Interview/ Nurses Eat their young?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Interview/ Nurses Eat their young? in Nursing First Job Hunt Assistance, part of Nursing Career Advice ... I had an interview yesterday for a Med/Surg position at the VA. Is it possible to get the feeling...by serenitylove14 Feb 28I had an interview yesterday for a Med/Surg position at the VA. Is it possible to get the feeling that the nurses on the unit will eat their young? or am I just being overly paranoid? I was a panel interview with 4 individuals, which Ive had this type of interview many times before so... What are your thoughts?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=818602©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 720 Views
- Feb 28 by FlyingScotIf there's a bottle of ketchup and forks on the table then you might be in trouble.
- Feb 28 by itsmejuliI really wish people would get away from "nurses eat their young".
In any job there are good co-workers and bad co-workers.
You can't really tell how a unit will be until you start working there.
- Feb 28 by luckyshamrock22Haha! I also interviewed for a med/surg position at a VA and although it was a panel like your interview of 4 NM, they were very pleasant and even nurturing. I felt that way anyway, and I do believe that management can be a representation of the work environment but like a previous post stated: you just never know until you're on the unit. I wish the nursing profession didn't have that negative connotation that we "eat our young" but it would have never started if it hadn't been true. Maybe us newer nurses can change that around and build professionalism among this unique cohort dominated mainly by women. Best of luck! Either way, it's a great position and you just make yourself shine!
- Feb 28 by nursel56You haven't told us anything specific about what happened during your panel interviews that leads you to ask the question. I've read hundreds of nurses-eat-their-young posts, but this is the first time I've heard of it coming from someone before they are hired.
- Feb 28 by serenitylove14Quote from nursel56Just the facial expressions and overall feel of the people asking the questions. They didnt do anything per say but I just got a bad feeling lol.You haven't told us anything specific about what happened during your panel interviews that leads you to ask the question. I've read hundreds of nurses-eat-their-young posts, but this is the first time I've heard of it coming from someone before they are hired.
- Mar 6 by Inoriwelcome newbie! *eyes you ... hmm what a tasty morsel you must be new, fresh and meaty." Yes there will always be those nurses which you cannot do anything about except make sure that you will not be that. Thats my take on it. Yea i'll do my best to survive and then i'll make sure that no one under me will have to go through that kind of behavior which I disagree with and do not find acceptable because it is bullying under a different name which in my book is unacceptable. trust your gut if you dont feel comfortable then there's always a reason. but again the economy sucks and jobs are very hard to come by so you may have to take what you can get until something better comes along. good luck
- Mar 6 by serenitylove14Thanks they called today asking for references. I havent got back with them yet.