RN's that dont like showering? Whats with that?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi

I would like to share with you about a situation regarding a couple of RNs that dont like doing showers. I work as a nurses aide in a team nursing environment, well that is what the hospital prides itself on however its now becoming a joke. Another nurses aide and another nurse LPN have been confronted by RNs who state to them that they will need to do all the showers, answer buzzers etc. So the patient load would be 10-11 patients. So the nurse aide did about 10 showers, made beds, answer buzzers etc. I advised this nurse aide to report that RN as its not fair and you are not a machine. She shrugged it off with the idea she will not be listened to.

I am studying for my RNs and I work too as a nurse aide. If I did come across this RN I would be telling her bluntly what I think and definetly reporting her. I cannot believe the mentality of some RNs believing that they dont have to shower anyone anymore. That is certainly not what I have been taught and I have no problems showering patients. It truly amazes me in this day and age that the team nursing model of care is disrupted.

Does anyone have this kind of problem where they work? What have you done to resolve?

Look forward to your reply :rolleyes:

Hmmm... well, I'm a nurse (LPN) and I help aides as much as I can. But sometimes I am busy and I don't get to help out as much as I like to. I also use to be a CNA and I can't IMAGINE the nurses trying to do showers and still get their other responsibilities covered. Maybe that could be the problem, maybe the feel like they don't have enough time. BUT if it's in their job description at the facility where you work then they should definitely do THEIR showers, or at least help out where they can. That's just my opinion.

~Crystal

I don't do showers either unless for some reason we have no CNA's for the day. While the CNA is showering the patient, I do remove dirty linen and make the bed. We are also a team - I take patients to the bathroom, empty urinals. But being off the floor inside a shower is not a great idea.

steph

I know that where I used to work, The CNA's had to do all the cares and linen changes. We also did CNA care plans, vitals on all pt., and recording intake and output, and set of admissions. The CNA's usually had between a 7-10 pt load. We were very busy. It was the nurses responsibility to pass meds and assess the pts. They were also very busy. However, if they(let say the majority) saw that we were behind, they would lend a hand. We were, however, supposed t ask another CNA for help first. We did always come across a nurse that was not willing to help, even for a simple boost up in bed or turn (granted I asked the nurse when they weren't busy). Anywhere you work you are going to run into that. According to one of my classes, however, our teacher says that the nurses do all the baths in hospitals. That has not been my experience. I guess it all depends on where you work and their policies and staffing. All in all, I belive everyone should work as a team to get things done. I know how frustrating it is when people aren't willing to help.

Specializes in Emergency, Trauma.

When I was a nurse intern (utilised as a PCA/CNA), I did all of the bathing, linens, VS, and Accuchecks for 8 pts. I remember being frustrated back then when I would see the nurses sitting down while I ran around. However, now as an RN, I know that even when the nurses are sitting, they are still working, i.e., charting, paging docs, getting orders, charting some more, reviewing charts, looking up lab results, and charting some more, updating family that feels the need to call every hour, clarifying orders that are unreadable or just plain wrong, and on and on. These are just a few of the things they might be doing if you see them sitting. When they are not sitting, they are assessing, giving meds, starting IVs, wound care, counseling, teaching, more assessing, doing admits, restarting the IV a pt just pulled out, getting behind with all of their other pts because one is crashing, and on and on and on. Of course, if the nurse is not busy, she should be willing to help. I don't feel any work is beneath me and I will not turn down a request to help someone else out, but please understand that the duties I outlined above have to take priority above ADLs. Yes, the nurse can help the CNA, but who can help the nurse if she gets behind?

At the hospital I work at as a tech. They do team nursing also and the R.N. does 0 patient care. We do all caths, finger sticks, pvr's etc. They have a LPN to pass meds and sometimes a R.N. will get assigned to meds but usually not b/c they will get mad for having to pass meds. Then each R.N. will have no less than 2 cna or techs to do patient care. Each tech will have around 7 pts. each to all adl's patient care etc. The r.n is responsible for making sure we get everything done and usually does not help out at all. She is responsible for charting on the computer which sometimes the r.n fall alseep at the computer doing or shops online. Many will get mad if they are asked to help out. They don't answer call lights either not even pick up the receiver by them to answer it. I am considering quitting b/c I feel that I am responsible for too many things and too many pts. at this hospital. Its just too much.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.
When I was a nurse intern (utilised as a PCA/CNA), I did all of the bathing, linens, VS, and Accuchecks for 8 pts. I remember being frustrated back then when I would see the nurses sitting down while I ran around. However, now as an RN, I know that even when the nurses are sitting, they are still working, i.e., charting, paging docs, getting orders, charting some more, reviewing charts, looking up lab results, and charting some more, updating family that feels the need to call every hour, clarifying orders that are unreadable or just plain wrong, and on and on. These are just a few of the things they might be doing if you see them sitting. When they are not sitting, they are assessing, giving meds, starting IVs, wound care, counseling, teaching, more assessing, doing admits, restarting the IV a pt just pulled out, getting behind with all of their other pts because one is crashing, and on and on and on. Of course, if the nurse is not busy, she should be willing to help. I don't feel any work is beneath me and I will not turn down a request to help someone else out, but please understand that the duties I outlined above have to take priority above ADLs. Yes, the nurse can help the CNA, but who can help the nurse if she gets behind?

