I Don't Know Why She Swallowed that Fly...I Guess She'll Die - page 2

i am so hopping mad:( ...and where does it all end?...got the word yesterday at work that our er nurses are going to have to start taking mandatory on call....l'm wondering if other facilities... Read More

  1. by   live4today
    NO hospital would own THAT much of my time...sorry...I'd clock out at the end of my shift and not blink or look back.

    WHEN are nurses going to STOP giving them what they want???
    Do they give YOU what YOU want??? Then...WHY take their abuse??? WHEN WILL YOU LEARN NURSES??? HUH??? WHEN???
  2. by   VickyRN
    Uncle Al ruled
    LRae, I grew up in the greater Cincinnati area and LOVED Uncle Al. BTW, is your hospital the one who is offering cardiac nurses $30,000 as a sign on???? Sounds like management in this area is chasing all the nurses away, then trying to spend big bucks to get them back. Brilliant, huh????
    Glad I don't live there anymore
    My advice to you is to go agency. That way you will be working independently and can choose when and where you will work at greatly increased pay (Hey, I just heard of a travel company this past week that is offering nurses $35,000 for six weeks!!!!). We're facing a CRITICAL shortage, folks, and our services are up for the highest bidder... When is management going to wake up. We really DO NOT have to put up with this abuse anymore.
  3. by   Mimi2RN
    If I remember right!

    I know an old lady who swallowed a fly...perhaps she'll die!
    I know an old lady who swallowed a spider...that wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly...I don't know why she swallowed the fly...perhaps she'll die!
    I know an old lady who swallowed a bird...how absurd, to swallow a bird.
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider...etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a cat. Fancy that! To swallow a cat!
    She swallowed the cat to catch the bird...etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a dog. What a hog! To swallow a dog!
    She swallowed a dog to catch the cat....etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a horse. She's dead, of course!

    Did I miss any?


    Are they paying you to take call? In our dept, if it's slow and you get docked but agree to come in (some people like a paycheck), you still don't get any call pay or anything extra for coming in!
  4. by   shanaRN
    All FTers have to take call in our ED. You get call pay and usually, depending on who is charge, they will send you home when they don't really need you anymore. But, we don't have a choice.

    Our hospital decided to hire a head hunter group to fill positions in CCU, ICU and Tele. The applicant only signs for a 6 month contract and gets $13,000. After their six months they can leave or stay. There is no telling how much they spent to hire this company and as we all know, if they would just pay their nurses what they deserve in the first place they wouldn't be doing without so many nurses. But, who are we? JUST nurses.

    :0( :0(
  5. by   VickyRN
    I repeat.... WE REALLY DO NOT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS ABUSE ANYMORE!!!!
  6. by   SmilingBluEyes
    I'd walk. c-ya
  7. by   dawngloves
    There was an old lady that swallowed a horse, she's dead of course.
  8. by   l.rae
    Originally posted by VickyRN

    LRae, I grew up in the greater Cincinnati area and LOVED Uncle Al. BTW, is your hospital the one who is offering cardiac nurses $30,000 as a sign on???? Sounds like management in this area is chasing all the nurses away, then trying to spend big bucks to get them back. Brilliant, huh????
    Glad I don't live there anymore
    My advice to you is to go agency. That way you will be working independently and can choose when and where you will work at greatly increased pay (Hey, I just heard of a travel company this past week that is offering nurses $35,000 for six weeks!!!!). We're facing a CRITICAL shortage, folks, and our services are up for the highest bidder... When is management going to wake up. We really DO NOT have to put up with this abuse anymore.
    Vicky...hello!...No, the hosp. that offered the ludicrous sign on bonus was either Christ Hospital or University..can't remember...they are both part of the Health Alliance as is Jewish and Fort Hamilton.....l worked for The Fort b4 going where l am now......Guess what?....I was actually on the Uncle Al program when l was about 3 yr....l'm not about to tell you how long that has been..LOL.......Agency nursing has been floating around in my head too...l really hate to give up...l'm going to give it some time, see what happens....they are supposed to pay us to be on call and pay premium rate if you actually come in to work....they definatly should not have FT nurses taking call if they want to keep them....so...l may end up taking that walk...l don't know....LR
  9. by   l.rae
    Originally posted by Mimi2RN
    If I remember right!

    I know an old lady who swallowed a fly...perhaps she'll die!
    I know an old lady who swallowed a spider...that wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
    She swallowed the spider to catch the fly...I don't know why she swallowed the fly...perhaps she'll die!
    I know an old lady who swallowed a bird...how absurd, to swallow a bird.
    She swallowed the bird to catch the spider...etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a cat. Fancy that! To swallow a cat!
    She swallowed the cat to catch the bird...etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a dog. What a hog! To swallow a dog!
    She swallowed a dog to catch the cat....etc
    I know an old lady who swallowed a horse. She's dead, of course!

    Did I miss any?




    Are they paying you to take call? In our dept, if it's slow and you get docked but agree to come in (some people like a paycheck), you still don't get any call pay or anything extra for coming in!
    Sounds about right Mimi....check out the link in shygirl's post...it's got the whole ditty.......LR
  10. by   fedupnurse
    BadBird I am with you. I am seriously looking into Agency and getting out of the hell hole where Iwork. On call would be the last straw. I'd quit on the spot, new job lined up or not. It is mandatory OT plain and simple. I couldn't agree more l.rae, when the hell are nurses going to stand up and scream I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS CRAPPY TREATMENT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, Peter, Paul and Mommy 2 has a live version of that song.
  11. by   JailRN
    That's why I don't do hospital nursing-hate to keep bragging what a sweet deal I have as a jail nurse, work 7-3 (not 3:30) M-F, all weekends off, if a holiday falls on a weekday, I get it off if I want it off, OT ONLY if I CHOOSE TOO. No call back, no nothing!!! Except great pay, great benefits, and being appreciated by the jailers for what the nurses do. (before they hired nurses, our jailers did all the medication distribution, screanings, etc, ) Need I say more??? Do not put up with it. There's a nursing shortage. You can go anywhere you want to!!
  12. by   l.rae
    Originally posted by fedupnurse
    BadBird I am with you. I am seriously looking into Agency and getting out of the hell hole where Iwork. On call would be the last straw. I'd quit on the spot, new job lined up or not. It is mandatory OT plain and simple. I couldn't agree more l.rae, when the hell are nurses going to stand up and scream I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS CRAPPY TREATMENT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, Peter, Paul and Mommy 2 has a live version of that song.
    Peter Paul and MOMMY?...l never heard of them......l'd like to get ahold of that......at a music store?......LR
  13. by   patadney
    Where I work,we have to sign up for 1 mandatory overtime shift every pay period(2 wk). If we get "busted"(have to work),we get incentive pay. I have signed up for only 3 8hr shifts a wk,so a shift q 2 wk is not a big deal for me. I have already taken early retirement from another hospital so I can afford to do this. If I need extra money,I just have to let someone know and I will get extra hr. I can go on vacations without using vacation time and have built up a good bank. I have time to babysit my grandson 1 morning a week. I am allowed to have family health insurance with working part time and that has saved us bundles. My only complaint is the policy here that if you take a weekend off sick,you have to make it up,even if you are off for a long time with a serious illness! One of my coworkers has a seriously ill husband and had to take several weeks off and I hear she is coming back weekends only so she won't have to work all the weekends for a year! Guess if I need to take any serious time off,I will just retire again! Seriously,agency is the way to go at least in the larger cities where there is more than 1 hospital. Good luck!

close