How Rude!!!Register Today!
- by stella123 rn Oct 2, '03Do you ever wonder how people can be so stupid and rude??
Today I was visiting my mom and decided to run over the local hairdresser and get a quick trim. This guy was there whose daughter graduated from high school last year. I do not know them very well just small town stuff. Town of 400 and everyone knows everyone. Anyway his daughter is going to school to be a nurse so I asked him how she was doing. (He knows I am an RN because I had him mother as a patient, and he asked me if was still working at that certain hospital). He says, "I just don't think being a nurse is very impressive. Having MD behind you name says a lot more. I can not believe I have to put her through college just to be a nurse."
I was totally dumbfounded!!! OMG!! Yeah having president in your name is impressive too. It is not like he is anything spectacular either. Never went to college, took over his dad's farm.....not that there is anything wrong with that, but that comment!!!!!!
- 8,370 Views
- Oct 2, '03 by AndyLynI'm glad I'm not HIS daughter!
- Oct 2, '03 by katsThere really is so much prejudice against going into nursing. I always get asked why I am "going to settle for being a nurse when I am smart enough to be a doctor". I just explain the differences in the jobs and what I am looking for and don't worry about it. Hopefully, people will eventually learn what a significant contribution nurses make towards patients' health care and recovery.
- Oct 2, '03 by EastCoastwait till he needs a nurse !
his daughter must feel overwhelming support from her dad huh?
- Oct 2, '03 by cannoliIt was rude or insensitive to say that to you knowing that you are a nurse. However, it goes to show what probably the majority of society thinks about nursing and nurses.
- Oct 2, '03 by jnetteOriginally posted by cannoli
It was rude or insensitive to say that to you knowing that you are a nurse. However, it goes to show what probably the majority of society thinks about nursing and nurses.
I remember when I grew up, nursing was held in HIGH esteem ! Even until "relatively" recently... let's say the eighties, maybe even nineties? Unless I've been out of touch... it's only recently that I've been hearing such negative comments/perceptions. I've never run into anyone personally who voiced such negativity... I just don't get it.
And YES... that WAS beyond rude... ignorant... and totally uncalled for.
- Oct 2, '03 by BadBirdI would look him in the face and ask him if he is truley that stupid or just rude.
- Oct 2, '03 by renerianOh brother....................sigh.
- Oct 2, '03 by jnetteOriginally posted by BadBird
I would look him in the face and ask him if he is truley that stupid or just rude.
- Oct 2, '03 by barefootladyHow Rude. I hope you looked at him and told him not to expect any nurse in town to give him that TLC we are so famous for. No, really, I would have said, "if this is how you really feel, I pity your daughter." I would NEVER speak to him again. If his mother was ever assigned to you as a patient again I would inform the charge nurse that the man has been rude to you outside of the hospital setting and thought you won't refuse her as a patient, you will not deal with him. Some people need to learn that they cannot make a comment like this one and it not come back and bite them on the a$$.