Good post!

I think that's the essence of it right there: nurses can, and should help the CNA whenever and whereever they're able, but while we can do the CNA's job, they cannot do ours. There is much more to being a staff nurse than meets the eye, and I know if I'm sitting down during the course of a shift, it's NOT because I have time to surf the Internet or sip coffee!

Of course, every facility has nurses who manage to find time for personal phone calls while the aides are running their rear ends off, just as there are aides who take q 1 hour smoke breaks and can't be found when Mrs. Smith needs off the commode for the 50th time this morning while the RN is dealing with the crashing patient two doors down. The point, however, should NOT be to re-hash the old arguments over whether nurses or CNAs work harder, but to acknowledge the fact that MOST healthcare workers bust their butts every day to provide quality care.......usually under very stressful circumstances and for less than optimal pay and benefits.

I work as a tech and my hospital does team nursing. In the this approach the R.N basically just do charting at the computer. Many nurses on my floor will fall asleep doing this or shop online the whole shift. They have a LPN to pass meds and do treatments so they don't do that and each nurse will have no less than 2 techs to do all finger sticks, caths,vitals, pvrs, showers, etc. Being a tech I am considering quitting b/c its just too much and watching the r.n sat and talk on the cell phone is disheartning. Many students in my class want to work at this hospital b/c they know they won't have to do anything. They just will have to make sure the cna/tech gets its done. Its more of a paperwork position with the team nursing at this hospital to be a R.N.

Specializes in Gerontology.
You could not have put it any better.
Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

Quite honestly I have enough to do without doing the CNA's job. Will I help my CNA do a bath......absolutely. Will I clean up a patient that needs cleaning up when I'm in the room......absolutely. Am I too good to do a bath, no I'm not. Do I do baths? No, that's the CNA's job. I have enough to do. If that makes it seem like I'm "too good to do a bath", that's someone elses perception and not my concern.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

Some of your posts just crack me up! :roll I always check the forum to see what new things you have posted. Your candor is an absolute delight. However. . .

. . .the best answer I can give you is to wait until you are an RN. You will have, oh, so much more work to do than give a patient a shower. I would shower a patient if I wanted to make some physical observations to add to my knowledge about them for my care plan. Otherwise, you're the aide, it's your job. It's that simple. If you're overwhelmed with work then I would rather you came to me, as your RN, so we can strategize on how you can cut a few corners so you can finish off your shift. I'm easy going. I'd let you forgo a couple of showers on patients who didn't absolutely need them that day. But I would want you to be thinking positively and not being so angry. Nursing is a creative profession. There are creative ways to deal with this shower situation and they don't involve having the RN do showers you won't possibly be able to get to. This is nitpicky stuff and something that can be solved with compromise. Team nursing doesn't necessarily mean that we all share each other's jobs. It has to do with organizing and meeting expectations. This is, hopefully, what you are learning in nursing school. When you are finally an RN and have your first job please don't fall into thinking that you have to help the CNA do her job and keep up with your own as well. Read some of the horrible situations new RNs who sympathize with CNAs have gotten themselves into in the First Year in Nursing forum. I fear you may be headed toward the same fate.

Keep smilin' Keep the posts coming. I'd love to take you under my wing. I would turn you into such a supernurse. . . :lol2:

I agree completely.

I worked as an unlicensed tech for 2 years.

When I first got my RN, I busted my butt trying to help out the CNA/LVN's. Then I found out, that while I'm behind the desk trying desperately to catch up on orders, review labs, and have 2 MD's on 2 different lines, they are all at lunch and don't want to answer the call light becuase "you're sitting right next to it, why don't you answer it?" For the first year I rarely took a full lunch break if I took a break at all. I'll still help, but if I am entering the telephone order I just took, and have a stack of charts waiting to be verified, I'll suggest you find someone else first.

+ Add a Comment