What do you eat before work?Register Today!
This is a discussion on What do you eat before work? in Health / Stress Management 101, part of General Nursing ... I recently have had problems with hypoglycemia during the morning and I think its because I'm not...by Mnstn Feb 28I recently have had problems with hypoglycemia during the morning and I think its because I'm not eating enough breakfast. I ate two scrambled eggs and toast before my clinical and still felt a bit faint and hot when listening to morning report.
What do you eat before work/clinical and does it help keep up your blood sugar and energy?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=818728©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,415 Views
- Mar 1 by nervousnurseWas your toast whole grain/ 100% whole wheat? As you know, if it was white bread (simple carb!), that won't hold you as long. Are you drinking too much coffee or other caffeine? I used to take a homeade smoothie with me, made with fruit, ice, 3 scoops of flax seed, and a scoop of protein powder, and fresh spinach---lots of FIBER and PROTEIN, sooo good for you, and YUMMY!
Also, think about bringing some nuts---they are a nice, quick source of protein.....I keep them in the car for those times when I'm very hungry but don't want to eat a meal....good luck!
- Mar 1 by nervousnurseif not the smoothie, another thing I'd bring with me is yogurt (LOW sugar!!!), and a couple scoops of flax seed for mid-morning when I started getting hungry after being so busy.
- Mar 1 by Ir15hd4nc3r_RNI work nights.. I typically have some kind of meat protein like chicken, tuna/tilapia, or steak, paired with vegetables like green beans or broccoli, sometimes red potato or sweet potato instead. I like the smoothie idea listed above! On non-work days, I like oatmeal with berries or raisins, or toast with peanut butter and cinnamon.. things like that, combinations of protein & whole grains. On work days I think it's a psychological thing - can't eat what feels like breakfast food since it's the evening! But I would not turn down whole-grain waffles & berries if they were available, with a side of greek yogurt.
- Mar 1 by RNperdiemOatmeal! Breakfast is at 0530, and lunch might not be until 2pm some days. Staying busy, I never notice how hungry I am until after noon.
- Mar 1 by malamud69Oatmeal with raisins and peanut butter/pumpkin seeds...yummy and keeps me going!
- Mar 1 by rnsrgr8tI normally eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread and a Greek yogurt. That gives me enough protein and is quick because I need every minute of sleep I can get in the morning. I often eat the sandwich in the car! You can forgo the honey if you want but I think it is too dry without it. I love the Greek yogurt because there is so much protein in it keeps you full for awhile. I normally will have 1 or 2 throughout the day as a quick snack. I am not a fan of oatmeal, eggs take too much time to make early in the morning and anything with simple carbs makes me starving in an hour.
- Mar 1 by Lo2128I have no time to ear breakfast ! LOL If I do Its something really fast like toast aand butter and jelly or something completely unhealthy hahaha. who wants to eat at 630am anyways?!?
- Mar 1 by Rhi007Depends what I'm working. Sometimes nothing or sometimes musli with yogurt
- Mar 1 by Erindeli just started eating pita bread with peanut butter, cut up bananas, and some choc chips. Melt it in the microwave for about 20 sec. its yummy and filling!