nurses." So in Ohio at least all you would be is a graduate of a pre-licensure nursing education program.
- 1May 21, '13 by KelRN215Quote from Nurse-84You didn't "graduate as a Registered Nurse." You graduated from an ADN program which qualifies you to sit for the NCLEX-RN examination.I just graduated as a Registered Nurse!! ADN... I worked my butt off working and going to school! God is good..my question is can I call myself a Registered nurse yet? I'm not scheduled to take my boards yet, school has to send my completion program paper work. I feel so uncomfortable calling myself that already. I'm a LPN already so its a change. I know to work as a licensed RN I have to the NCLEX but people keep asking me what I am and Im confused on if I can say it? haha
So to answer your question, no you do not call yourself a Registered Nurse yet because you are not a Registered Nurse yet.
- 2May 21, '13 by Da_Milk_of_AmnesiaYou have to pass your boards first before you get to label yourself an RN. And isn't it technically illegal to say RN when you are just a graduate nurse? I can't go around saying im a CRNA while im in school, so I'm assuming it's the same ? Can someone clarify?
- 2May 22, '13 by PghRN30I think the easiest thing to say is "i have my adn/bsn (whichever is the case) and I WILL BE an RN as soon as I pass boards" Outside of nursing most dont understand..."graduated, but not an RN yet" or even what a GN is. And yes you are not an RN until you pass.
My son (so my sister) gave me an RN charm for my charm bracelet for graduation. I accepteded it, but told my son that I wasn't an RN til I passed my test, so I wasn't going to add it to my bracelet til the day I passed....and he would be first I told. So day I passed I added it to my bracelet, and showed him when he came home from school. Maybe a little silly, but wasnt an RN until I actually held an RN license
- 1May 22, '13 by carolinapoohNot every state recognizes GNs either (NC does not) - so nope, you're just a grad until you get that magic notification from Pearson.
When people ask, you say, "I just graduated from nursing school and I'm so excited! Now I'm studying for my licensure exam."