New vs used books vs rentingRegister Today!
- by Kimynurse Aug 17, '12I was wondering how many people buy used books or rent books.
I like new book, I like to highlight them myself, write notes in them get all cd's and other materials and I hate to admit it, the smell of a new book
When I went to LPN school I didn't know better, and just bought them where the school said to.
I do want to save money for RN school,so I'm going to look into amazon.
I was just wondering what everyone does and their reason.
If you rent a book I assume you can't highlight or anything.
- 2,200 Views
- Aug 17, '12 by sali22I have done all of those things! I prefer to buy used online and sell back at my college bookstore.
I have also rented my micro book for 12 dollars when the bookstore wanted 200. You are allowed to highlight in rented books.
This semester I had to buy my books brand new because my school wanted the most recent edition that just came out. B
- Aug 17, '12 by SelenaSI always get new books, but I never get them throught the school. I always get them online. I search them by IBSN#'s and i ALWAYS check feedback. I will only buy from someone who has great feedback and many transactions. I saves me a fortune though. For example...................I needed an A&P book and workbook. Through the college it would have been $347.50 new, $266.50 used, and online I bought then new in dust jacked for $197.50 which included shipping.
- Aug 17, '12 by breffeJust out of curiosity.... I get a 600 dollar book waiver every semester so I just get the books from the bookstore since I can only use it at the bookstore. So I can't really look for better prices. Does anyone else use a book waiver?
- Aug 17, '12 by kandamomI know our program director reccomended not renting...as we would use many of our nursing books throughout the program as we build upon topics. As well as for reference later...
Also you may want to mark in them or even tear a page out! Which I have previously done for more focused study.
As far as used goes...it depends on if you need an access code or not, or the materials provided with some books. Some teachers use the access code programs and if the book has been used, the code may be invalid!
- Aug 17, '12 by Abigail612I buy used from amazon but I am very picky when it comes to nursing books I always go with "New" or "Like New". When it comes to non nursinf classes I go with the best quality at the lowest price and then sell them either to the book store or to amazon or sell them myself to amazon which ever gives me the best price !
- Aug 17, '12 by rubatoI buy new off Amazon, when I can afford it, but I'll also buy used from them as long as they are "like new" or "very good" condition. Haven't been burned yet. I will buy the occasional book from school if it's a better deal, but it rarely is. I would never rent. It's just wasted money to me. I can sell my books back to my school for what I paid for them.
- Aug 17, '12 by Tonks57I am taking out loans, so I buy my books new. I LOVE a new book. I am a total nerd and I love to read. I also like to write in my books and highlight important things. I have bought used and they were fine, but sometimes they had highlighting and I am too OCD for that!
- Aug 17, '12 by oluchikaI always bought my books used online unless I couldn't find it anywhere cheaper than my bookstore. I always bought like new/new if the price was right. If I ended up buying it from the bookstore, I would look through the ones they had for the one in the best condition with no highlighting. When I decided to sell books, I never sold them back to the bookstore because they never give you much. I sold mine through Half.com and would usually make back at least 60%-90% of the original cost back. At least this way I was able to afford paying for the next semester's books.
- Aug 17, '12 by AndrewMI buy used books if they are in good condition from my colleges bookstore. I work at the college as part of the student union and the bookstore helps many students with bursary jobs and they also give away free merchandise during Orientation Week, so I tend to buy my books at the school to help out.
As I said, used book only if it's in good condition and new books if it's something that I know i'll keep for a while. I never rent books I like to keep them all and add it to my library for reference.