TIPS/Info for passing NCLEX

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

Hi,

To everyone who passed recent nclex-rn, can you please share what helped you best (cd's, printed materials, etc..) ? Where to focus? and how did you study/prepare?

thanks... this will help a lot of us who are scheduled to take the exams soon

1 Votes

Read your books.Find a quiet place to do it. Forget about dinners on time and wash. Forget about baking for the kids and cleaning the house.Learn all the meds and side effects you can. Submitt to some nursing journals to start thinking like a nurse. Get used to a few hours of sleep and be ready for everyone you know to get pissed off because they have not heard from you. Sleep now, you will not do much in school. You will see meds marching across your eyes, you will swear a care plan was invented by the devil himself. Get ready to gain weight, snacking on the run and while studying is a biggie!But, in the end you will make it. Buy some good nclex books they will help you with your studies and at the same time, prepare for the nclex. Zar

1 Votes

I used saunders CD to study.

I studyed for a total of about 12 hours for the nclex. I would study for about 30 mintues and then take a break. After i took the test i really felt no amount of studying could have prepared me for it.

Most of it was priority, popular illnesses and diseases and pharm for me.

Good luck!

1 Votes
Specializes in Rehab, Step-down,Tele,Hospice.

Hi Paula,

Im doing the Kaplan thing, hope it works! I passed the pre-nclex with a higher score than national average so I feel fairly confidant, but still nervous. Good luck to ya.

1 Votes
Specializes in Med/Surg, Intermediate.

Hi, I had used Saunders, Lippincott, and the NCLEX 3000 CD. I felt that the books were beneficial because I could take them with me and study if I had a moment or find a comfortable place to review. The CDs were good because I could take practice tests and see what the rationales were immediately after answering the question. I found that method of studyng (paying attention to rationales) to be most helpful. The CD ROM also allowed me to practice what it was like to test on the computer. I felt prepared for the test when I went in, but once I came out I was so unsure of everything (as is the response from most test-takers). There was a class my school offered that reviewed systems and went over test-taking strategies. It lasted the entire last semester and we had to do anywhere between 100-200 questions per week over 14 weeks time in addition to our regular studying. Research shows hat those who practice at least 3000 quetions or so have higher chances of passing the NCLEX. Some people say they underestimated the test, so it may be helpful to over do it with the studying so you go in ready to do your best.

My test covered all areas (Peds, Maternity, Geriatric) and all topics (Neuro, Endocrine, etc). I feel like studying insulin and other endocrine issues was beneficial. Also, really focus on questions that deal with prioritizing patients and recognizing what should be done first in emergent situations. Really, you can get any kind of question on any topic, but those were some areas that were helpful in my preparation.

I hope this helps. I can send you the Lippincott book in case you're interested and I think I have the NCLEX 3000 CD here as well...anything to help a fellow nurse. Best wishes. :)

1 Votes
Specializes in LTC, ER, ICU,.

understanding what the questions are asking you is the key. when you are doing practice questions, make sure you understand why the answer is right or wrong. all the best to you.

1 Votes

paula, if I may, could "we" ask the moderator to make your post a "sticky" so others can use your thread about NCLEX Tips to comment and or ask questions?

paula77720 said:
hi,

to everyone who passed recent NCLEX-RN, can you please share what helped you best (cd's, printed materials, etc..) ? where to focus? and how did you study/prepare?

thanks... this will help a lot of us who are scheduled to take the exams soon

1 Votes
love-a-nurse said:
paula, if I may, could "we" ask the moderator to make your post a "sticky" so others can use your thread about NCLEX Tips to comment and or ask questions?

sure you can! thanks a lot guys for all your input. I'm doing lippincott and Kaplan right now, will take exam in 3 weeks. will let you know.

goodluck to all and sending prayers your way ?

1 Votes

paula, thanks. I will ask.

paula77720 said:
sure you can! thanks a lot guys for all your input. I'm doing lippincott and Kaplan right now, will take exam in 3 weeks. will let you know.

goodluck to all and sending prayers your way ?

1 Votes

Pray hard, and use Kaplan!! They teach you how the NCLEX wants you to think....!!! Kaplan, prayers, Kaplan, Prayers!!!!!!!!!! Good luck everyone!

1 Votes

i'm taking the kaplan class. i hope it helps.

1 Votes
Specializes in medical, surgery/ob-gyn/urology.
gentri said:
I'm taking the Kaplan class. I hope it helps.

I did the questions in the Saunders, lippincott, and Kaplan. I believe getting to know what the question is really asking was very important and the Kaplan book helped me a lot in figuring out how to go about choosing the right answer. Also, I suggest the night before not to do any studying and try to get a good night sleep. You probably will be up half the night with anxiety so go to bed early! ? Good luck!

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment