cranberry juice vs. cranberry capsules
- 0Jan 1, '03 by BelindaLPNI have been having recurrent UTI's for several years and am becoming resistant to the antibiotics used to treat them. A friend/co worker suggested taking cranberry capsules QD. I would really love to do this as I am becoming SICK of drinking juice all the time. Have any of you heard of this? If so, how do they compare to juice? Thanks for any input.
- 20,506 Visits
- 0Jan 1, '03 by SmilingBluEyesa great resource to treat recurrent UTI's may be no further than your local Midwife or WHNP (women's health care NP)...or a naturopath. These people can help you come up with a NON antibiotic plan to combat and prevent UTI's. I can't say the cranberry supplements are equal to the juice for sure, but I believe they DO have worth. If this is as big as problem as all that, try the naturopath/NP/CNM route! Good luck!
- 0Jan 1, '03 by LadyZadCranberry tablets!! What a great idea! I have never heard of them. I also have frequent problems with UTIs, very bothersome. In the past I would drink a lot of cranberry juice to help treat the infection, but I really dislike the high sugar content in the juice to get the medicinal effects. I found a few websites with info on cranberry tablets and their effects on UTIs.
- 0Jan 2, '03 by KELLYGIRLI HAVE ALSO HEARD OF WOMEN HAVING RECURRENT UTI'S B/C THEIR HUSBANDS CARRY THE INFECTION AND DON'T KNOW THAT THEY HAVE IT. MEN CAN CARRY A UTI AND NEVER KNOW THAT THEY HAVE IT. HIS PARTNER RECEIVES THE GERMS DURING SEX CAUSING A UTI. SHE IS SYMPTOMATIC, TAKES ANTIBIOTICS, GETS WELL, HAS SEX.....IT'S A VICIOUS <--(SP?) CYCLE... UNTIL THE MAN IS DIAGNOSED WITH THE UTI AND TAKES ANTIBIOTICS. THIS MAY BE THE PROB....JUST THOUGHT I WOULD PUT IN MY 2 CENTS.
DEFINITELY AVOID THE NURSES CLINICAL BLADDER (NURSES ARE WELL KNOWN FOR HAVING A BLADDER MADE OF STEEL AND WON'T PEE FOR A WHOLE SHIFT OR EVEN ONE WHOLE DAY....WAITING TOO LONG TO PEE AND STRETCHING OUT THE BLADDER). IF YOU HOLD YOUR URINE FOR A LONG TIME... YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO HARBOR BACTERIA CAUSING A UTI. ALSO, AS COMMON SENSE AND NURSING SCHOOL WILL TELL YOU .... LADIES SHOULD WIPE FROM FRONT TO BACK. CLEAN "DOWN THERE" BEFORE AND AFTER SEX. IF YOU ALREADY KNEW THIS .... SORRY FOR SOUNDING LIKE A KNOW IT ALL.... JUST THOUGHT I'D PASS THE INFO ON TO SOMEONE.
- 0Jan 2, '03 by hapeewendywell what good is a cranberry tablet, I mean it doesnt go with vodka at all!
I want to get a lil buzz while preventing UTI's thanks..
actually one of my co workers takes cranberry tabs or capsules or whatever they are and she said they work like a charm , no UTI's , give it a try!
damn us and our shorter urethras!
UTI's are a pain...
- 0Jan 2, '03 by RN from OZWe have been usung them in the nursing home setting for 12 months now to see if they reduce the UTI rate in the elderly.
they have been great !!! Stats showed an 85% drop in the UTI rates in the last 12 months and our ladies that get them on a regular basis have been UTI free.
I'd give it a go, the AB's just start the vicious thrush cycle.