Pursuing my nursing career at 37. Words of wisdom needed!Register Today!
This is a discussion on Pursuing my nursing career at 37. Words of wisdom needed! in Pre-Nursing Student, part of Nursing Student ... Hello! I'm starting pre nursing this month and am extremely nervous. I haven't been a student...by Katieon Jan 4Hello!
I'm starting pre nursing this month and am extremely nervous. I haven't been a student since cosmetology school back in 99. Nursing has been a dream of mine my whole life and after all these years I'm deciding to finally go for it. I've never wanted anything more. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=805949©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,467 Views
- Jan 4 by ImDaMan11you can either get older and not chase your dreams, or get older and become what you've wanted to be for your whole life. Also, no disrespect at all, but 37 is a pretty hot age if you ask me! You'll do great! Best of luck!
- Jan 4 by KatieonThank you so much!
- Jan 4 by kymdianeHello ~ 37?? No worries...I am 44 now and started my pre-req. for nursing school about 1.5 years ago. I was an average student in H.S. & didn't do so well taking some college courses here & there. But I didn't have drive or emotional support. The one (of many new qualities) thing I have discovered about myself is that I CAN do anything I am motivated to do. You sound like you have a positive outlook & go getter attitude. This will help you tremendously through your classes. I put everyone's dreams 1st & supported them to get theirs. Now it is my time, no matter what age (esp in nursing) it can be done & done well. You will amaze & surprise yourself with your dedication & how smart you truly can be. Use your knowledge of living life longer than others, experience helps with a broader knowledge & knowing how to study. If you need any advice with pre-req classes please ask. I have completed mine, & am in the process of applying now. It can be done! Good luck to you & enjoy it.
- Jan 4 by KatieonThanks you so much for taking the time to reply! Your words are truly inspirational
- Jan 4 by SopranoKrisI agree with the previous posters....no worries! I'll be 43 on my next birthday. My last college course was 18 years ago. I just started going back in June. I've just completed all my pre-reqs and now I'm waiting to find out if I'll be accepted into the nursing program. I'm beginning my phlebotomy externship at the hospital in 2 weeks. Yes, you might be one of the older students in your classes, but don't worry...no one really makes a big deal about it. In fact, my professors often chat with me after class because we're about the same age! I've had them offer to write letters of recommendation and I think they appreciate having mature students in the classroom. They know you're there for a purpose and you're not just some young kid right out of high school who rarely attends class
I've noticed that more & more of the nursing students I see on campus are older, adult students
You'll be fine...welcome to the club
- Jan 4 by princesax11I was afraid of starting prereqs because I am not fresh out of high school. I went to community college for two years fresh out of high school with a different major and the last semester I switched to nursing prereqs because I finally figured out I really wanted to be a nurse. Then life happened and I had to take a year off because the company I was working at part time was going bankrupt so they needed me full time until they closed. Soon after this my parents sold the house and were moving out of state (from NJ to FL). So I had to take another year off because of the out of state tuition here I can't afford (almost 400$ for one credit at community college what?!?!) If I get accepted into the nursing program when I plan to I will be about 24 (2 years from now) and will have my ADN at 26. All my fears of not being on track with the people I graduated high school with drove me crazy. Then I started a thread on here and after reading all my replies made me feel 100x better about my decision. Many people come into nursing as a second career! Here is the thread incase you wanted to see the ages and positive feedback about nursing at any age http://allnurses.com/pre-nursing-stu...re-801947.html. Cheer up!
- Jan 4 by mchel210I am 38 and just starting my prereqs next week. I have 6 classes and then Im going to try and get into the accelerated bsn program. I feel like I am much better prepared this time around... My oldest is graduating high school next year...I joke with him and tell him I can drive him to college and we can both go to the same school.
- Jan 4 by justkeepswimmingtjI am 38 and I've been working on my pre-reqs for a while (chipping away at it very slowly). Yay us!
- Jan 4 by KimynurseI started at 38, LPN at 40
I'm 43 and starting a RN ADN this month
Never too late