Can you get strep if tonsils have been removed?Register Today!
- by ShutterBug Feb 21, '06Hi all, quick question, can I still get strep if I had my tonsils removed as a kid? I've had a swollen, dry and very sore throat for over a week, have been very nauseous and just feeling yucky. Is strep a possibility without tonsils? I tried to find information through online searches can't find an answer to the question. Thanks for any help!
- Feb 21, '06 by DalzacI had strep throat all the time when I was a kid. Then I had my tonsils out when I was 28. I have had strep once or twice since then, but nothing like when I was a kid. So the answer is yes but not very often
- Feb 21, '06 by ShutterBugThanks! I guess I better make an appointment... I hate going to the doctors.
But I also read that strep doesn't always need an antibiotic, it only helps clear it faster. Is this true?
- Feb 21, '06 by GodslilnurseNo, you need to get it treated. Strep can affect your heart if it goes untreated. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.
- Feb 21, '06 by Larry77Rheumatic fever is the potential complication of a streptococcus infection which can cause endocarditis along with other heart complications.
Always have you and your kids sore throats checked out, as you prob know it's just a throat swab to test for strep.
Rheumatic Fever Info page
- Feb 21, '06 by KuteNurseHello!
Well, I am a pediatric nurse in a clinic setting. I had strep throat for the first time about 3 years ago. Tonsils swelled up to the size of golf balls, air was closing and the whole works. I was on prednisone and had to get them removed. About 3 weeks ago, I did a throat swab on a child and he coughed allllll over me. lol Well, I did get strep. Yes, just because you do not have tonsils, does not mean you can't get strep.
- Feb 23, '06 by carolinapoohStrep is a bacteria. I can't imagine that having or not having tonsils makes a difference. I've been exposed to strep throat (DH had it and we didn't know it), I have tonsils, and have never had it.
Tonsils are comprised of lymphatic tissue, so having them and getting strep throat probably just makes it worse because of that (you generally end up with tonsillitis!) - but I can't see where it would make a difference in actually getting it to start with. If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it, I would suppose.
- Feb 23, '06 by HeartsOpenWideOf course! But you will not get any more tonsilitis!!:roll
- Feb 23, '06 by meownsmileTrue,, you can get it even after tonisils are removed. On a side note, famiily pets can also harbor strep and it is/can be transmitted to humans.
- Feb 23, '06 by IndyLovely. So how accurate is the rapid strep test?