Help! Constipation Schultz Cocktail Recipe :-)
- 0Apr 10, '09 by vyperOk All,
I am urgently needing the concoction recipe and education for a patient regarding a Schultz Cocktail...
Four of us at work can't remember it..and have different versions of the mix...
Would greatly appreciate your help...Got to love mental health nursing :-)
Thanks in Advance. V.
- 15,091 Visits
- 2Apr 10, '09 by oldladyRNYou guys crack me up, power pudding. My sister has something she uses at the nursing home where she works, and they call it something like a "hot slider". If the patient is on lactulose, you mix the lactulose with prune juice and melted butter. When that gets sucked down, beware of the blow-out.
- 2Apr 10, '09 by loricatusQuote from nerdtonurse?It's nicknamed--------COLON BLOW :wink2:Not sure we've named it, but we do 1/2 hot coffee 1/2 microwaved prune juice with a lactulose chaser. Just go ahead and sit them on the BSC when they finish swallowing....Thar she blows!
Remember the old SNL skit? http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...n-blow/229046/
- 2Apr 12, '09 by VivaLasViejas GuideOK, I've never heard of the "hot slider", but that's what I love about allnurses.........I learn something new every day!! And wouldn't you know, I happen to have a resident on my unit who hadn't had a good poop in ten days and wasn't satisfied with the results of the enema she got last night..........so after obtaining the necessary ingredients and nuking it for 45 seconds, I offered her the cocktail in the hope that she wouldn't insist on another enema.
It wasn't 30 minutes before the brew lived up to its name. The resident had three ginormous BMs within the next two hours, and was thinking about making a fourth deposit in the BSC when I left for the night. My reward was a bear hug from a VERY grateful elderly woman, who also told me that was the best thing anyone had done for her in the entire time she'd been there.
So, from Mrs. McK. to me to you, I say THANK YOU!! That stuff works like a charm!
- 1Apr 12, '09 by ktwlpnQuote from VivaLasViejasThat's just one of the percs of the job-actually making a difference and getting a hug to boot...Good for you...I call my specials 'The senior citizen's shooter" or the "warm brown cow" ----Warm PJ and MOM.....never fails..... The resident had three ginormous BMs within the next two hours, and was thinking about making a fourth deposit in the BSC when I left for the night. My reward was a bear hug from a VERY grateful elderly woman, who also told me that was the best thing anyone had done for her in the entire time she'd been there.