Mnemonics and Memory Aids - page 4
by VickyRN Asst. Admin
The HYPERKALEMIA "Machine" - Causes of Increased Serum K+ M - Medications - ACE inhibitors, NSAIDS A - Acidosis - Metabolic and respiratory C - Cellular destruction - Burns, traumatic injury H - Hypoaldosteronism, hemolysis... Read More
- 10Jul 13, '06 by RNsRWeI just started a thread exactly like this one on the General Student board! LOL.....well, can definitely use one THERE, too.
Anyway, since NCLEXers are looking here:
Immediate tx of MI, think MONA:
M Morphine sulfate
Treatment of CHF, think UNLOAD FAST:
U sit Upright
F Fluids- decrease
A Afterload - decrease
S Sodium - decrease
T Tests: dig level, ABG, K+
Assistive devices -- Canes:
- 9Jul 13, '06 by RNsRWeSigns of a Cholinergic Crisis, think SLUD:
Memory Trick:Need to remember which kind of beta blocker has which action?
B1 Blocks the heart (you have only one heart)
B2 Blocks the lungs (you have two lungs)
- 3Oct 10, '06 by VRN-RNCRAINIAL NERVES. im pretty sure most of you heard of these.
I Olfactory -Oh -Sensory -Some
II Optic- Oh -Sensory -Say
III Occulomotor -Oh -Motor -Mary
IV Trochlear -To -Motor -Money
V Trigeminal -Touch -Both -But
VI Abducens -And -Motor -My
VII Facial -Feel -Both -Brother
VIII Acoustic (vestoblochlear) -A -Sensory -Says
IX Glosopharyngeal -Green -Both -Bad
X Vagus -Veggie -Both -Business
XI Spinal Accessory- Soon At -Motor -Mary
XII Hypoglosal -Harvest- Motor -Money
Oh oh oh to touch and feel a green veggie soon at harvest
sensory sensory motor motor both motor both sensory both both motor motorLast edit by VRN-RN on Feb 3, '07
- 1Oct 10, '06 by belfryQuote from moonshadeauI learned byI always had a hard time with this one, so I came up with my own related to experience.
First there is snow(white), then mud season (brown), and the grass comes out (green obviously).
As for the left side, I try to remember that financially that it is always better to be in the black, than in the red (financially).
That is how I remember it anway.
White on the right
Clouds over grass (white over green)
Smoke over fire (black over red)
and poop in the middle (brown)
- 0Oct 10, '06 by belfryQuote from Nessa20CRAINIAL NERVES. im pretty sure most of you heard of these.
I Olfactory Oh Sensory Some
II Optic Oh Sensory Say
III Occulomotor Oh Motor Mary
IV Trochlear To Motor Money
V Trigeminal Touch Both But
VI Abducens And Motor My
VII Facial Feel Both Brother
VIII Acoustic (vestoblochlear) A Sensory Says
IX Glosopharyngeal Green Both Bad
X Vagus Veggie Both Business
XI Spinal Accessory Soon At Motor Mary
XII Hypoglosal Harvest Motor Money
(doesn't make sense but somehow I have remembered it for years!)
- 3Oct 15, '06 by dani_girlQuote from mopnglo42Another way to remember the eyes is:Trouble figuring out which eye is which?
OS is left eye
OD is the right eye
You can remember which one is the right eye (OD), because you can make the D into an R - You just have to draw to stick legs on the bottom of the D. Write it down on paper, you'll see what I mean (it's hard to show you when all I can do is type)
You look OUt with Both eyes.
Take the Right dose so you won't OD [overdose].
The only one that is Left is OS.
· Both eyes=OU, Right eye=OD, Left eye=OS.
Works for me