Is there a flu outbreak in your area? - page 5
by brian Admin | 17,823 Views | 75 Comments
Are you experiencing a flu outbreak in your area? There seems to be a lot of news about this lately. Please share your experience below. Click Like if you enjoyed it. Please share this with friends and post your... Read More
- 1Jan 11, '13 by AN1202Yep-- NW Chicago suburbs. The hospital has been pretty packed since just after Christmas-- a lot more flu (mostly A) and pneumonia as a complication. We've even had a lot more PCT(CNA)s and RNs call in sick this year-- and this was the first year the flu shot was mandatory for employees.
- 2Jan 11, '13 by morteOy! Karen, you might be better served letting the fever do its job.....Quote from NRSKarenRN48 Flu patents in one of our ERs last night.
My staff been sick with Flu and URI going round....my temp was 103 today, no cough, so I'm working from home 2day, forcing fluids, acetaminophen, chicken soup and taking naps.... checking in @ AN during rest break.
- 1Jan 11, '13 by NerdyNikkiMajor outbreak of the Flu here in Chicago. Any visitor with symptoms of coughing,runny nose etc. are not allowed in.As a bedside nurse in the ICU, our beds are overflowing with these cases. Many are intubated and going back and forward in respiratory failure.
- 2Jan 11, '13 by olddraggerThank you OP for breaking this down and for providing the culture reports.
This is one thing I was afraid of. First of all I am so sorry so many people are sick with this stuff. God speed.
Second--when you hear of influenza/flu prevention-- what do you hear---yep thats right--GET THE FLU SHOT! Well, thats just wrong.
Different strands are causing a lot of this outbreak it seems and one cannot constantly outguess mother nature--even for the limited protect this years influenza vaccination is suppose to provide. I know there are more reasons than just the flu shot but my reasoning is this.
What I wish I would hear on TV , radio, internet etc etc is how to best protect yourself from getting Influenza. Yes, the influenza vaccination can be a small portion of protecting yourself, but there is much more to it--as we all know. Those parts--we hear little about and to me they are more important. I have actually had people tell me they can't get the flu because they have had the influenza vaccination.
And dont get me started on Tamiflu.lol
On second thought I do wonder if the aftermath of Hurricaine Sandy is somewhat to blame?
- 0Jan 11, '13 by squidbillyThe CDC has reported that this year's flu vax is 62% effective. Apparently this falls in line with past vaccines, which have been between 50-70% effective. So why is the CDC now calling this year's flu epidemic? 7.3% of deaths last week were a result of influenza or pneumonia, just above the 7.2% threshold that defines an epidemic. I wasn't aware that an epidemic is defined by deaths, not active diseases.
Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S., says CDC | Reuters
Flu cases down in some areas; child deaths up - CNN.com
- 0Jan 11, '13 by cmbuckleyWhy are people going to the ED with Flu like symptons? Unless you fall in to a specific group ( <5 >65 years of age, pregnant or have a comorbidity stay home nothing to be done. All that is happening is people with other emergencies such as broken bones/lacerations/head injuries/heart attacks/strokes are being exposed.