Fall 2012 Microbiology Students -- STAND UP! - page 9
Since we had these threads when I was in A&P I and II, and I thought I'd start one for Microbiology. Anybody else delving into the world of bacteria and viruses this fall? Let's start a support thread! Let's share our victories... Read More
- 1Sep 12, '12 by EMT89Quote from melc0305I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I have been nailing it in lab! For my lab professor we did the agar plates. I was one of the only two who got them done correctly the first time . Now for my test tomorrow that is a different story. Ours is pretty basic, but has lots of chemistry components.Am I the only one hating this class? So much information and so far it is a lot of chemistry and cellular biology. Way over my head Lab is not taught by the lecture professor so there is not much correlation between the two. The lab is interesting but very disorganized. Just not feeling this class. And of course that leads to the inevitable "I'm too stupid to be a nurse" thoughts!
The thing that is making me keep on going is last science class.
- 0Sep 13, '12 by umbdudeHad my first lab/lecture last Saturday. The lab was fun (staining) but I immediately got a bad feeling of my professor in the lecture. He is pretty much that "You are on your own" kind of professor. There was nothing posted on the web portal, not even syllabus. Obviously he doesn't provide any powerpoint slides or other learning materials. He also has his own notes from who knows how many years ago. I had a professor like that before and his exams were so unpredictable.
I wanted to switch lecture badly, but my schedule just doesn't allow me to do that. I plan on record the lectures plus seriously reading and learning everything from the book. I'm also using online learning materials, which hopefully will help. It's so disappointing.
- 0Sep 13, '12 by RaeRae11I'm on week 3 through Rio Salado, and just got back my grade on my first essays. I only 22 out of 30 points, darn it! I hope I can get everything that she wants in my next essays. That's a little discouraging, but I hope that her notes on what she would add will help my next essay questions. Good luck to everybody!
- 0Am I the only one not really enjoying the lab portion of micro? I just feel as though I am fumbling around in there making mistakes all the time. The results of my first lab were actually really good, I got all my points, and my gram stain that we did yesterday turned out well. I just never feel completely comfortable with what I'm doing. I admit I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I just really hope I can gain some confidence in lab soon!
- 0Sep 13, '12 by CordaePQuote from LimikMaybe that is where I am going wrong. I do pass it 3-4 times. Maybe I do it too fast. Maybe I don't let it cool.Did you heat fix your specimen before you applied the stain to the slide? If you don't pass the slide through the bunsen burner 3 times and allow to cool before applying the stain, the stain will just wash the sample off.
- 0Quote from CordaePThe only other thing I can think of is if you don't let the slide dry completely after you do your smear and before it passes through the flame it can aerosolyze (sp.) the bacteria and you could lose your sample that way. I'm not sure what else could have gone wrong but those are just things I thought of with my very limited experience. Don't give up CordaeP, I'm sure you can do it!Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I do pass it 3-4 times. Maybe I do it too fast. Maybe I don't let it cool.