Are Doctors Mean????
- 0Nov 21, '02 by ams02I have heard over and over that "why would you want to be a nurse and work with those ***hole doctors" i dont see it that way, i could care less about the doctors, im there for the patients, but are the dr.s arrogant and mean? just another of my million questions. thanks!
- 8,805 Views
- 0Nov 21, '02 by 2banurseI totally agree with llg. Having worked as a medical secretary for 10 years I was able to see MDs in a new light. I remember when at 18 I was accepted into nursing school...besides not yet being ready to be a nurse, I was intimidated by doctors. HOWEVER, working with them made me realize that they are no different then we are. They are human! Not Gods! You will find all types when you go out.
I personally feel that many of them put in a lot of time to get where they are and for that I respect them. Respect is however a two way street, so if I feel that I am being talked down upon, I will call them on it.
- 0Dec 5, '02 by VivaLasViejas GuideSome doctors ARE arrogant jerks. But then, so are some lawyers...some sports figures...and yes, some nurses! I've found that most are respectful and willing to listen to what we have to say. But like us, they are VERY busy and don't have time to B.S., so you want to have all your ducks lined up before asking them for something. They like the nurse to be knowledgeable and organized; while they may not ultimately agree with us on how to treat the patient's problem, they're a lot more likely to give our ideas some thought if they get the sense we know our "stuff".
- 0Dec 5, '02 by live4todaySome docs exhibit behaviors that are not conducive to the human spirit's growth and well being...they are only human just like the rest of us. View them as humans and not just as doctors, and you'll be able to deal with them better.
Some docs exhibit excellent behaviors, but even they have their moments. Stress exist in everyone's occupation and takes its' toll on everyone at one point in their lives. Not putting anyone up on a pedestal helps when dealing with others...no matter what their profession...and see them as you see yourself when you are overstressed with life's issues.
Human beings go to work with many stressfactors already present in their minds and weighing heavy on their hearts. What affects one in one way will affect another totally different. Since doctors are human beings, too, they come to work with stressfactors like everyone else. It's best just to treat them as you would want them to treat you. If they act rude towards you or someone around you, call them aside, ask if they need a listening ear because they obviously are too stressed to deal kindly with others at that moment. Never be afraid to lend a listening ear to a physician. Your "listening ear" and open heart may be the only offer they get from time to time.
- 0Jan 9, '03 by RNpupilI don't know about everyone else, but most doctors that I've met so far are like extremely ill manored. They don't say good morning not even to patients. I mean regardless of what's on their minds, they should show some respect to other healthcare workers and other people as well. Can you believe that there are doctors who believe that nurses are stupid? Its true. I think that they can be very stuck up people with their noses stuck up in the air. But I don't give a damn what degree they have and how much they've got contained in noggin they call a brain. They are not strong. I couldn't believe the bums that I met when I used to be on the bus stop. I couldn't even sit on the bench. There were bum doctors, MBAs, Lawyers sometimes. They can be mean all they want. God don't like ugly. And that same throne that the doctors think they are sitting on, they will be knocked the farthest down below it.Last edit by RNpupil on Jan 9, '03
- 0Jan 9, '03 by mark_LD_RNyes some docs are mean,jerks or anything else you may want to call them. but some are just terrific. I personaly find less and less of the mean ones. I personally do not tolerate disrespect from docs anyway,to bad if they do not like it or what they think. they are not GOD!
One doc i work with is exceptionally nice, for example I had a laboring patient this morning , i was in the middle of pushing with her , he comes in says good morning to everyone, watches me work for a minute comes up pats me on the shoulder tells me excelent job keep it up. well after the deliver he thanked me for doing such a good job shock my hand and left.
he is very nice almost all the time like that.